Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Ok, aside from the borrowed line from the movie Philadelphia..
here is the deal...
The chain on my 998 is the stock one and needs to be replaced soon. From reading other posts, I have gathered that going to a 520 chain is the way to go..
I have recently added a half system and other than changing the gearing i do not plan on any other performance related mods.
So my questions are:

1- Why is going to a 520 chain better?

2- How much gearing shoudl be changed or lowered?

3- Which sproket brand do I go with if i do change the gearing?

4- Is is better to loose teeth upfront or in the back sprocket?

Thank you all for your help and time...

kam

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
"If your mother okay's it then that is fine with me."

You did say: ... like I am a 4 yr old.
Pete

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's marginally lighter, and most high end chains (like a DID ERV3 among others) are very strong. Look up "rotating weight".
That's up to you and your riding, but Ducatis are usually geared pretty high. I would say 4 teeth up in the back would be just fine- but YMMV.
Any high quality brand as long as it's steel in the front and hard anodized aluminum in the rear. Ducati Performance, AFAM, etc etc.....
I'd say go up in the rear. Going down in the front loses a tooth, thereby creating a tighter circumference for the chain to negotiate. This may add a bit to drag, and may decrease chain life although to what extrent I'm not sure. Also there are less teeth to carry the same load, which should also decrease durability a bit.

good luck!

Thank you all for your help and time...

kam[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
506 Posts
D-C said:
It's marginally lighter, and most high end chains (like a DID ERV3 among others) are very strong. Look up "rotating weight".
That's up to you and your riding, but Ducatis are usually geared pretty high. I would say 4 teeth up in the back would be just fine- but YMMV.
Any high quality brand as long as it's steel in the front and hard anodized aluminum in the rear. Ducati Performance, AFAM, etc etc.....
I'd say go up in the rear. Going down in the front loses a tooth, thereby creating a tighter circumference for the chain to negotiate. This may add a bit to drag, and may decrease chain life although to what extrent I'm not sure. Also there are less teeth to carry the same load, which should also decrease durability a bit.
[/QUOTE]
yep what he said .... but on a side note ........

the little one goes on front and the bigger one goes on the back

·
Registered
84 Posts
Voyager--Check out this site to get a good idea of what changing the gearing will do to the bike at various RPM points. http://www.cryohold.com/bike/gears.html

I ride a '05 749 and going up in ratio from the stock 14/39 749 standard; 14/38 is 749S OEM) to a 15/42 520 chain conversion made a helluva difference in the acceleration of the bike out the hole:rockon . But remember going up in ratio will also effect the top-end with the general rule being that the higher the ratio the lower the speed for any given rpm point and gear selection.

VoyagerDude said:
.... and the chain around the neck !!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks man, I'm running a 41T DP hard anodized alu sprocket in the back. 14/41 up from 14/38. Works much better is city and outside.

Gryphon said:
Voyager--Check out this site to get a good idea of what changing the gearing will do to the bike at various RPM points. http://www.cryohold.com/bike/gears.html

I ride a '05 749 and going up in ratio from the stock 14/39 749 standard; 14/38 is 749S OEM) to a 15/42 520 chain conversion made a helluva difference in the acceleration of the bike out the hole:rockon . But remember going up in ratio will also effect the top-end with the general rule being that the higher the ratio the lower the speed for any given rpm point and gear selection.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I went through the same decision making process Kam and we have Twinkie bikes. We'll junior here it is in plain english. 15/39 ratio, most widely used and best compromise. 520 ERV3 chain, stronger than OEM 525(says Jason)he's been spot on so far. AFAM or STM quick change. Costs more initially, but replacement sprockets are cheaper. I've seen cheap lightweight sprockets fall apart at the track. If you track, spend now. The ducati puts alot of back torque to the rear, and the sprockets get most of it. Second, part to your question about loosing teeth up front. No! This is the poormans solution to gearing. Good luck with the bike. Now I have to keep looking for a DP tach.

·
Juvenile Old Member
981 Posts
Shazzam replied to a post a while ago called Huntly Tooth Chain Data and I had kept it in my favourites but with the new forum base it appears that it may be gone, I tried a search and cam up with nothing.

See what you can find on that cos it was all ya wonna know about chains, sizes and optimal geraing etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Enhanced Motorcycle gear/rpm/sprockets/speed calculator

Gryphon said:
Voyager--Check out this site to get a good idea of what changing the gearing will do to the bike at various RPM points.
Gryphon said:

Or the Enhanced Version of the Motorcycle gear/rpm/sprockets/speed calculator on: http://www.xs4all.nl/~ator0437/GRSSC.htm.
More presets and able to show the consequences on RPM of changing sprockets at optional driving speeds.

Regards, Ducmans

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you all ..

Darren: Did 520 with 15/39 IS what I plan on doing..
Its def not something I can do myself, I could probably swap the sprockets but installing a new chain is beyond my boundries of self confidence..
If I was to set the proper sag on the bike and wanted the ride height a bit taller as well, do you guys suggest I do that after or before the new chain?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Darrendeep6 said:
520 ERV3 chain, stronger than OEM 525(says Jason)he's been spot on so far.
Not in tensile strength, the OEM chain on a 998 is a DID 525HV that is rated at 9100 lbs. vs 8600 lbs..........might not be enough to matter, but it isn't stronger than the stock chain.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts