Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new exotic and was considering a D16RR but was put off for various reasons. Have wanted an MV since the America (very old cool) and the modern 750 came out. Finally they are established in Canada.

I'm looking for the usual information.

• reliability
  • dealer backup in Canada and the USA
  • maintenance
  • insurance recommendations - pricing in Canada
  • known issues / TSB I should address if required
  • trackday info and anything else you can provide

Much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
I'm in the market for a new exotic and was considering a D16RR but was put off for various reasons. Have wanted an MV since the America (very old cool) and the modern 750 came out. Finally they are established in Canada.

I'm looking for the usual information.
  • reliability
  • dealer backup in Canada and the USA
  • maintenance
  • insurance recommendations - pricing in Canada
  • known issues / TSB I should address if required
  • trackday info and anything else you can provide
Much appreciated.

I have a first Gen MV F4 1000S

Mine is a 2005 that I bought in '06 and it currently has 3,399 miles. I know I know, I need to ride it.

Common issues with this particular model are:
- These bikes tend to run hot. Some have overheating problem but I've never had this issue. There are aftermarket water pumps that can be had for a reasonable price that corrects this issue.
- EBS relay is in a bad location. The hot motor causes it to malfunction and it may need to be replaced. (EBS is the anti-engine breaking system similar to the version Rossi used on M1 in 2004) Without it, the engine will feel like it's running on 2 cylinders. It can be replaced for $100. I've relocated mine and can assist you if you need help with this.

Outside of this there aren't many major things to look out for. It's good chassis-wise, the electronics are good, and that's pretty much it in a nutshell.

It's been touted as the best handling production street bike of all time by a couple of the magazines.

The 2005-2006 model F4-1000S can be had anywhere from $8,500 - $11,000

The 2006-2007 R version can be had for close to the same

The 2008 MV F4 312R can be had for up to $14,000

The 2009 MV 1078RR can be had for $15,000+

But my old gal gets around the track pretty good.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aren't we limited to the F3 at least at first? or were they bringing the full line?
No I've called the dealers in TO and Montreal and 2 have the F4. Haven't heard from the 2nd dealer in TO. Heading to Montreal tomorrow to take a look and have a seat on it.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That red/silver F4 1000s is probably the best looking bike ever made....IMO!
Agreed. I've loved this styling for some time.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a first Gen MV F4 1000S

Mine is a 2005 that I bought in '06 and it currently has 3,399 miles. I know I know, I need to ride it.

Common issues with this particular model are:
- These bikes tend to run hot. Some have overheating problem but I've never had this issue. There are aftermarket water pumps that can be had for a reasonable price that corrects this issue.
- EBS relay is in a bad location. The hot motor causes it to malfunction and it may need to be replaced. (EBS is the anti-engine breaking system similar to the version Rossi used on M1 in 2004) Without it, the engine will feel like it's running on 2 cylinders. It can be replaced for $100. I've relocated mine and can assist you if you need help with this.

Outside of this there aren't many major things to look out for. It's good chassis-wise, the electronics are good, and that's pretty much it in a nutshell.

It's been touted as the best handling production street bike of all time by a couple of the magazines.

The 2005-2006 model F4-1000S can be had anywhere from $8,500 - $11,000

The 2006-2007 R version can be had for close to the same

The 2008 MV F4 312R can be had for up to $14,000

The 2009 MV 1078RR can be had for $15,000+

But my old gal gets around the track pretty good.

Thx Turbo, much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Went to Montréal on Sat. Must admit it was not what I expected. The photos do not do it justice. This is the first time I have ever seen one in the flesh. I've made my decision, I will be buying one of these. Will check into Dealer potential in my area, and go from there but considering it will be limited to track days and nice Sunday rides when I don't feel like doing trail on my HP2 I am not concerned with maintenance overall.

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
Went to Montréal on Sat. Must admit it was not what I expected. The photos do not do it justice. This is the first time I have ever seen one in the flesh. I've made my decision, I will be buying one of these. Will check into Dealer potential in my area, and go from there but considering it will be limited to track days and nice Sunday rides when I don't feel like doing trail on my HP2 I am not concerned with maintenance overall.

Which F4 will you be getting.

Make sure you post pics.

·
Is that Duke Red Enough?
308 Posts
I had a 750 Brutale about 5 years ago. It had 20,000km on it when I sold it to a mate. I did a major service on it for him recently at roughly 40,000km and it's still as good as new. The valve clearances hadn't moved at all.
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

I've since been riding this '07 1000R. It's track only so no long term mileage but I've probably done about 1,000km's in the last 12 months or so at short-circuits for testing and also at Phillip Island.
It's great. Just get it out of the trailer and press the go button.
It does get hot in Summer but if the bike is moving it's manageable. It's got plenty of stick so ya get f#cken sore arms from hanging on.
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motorcycle fairing Car

Every MV Agusta I've worked on has been a delight. They are superbly well made and well designed. Very easy to service and maintain. They can be let down by small things as Turbo has said, like the EBS relay, the radiators can crack, the exhaust gets VERY HOT inside the belly and the most common complaint, the rear drive hub, which just needs to cleaned and greased periodically.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Which F4 will you be getting.

Make sure you post pics.
Going with the 2010 F4, the only one available so far in Canada. Now to check dealer availability.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.