Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just had a disaster bleeding my brakes. Basically the non-return bleed tube I was using was a bad fit on the nipple. So as I pumped the brake lever it popped off and sprayed brake fluid everwhere. I threw some hot water over the caliper and continued bleeding the system until no air bubbles came out.

Now when I take the bike for a test ride, the brakes have limited braking capability. The lever is pumped and feels normal, however the bike just doesnt stop. When I get to a standstill there is noise like a GONK as if the pads are slipping.

I'm guessing i've "contaminated" my pads and disks with fluid. What can I do to clean this up? The Honda manual says I should get new pads and clean the discs with a brake degreaser.

Any ideas? The pads are nearly new so i'm loath to throw them in the bin. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Rob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Brakes Disaster! Please help. (robmbridge)

Spray them down with Brake cleaner & then some simple green & a scrub brush, rinse thoroughly

take ya 5 minutes tops

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Brakes Disaster! Please help. (LDH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LDH »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Spray them down with Brake cleaner & then some simple green & a scrub brush, rinse thoroughly

take ya 5 minutes tops</TD></TR></TABLE>

denatured alcohol will work nicely as well. if you use brake clean, use the non-chlorinated stuff and try to stay away from painted parts and don't do it in the sun. good idea with the Simple green.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Brakes Disaster! Please help. (Rigor)

Thanks guys. I'll give that a go once the shops open in the morning. Everything is shut over here now!

Rob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Brakes Disaster! Please help. (robmbridge)

Hi again, I found a can of degreaser in the cupboard! Sprayed and scrubbed the pads and disks. Then took the bike for a long run, it was a while before full braking came back but its fixed now.

Thanks again for the advice.

Cheers,
Rob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Naval Jelly (the pink shite) works really well for de-contaminating brake pads. Wear gloves; the active ingredient is an acid. after you scrub the pad surfaces with the jelly, rinse in REALLY hot water. Finish by scrubbing with the simple green, again, rinsing in really HOT water.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (oljackboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oljackboy »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Naval Jelly (the pink shite) Wear gloves; the active ingredient is an acid.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So are you saying that it's not a good idea to use this as anal lube?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (LDH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LDH »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So are you saying that it's not a good idea to use this as anal lube? </TD></TR></TABLE>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts