Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of modifying my front brake set up to use a 40mm Brembo Caliper I got from a Ducati Monster. I've just about cleared the spokes of the front wheel. I'm talking MMs.

I've done quite a bit of research on this modification and am using a Brembo 40mm brake relocater on my 04 crf450r.

I've currently shaved quite a bit of material of the inside (the space between the spokes and the rotor) of the rotor. I'm wondering if I need to dish (offset) the front wheel over a couple of MMs to add some clearance. I honestly don't know how far I can go before I hit the pistons if I keep grinding.

I've already dished the rear wheel over to clear the chain, so dishing the front is no problem and may even be beneficial in centering the wheels together. I just don't want to destroy the balance of the bike.

Any info any can give me would be appreciated.

·
-_-
2,284 Posts
Hey noodleman,

a few mm should be ok. I think I mentioned in one of your older threads that you should not get a road bike caliper, because it´s a pita to fit. It´s just too thick. I tried it with an R6 caliper.

If I were you I´d look for a Husqvarna Brembo 30/34 caliper. They´re narrow, it´s a Brembo, same design as the 916 and 748 calipers and it will fit better.

You can get one from Motomaster as wel, haven´t tried those.

The problem with grinding the Monster caliper is that the walls will get thin. If you grind it too far, who knows if it will leak?
Second problem is if you don´t grind the caliper you have to move the wheel to the other side. That way you´ll lose the wheel alignment. I have done it to the rear wheel of my Husqvarna. While it was only 5mm out of center towards the left side, you would notice that it turns different left and right.

I´d be cautious with realigning both wheels. Better spend 150$ on a proper caliper. You´ll get the money back when you want to sell it.

·
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats the cast version of the billet 30/34 your referring to.

It has 30/34 pistons, and is narrower than the Nissins on my RC51. Way narrower.

You still have to remove some of the material off the back to make it clear the spokes. I've heard of people offsetting their front, so I'm trying to avoid that if possible.

I love that billet caliper you posted. If I had the money I would buy one. Do you still have the Husky?

I just snagged a Magura front rotor and have a Magura radial master to compliment it. Eventually I'd like to find a Magura radial caliper. I'm just trying to stay within my Budget at the moment.

Thank You for the help btw. Building a supermoto is definetly a challenge, but I love it for that really. Seems getting info on builds is tricky.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts