Speedzilla Forums banner

broken cluthc hub tooth question

3K views 20 replies 0 participants last post by  Guest 
G
#1 ·

so I broke off the end of one of the teeth on my clutch hub today. Do I need to get a new hub?
I will try and figure out how to post a picture. Can one of you kind folk post the link that tells me how to do it?
thanks,
-Caleb

See less See more
G
#2 ·
Re: broken cluthc hub tooth question (kwak)

Here's the damage....

It doesn't look too bad to me. I'd use it. I've given away all my hubs so I can't help you out on this one
. I'd bet someone has one floating around.

G
#4 ·

I have a question... How did you do that.
I think it's good to go, Ride the hell out of it. But meanwhile get a new one on order.

I wish I could help you out but I sold mine on E-bay a few weeks ago.

G
#6 ·
Re: broken cluthc hub tooth question (section8superbike)

Thank you for the input, and thanks Mental for posting this picture, I guess I will just try it and see what happens.
Jason, thanks for the pricing. I have a feeling that I will be in touch after my company pays out our bonus in a few weeks.

how did I do this? I was using one of those clutch holding tools that look like vice grips with long fingers in the jaws. It somehow gave way while I was getting the nut loose. I think I might just use some old steel plates and weld up a different holding tool.
-Caleb

G
#7 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kwak »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how did I do this? I was using one of those clutch holding tools that look like vice grips with long fingers in the jaws. It somehow gave way while I was getting the nut loose. I think I might just use some old steel plates and weld up a different holding tool.
-Caleb</TD></TR></TABLE>

When I crashed last Sept. it was a low side on the clutch side. Three of the clutch posts sheared off (word to the wise, don't use a CF clutch cover) and the torque spec on the hub nut is 140 lb.ft. I didn't want to take any chances with the new hub and have it come out like yours so I wrote a cad file and had a computer controlled plasma cutter make this. It is the first and so it is not finished in black oxide yet, but it does hold perfectly on or off to 140 lb. ft. of torque. It will hold both the hub and the basket. I am considering selling them to those interested. The factory Ducati tool is $175 and I can sell these for around $70.

G
#10 ·
Re: broken cluthc hub tooth question (Kevin996)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kevin996 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Some flat stock and old clutch plates do the trick.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes it can, but the fit to the inner hub from the steel plates is WAY loose compared to the tool I designed, the tool is a pretty snug fit. Look at the tip of the teeth on a steel plate, they are actually rounded off.

G
#12 ·
Re: broken cluthc hub tooth question (Kevin996)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kevin996 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Some flat stock and old clutch plates do the trick.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

My MAN! Hooowhaaaa!

Gotta love a survivor. Kevin, hey bro.....I'll need you on the island with me.

Phil, not to take anything away from your gracious offer, because that is nice work, no doubt about it. Industrial CAD Mils and Plasma cutters are some cool hi-tech machinery.

G
#17 ·
Re: broken cluthc hub tooth question (tricklidz1)

I can't tell if that thing is a Ducati or a John Deere
BTW I IMed those who said they wanted a clutch hub tool and I should have them in a about a week. Thanks all. Phil

G
#19 ·
Re: broken cluthc hub tooth question (kwak) UPDATE

just an update, it all went back together fine and after a nice long ride today it seems fine. I pulled it all apart to check on it and no visible problems.
Thanks all!

G
#20 ·
Re: UPDATE on tool

Well I have been busy this last week and for those waiting for their clutch hub/basket holding tool, they are done. I thought I would post pics of the new and improved version. The one I showed earlier worked, but I wasn't happy with the fit and finish. The new one is WAY improved and was redesigned and changed in manufacture.All the hardware is grade 8. I am not charging any more though since a deal is a deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.