Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 483 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Whoa! Didn't really see that coming. I read they planned to do a temp layoff from about now til the end of the year, but this is drastic. :(

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Whats so sad? Its good riddance to bad rubbish!! Lets not forget the crap he was pulling with the AMA and completely ruining the series. We have probably witnessed a good backlash from those kind of stunts from the riders... who are the customers!

I never cared about Buell's (good or bad) but it did piss me off when they screwed up the AMA. Just for that I am glad they are out of business, and hope that is a lesson to other companies that try to "steal" racing championships!

PS: Why is the little birdy telling me this is a big marketing gimmick, kinda like the ads they put out about killing their little bike in the mags for the past few months. Come back with a different name or something. I hope I am wrong!

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
I have a hard time believing it would be cheaper to close the brand down than just stop production until you can sell the business to another concern for whatever you can get for it. With the Rotax-built engines there is little to nothing shared with Harley. Maybe it is a tax writeoff thing, I don't know. Maybe there will be a 2011 1200cc water-cooled Harley sportbike that looks suspiciously like the Buell, I hope so.

The 1125r was the first Buell I ever really considered. Really sucks that now that their products weren't complete crap to get the plug pulled.

I thought they sold very well in Europe? Very strange decision all-around.

Maybe Erik Buell can buy the rights back for a song.

·
Dr. Carbon
2,974 Posts
building americas sport bike lol, what a pos good riddance. where is the bail out system now? good thing, that some companies are allowed to die by the capitalist system, there is some hope!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Buell 1125 CR's ought to be going pretty cheap. Now, if only I had the slightest desire to own one.

·
Registered
757 Posts
DMG screwed up the AMA.
Yeah, talk about misplaced anger. :wacky Buell was give oportunity by DMG, they didn't force anything in the rules to be written too them.

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
I feel bad for Erik, if you ever met him, you would know how passionate about motorcycling he is, and how much of himself he has poured into all of this. The early Buells had a reputation for being less that top quality, that said, the underpowered/overtorqued lump of a motor they had in them made it a fun bike to ride. I still have my old S1w, and i'll never get rid of it. I have to admit, I was the loudest voice of all to scream "put a Rotax in it" and after they did, I never bought one. It's a shame to loose another American marque, we need all the manufactoring we can have right now in this country. I feel sad for the families of Buell's employees, guess it'll be a rough Cristmass this year for more than a few folks...

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
The 1125r was the first Buell I ever really considered. Really sucks that now that their products weren't complete crap to get the plug pulled.
+1.

And to all who think the Buell was a joke, not too long ago I would have agreed, Im gonna have to disagree. Their bikes since the move to the Rotax motor have been better than ever.

Definitely a sad day.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Very sad, it broke my heart hearing Erik saying that and I bet he was struggling not to cry in front of the camera.
The motorcycle industry is pretty much collapsing following years of unsustainable growth and we will see a very different landscape in a few years time. Given the news I've heard from Honda not even the Japanese giants will survive unscathed.

·
Registered
457 Posts
If any one is truely happy to see the Buell Motorcycle company die today then i guess you are pleased John Britten died young also!!! Don't hate someone because of who helped him financially or supplied him with engines, if you do you are just a weasel !!!!:twocents

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
...we need all the manufactoring we can have right now in this country.
Just yesterday I listened to an economic geek talk about how the rise in unskilled labor in America, through unregulated immigration, couple with the big drop in our manufacturing means that the bottom tier of our workforce will be squeezed like a lemon in the future. If you or your kids are in that group, good luck. America's poor will become poorer and greater in number while the rich will be playing golf and ponzi schemes.

1 - 20 of 483 Posts