Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious to know if anyone has anything bad or good to say about these rims ?? I have the opportunity to buy a set at a good price. I have been getting mixed feelings from people who has used them. Some people have said NEVER get carbon rims due to strength issues / history of rim failure on the track , and some people say its the best your money can buy !! Has anyone ever heard that the rims are too light and can cause INSTABILITY and frequent head shakes / tank slappers ?? Anyones advice here will be greatly appreciated !!

Regards , Roland

·
Registered
130 Posts
soslow said:
Freddie Spencer suffered carbon fibre rear wheel failure in practice at the South African GP in 1984 (the first round of the championship).
in 1984, there were no production carbon composite aircraft either, but now every manufacturer is building their new planes and helicopters almost entirely in composite. it seams that we might have progressed in composite technology over the last 21 years :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Wheel wheight

Good question though, the BST's seem to be the lightest out there, I'd like to hear from people who actually have them....
-Rocky-

·
Enormous Member
1,460 Posts
Start2Fab said:
in 1984, there were no production carbon composite aircraft either, but now every manufacturer is building their new planes and helicopters almost entirely in composite. it seams that we might have progressed in composite technology over the last 21 years :rolleyes:

Truest thing you have ever said.:clapper

·
Registered
130 Posts
sp2pilot said:
And a man with out a finished bike is,.. well,...... a pedestrian:woot:
When is a bike finished? Mine change continuously as I find new flaws, which is why I have other bikes: so that I can afford down time for projects :rockon

I find it strange you would agree with me on the state of modern composites, but you insist drsus will never have a successful carbon kickstand. :wacky

Have you got your order in yet? :D

·
Enormous Member
1,460 Posts
Start2Fab said:
When is a bike finished? Mine change continuously as I find new flaws, which is why I have other bikes: so that I can afford down time for projects :rockon

I find it strange you would agree with me on the state of modern composites, but you insist drsus will never have a successful carbon kickstand. :wacky

Have you got your order in yet? :D
It was not drsus that was building the Carbon stands Moron

A carbon tube with a steel foot stuffed in it is not a "Carbon Stand"

If BST decides to build a carbon unit,..well I will be on the customer list.

But Philip you probably are under the same delusional cloud that if you can build something that "Looks" like it is light it must be light:wacky

Remember you where the idiot that posted about your sub 400 pound RC and got caught. Mark is not a liar and you should not try to align yourself with him. He is honest and has just tried to build something a bit different. He has not failed yet. He also has not succeeded, not yet anyway.

You are the fraud that claimed to build this magical 390lb streetfighter, then you where the one with the cbr swingarm that was gonna be "on your bike in a couple weeks"

Mark has at least completed his first attempts. He has also run into the same exact issues I mentioned to him. He will probably not be able to overcome them as they are expensive and time consuming corrections. Needles to say he has at least done something.

What exactly have you done?

·
Premium Member
14,924 Posts
just to set the record straight.

I have not run into any problems stopping me from amking my stands work and function. As far as the steel goes i saw no reason to make the OEM attachment part better as it was working perfect (why reinvent the wheel). the steel foot was added as the OEM foot was soft IMO and i wanted a foot to hold the bike up. My stands were NEVER said to be ALL ti or ALL carbon i have always said they were using the OEM attachment part. I feel as though i made a good product better really, kind of kewl. I will say i have not made a fancy all ti or flashy $200 billet stand, why would anybody?

I just made a affordable, better stand that works. I my have made this stand with little knoledge and experience but i will be damned if it does not work , wow.

Robert, was kind enough to point out how expensive it would be tyo make a fancy all carbon stand and make it look fancy and charge a fair ollar and i thought, WHY???? would i.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.