Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the front and rear pads and replaced all the lines with Galfer SS lines. After bleeding thoroughly, the lever is still soft and almost comes all the way back to the grip. I thought between the SS lines and the new pads the lever would have very little travel. Any thoughts? :confused:

·
Craft Int Instructor
700 Posts
Did you bleed the Master Cylinder?? Other idea would be ziptie the brake lever to the bar as tight as possible, check it again in 6/7 hours.

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
+1 on bleeding the master

the crappy thing about the stock masters is that they don't have a bleeder port on them. Yet another reason to switch to a brembo or go cheap like I did and blow a whopping $30 on a zx10/zx14 radial master.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
If you are on an SP2 remember you have a crappy 17X21 master cylinder fitted which always feel mushier than it should. Add that Nissin master cylinders aren't exactly good at switching air and you have a recipe for a lengthy bleeding procedure.
Try employing all the tricks in books: zip tie the lever to bar overnight like Two suggested, get a large syringe with a bit of tubing to bleed the system, try gently tapping both the calipers and the master with a rubber mallet before bleeding to move air.
And also: which brake fluid are you using? :confused:

·
half-fast member
340 Posts
+1 on bleeding the master, buy a banjo bolt w/ bleeder screw for the master cylinder end of your SS lines.

·
Craft Int Instructor
700 Posts
Now I can't get mine to bleed out! :banghead :wtf

·
Registered
226 Posts
Cheapest way to bleed front brakes is with a large disposable syringe & some plastic tubing to suck with - it's quite effective.
Or invest in a Mityvac kit - which sucks brake fluid through. Will pay for itself over the years - making bleeding of all brakes very simple.

Once you have the master cylinder bled, the rest is easy. Don't forget to tap gently with a rubber mallet, to loosen small bubbles in calipers.

If you don't have a syringe, use the tip of your finger to seal the brake nipple when allowing the lever to return - until fluid begins to flow from the nipple. When it does, bleed as normal. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts