Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be a stupid question but one of my buddies said he does it once in a while to clean out the injectors. I know if works in the car but I want to check here before I listen to the same kid that put oil in his coolant resevoir before.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Can you run fuel injection cleaner through a RC51 (jesse_k)

I personally would be quite interested in what is the ingredients of this "cleaner"

Also the ratio of this cocktail is critical it is usually designed for automotive size fuel tanks.

Also in some Automotive Injection systems the entire system is in metal and certain cleaner/conditioner products are designed towards these and can be quite harmful to rubber components. (the RC has rubber fuel lines and several rubber seals)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like to use Techron, allthough I have never used it in any of my bikes, no paticular reason, just have never done it.

Reason I say Techron is, I allmost exclusively run Chevron gas in my truck, BMW, GM and Toyota all use Chevron for their EPA tests and classify it as a top tier fuel, also on just ablut any moto or auto forum I have been on I hear that Techron from Chevron is one of the only fuel system cleaners that is worth a damn...

anyone have any other comments on using Techron? That would be my reccomendation....and like SP2 said...quantities are designed for auto tanks, so about a third to half a bottle of Techron would be good for the RC51 since one bottle treats 12 gallons.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My buddy ran the automotive cleaner in his 03 R1 with no ill effects all because I was dead even with him from a second gear roll on up to the limiter in top gear on my 02 RC51. He claimed it ran better after he was just pissed. HeHe.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Can you run fuel injection cleaner through a RC51 (sp2pilot)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sp2pilot »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also in some Automotive Injection systems the entire system is in metal and certain cleaner/conditioner products are designed towards these and can be quite harmful to rubber components. (the RC has rubber fuel lines and several rubber seals)</TD></TR></TABLE>

correct. O-rings in most modern fuel injected cars are silicone, not rubber. the short lengths of rubber hose that you find, isn't just regular fuel line as well...

i'd imagine any QUALITY cleaner, (PenRay, Techron) in the proper amount would be ok. it's also important to avoid any cleaner that contains Isopropenol alcohol, as it pits the injector's walls, causing poor performance, faulty spray patterns and leakage.....

Modified by Rigor at 5:16 PM 7/22/2005

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

from what i hear from the guy that owns his moto shop in santa maria is that if you run super gas (91 octane) or higher in your bike everytime you fill up there should be no need for the cleaners because that gas already has it in it...yes it might make a difference but i dought it would be that noticable and if so it might just be physcosymatic...do risk it and just run the techron!!!!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i wouldnt think it would do anything, but my buddy has an 05 1krr and he uses injector cleaner every few tanks and his bike is starting to smoke pretty bad, and it only has 3300 miles. i dont know if its related or not, but it kinda makes me wonder.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re:

Almost all cars have rubber somewhere in their fuel systems so the majority of cleaners should be safe for rubber. BG 44k is a good product. Ive never used it in a bike though. If you run race fuel you should run a tank of premium through every once and a while though. race fuel leaves some nasty gumy deposits in the throttle bodies.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Re: (seldom57)

Use premium fuel end of story. The only additive I've ever thrown in is a bit of fuel stabilizer over our long winter.

I'

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Re: (Darth Humungus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Darth Humungus »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Use premium fuel end of story. The only additive I've ever thrown in is a bit of fuel stabilizer over our long winter.

I'</TD></TR></TABLE>

+1
I put a little Sea Foam in before winter storage, pretty much for the last tank fill. The amount I add is about a third of a bottle due to the proportionately smaller fuel tank in relation to a car's tank. I always do this with any vehicle that will be stored for long periods of time, and have had no ill effects.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

As an automotive tech, most fuel injector cleaners that you add to your fuel are meant to go though all the different types of fuel lines and will not damage the fuel system. But, they also will not clean much if anything.
The only cleaners I have ever used that actually CLEAN anything are the injector cleanors that you must get the veh. up to operating temp. then dissable fuel pump, and install the cleaner directly to the fuel rail. Then, you start the veh. and run it off the cleaner until the can is empty. The reason the other cleaners don't work is the fact they have to be mild enouph to not damage the rest of the fuel system , then dillute it with 15-20 gallons of fuel.
Automive system don't say they need cleaned until 40-50 thousand miles. If you have that many miles on your bike, go for it. If you are like the rest of us and only put a few thousand on a year and not 20-50, don't worry about it. Just use high quality fuel, and go riding instead of messing with something that isn't broke.
just my

·
Registered
1 Posts
This might be a stupid question but one of my buddies said he does it once in a while to clean out the injectors. I know if works in the car but I want to check here before I listen to the same kid that put oil in his coolant resevoir before.
Yes, you can! 44K is what I’d recommend. Your tank is 3.6 gallons so you only need a little bit (it’s about 60ml total out of the can). I do this about 10k miles!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts