Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long should you keep synthetic brake fluid after opening?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Brake Fluid Shelf Life? (brettmess24)

As long as it was sealed up good.... till hell freezes over.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I've used the same bottle for two years or so. As long as you keep it tight and it does not change colors it'll be good.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Brake Fluid Shelf Life? (TnDuc)

good to hear
I didnt know if it would thin and create a lower boiling point. seeing its already in the hundeys here

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I pitch them after using once. They are pretty cheap & absorb moisture like crazy.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like Norm says....

Depends on whether it's very hygroscopic or not, and how well sealed it is - I prefer to use small bottles, and dump any opened ones rather than keep them. It's amazing how they can absorb water from what is seemingly a well-sealed bottle (the reason they always have that foil seal on top when new!)

It's also why I NEVER recommend the often touted "trick" of tying the brake lever open with reservoir cap off and leaving the system open all night to purge the bubbles in the lines - you may end up with 5% water overnight in high humidity conditions - perfect opportunity for a case of brake-lock when the water turns to steam in hard use....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Brake Fluid Shelf Life? (Norm)

I'm not a scientist or anything, but I would imagine the shelf life of an opened bottle of anything hydroscopic is reduced greatly in high humidity areas. I'm sure its worse for Norm and I here in NC with all of the humidity, even with super-tight lids. Not sure about the humidity in AZ. I also pitch the bottle within a day of opening it. When I bleed I like to get the old fluid out anyways, so I usually run a good amount through the lines.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Brake Fluid Shelf Life? (jager)

perhaps its just me... but brake fluid can easily be had on the cheap...
why not just buy new when you need it... sometimes "Better safe than
sorry" is a good motto - specially when you are putting a 4 buck item
in a 10-20k bike.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Brake Fluid Shelf Life? (ducati_atx)

Once the seal is cracked on your brake fluid it is drawing moisture into the fluid just like your brakes are. Don't be cheap - use it or get a new bottle.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The screw on the cap of a bottle is just as good I would think as the cap on your brake resorvoir right? Therefore if they recommend you change your brake fluid every 2 years (ducati says this) on your bike then I would think that stuff sitting on the shelf for a few months is fine. But I wouldn't think you want to leave it sitting there for 2 years.

Although brake fluid may be cheap, to just throw it away because it's been open once is wasteful. Unless you're a MotoGP racer I don't think you'll notice a difference in brake fluid that's been on the shelf for a month.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: (grendels_arm)

Agreed, I put a double layer of clear plastic wrap over the top and screwed the cap on tight. I figure this is as good or better than the original seal. I'm not a cheapskate but I figure why waste? And where is that extra fluid disposed of? Not down a drain or in your back yard I hope.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts