Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember while taking my MSF class (I'd been riding for approx. 15 yrs at the time) the instructor was concerned about me not using all 4 fingers to brake. I rode dirt bikes for years so I tend to only use 2-3 most of the time. He told me to use all 4 all of the time in case you need to brake hard, you'd have the ability to do it.

So what do people do? Is finger consistency good?!? All fingers all the time?? The same couple fingers all the time?! Different fingers for different braking applications???????

I'd like to know what others do or if anyone even thinks about such things.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Braking question... how many fingers? (sm0kimOn)

I use 2 fingers.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

3 on the track and 2 on the street. i don't brake as hard on the street. 3 fingers is enough to lock the front if i wanted to with the radial master and 4 pads.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

FWIW I haven't used anything but two fingers for braking as far back as I can remember. I also don't use any rear brake at all.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Braking question... how many fingers? (tattooskickass)

I would imagine they'd be instructed to say all fingers for CYA purposes. I would say four if you had a bike where the brakes were sub-par...but then you may want to start adding feet too.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Braking question... how many fingers? (Kennedy)

Uhhh. I guess I am the oddball. I use one finger for braking. If it is hard braking then 2 or 3, but I can lock the front with one finger. I think I may use the rear brake maybe once a year and that is just to make sure it still works.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Braking question... how many fingers? (CaliDuc)

1 finger since I can lock the front (like CaliDuc). Plus, the other fingers give me better throttle control, especially when doing the blip,brake,downshift routine.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Braking question... how many fingers? (edwyun)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by edwyun »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1 finger since I can lock the front (like CaliDuc). Plus, the other fingers give me better throttle control, especially when doing the blip,brake,downshift routine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

+1

Cheers -

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

My calipers, pads, and rotors work so good, I use 1 finger for light to moderate braking. 2 for hard braking.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Braking question... how many fingers? (kerlyb)

Same as kerlyb.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CaliDuc »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Uhhh. I guess I am the oddball. I use one finger for braking. If it is hard braking then 2 or 3, but I can lock the front with one finger. </TD></TR></TABLE>

There was an article about this very subject in a recent Cycle World (or was it Motorcyclist?) and the conclusion, on modern bikes with powerful brakes, was to switch between 1 finger and 2 as conditions demand.

I try to keep one finger on the lever at all times, and add a second finger as I approach an intersection or some other danger.

I wouldn't use just one finger unless I knew I could apply a significant amount of braking force with just that one finger. Ferodo Platinum pads on iron rotors has allowed me to use one finger more often but I still like 2 fingers for maximum braking.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Braking question... how many fingers? (DanST4)

i prefer two over as it provides "more sensory' feedback to what is going on with the front end......more than two and my fingers and sensory feedback get confused

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

2 fingers for me.

If things get really hairy, I reach over with my left and brake with both hands.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Braking question... how many fingers? (JamesP)

I feel like it is based on your brake set-up. I always spend money on brakes and upgrade from stock. At the Section8 track day Kerlyb and I talked about how strong iron rotors are. He went out for one session on his museum quality 888 with stock brakes and when he came in he said braking was like trying to stop a dump truck.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kerlyb »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My calipers, pads, and rotors work so good...</TD></TR></TABLE>

That sounds like the lead line to a joke.....so, "How good are they?"
They are soooooo good, I just have to look at them to do a stoppie.

I use two fingers.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

One finger on the brakes and three fingers plus a thumb to hold on to the damn handle bars under acceleration.

I've found grabbing with two fingers in a Ah! shit mode will lock the front at times.
Of course I can crack walnuts with the single finger in question.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Braking question... how many fingers? (Mental998)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mental998 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I use two fingers.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

AND the guard rail. Ba Da Bump.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

My girl likes one finger usually.... 2 every so often - in an emergency/when things get wild.....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CaliDuc »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">AND the guard rail. Ba Da Bump. </TD></TR></TABLE>

LMAO

'tis ture.... they do stop you very fast.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts