Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Denmark
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a trackday and Ive begun dragging me knee. Ive got a comfortable bodyposition, but the kneesliders only wear on the top 2/3 before I have to switch it around so I dont ruin the leathers.

Im guessing its up to the bodyposition of course, should I mind, or just go with it?

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Kneesliders are there precisely to save your leathers (and skin).
Just pack an extra set and enjoy! :rockon

·
Registered
232 Posts
Get some pictures of your body position and it'll be easier to see what you are (if at all) going wrong.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have the same issue. I tend to not hang off the bike far enough, and keep my knee too close to the bodywork. But I have raced for many years with some good results. My advice is to ride with-in your comfort level, and let the rest pan itself out.
I don`t drag my knee alot, but enough. More important to me to ride fast and comfortable than to waste time wondering if I look good or right doing it.
Just have fun with it. If you are looking to take your riding to the next level there are tons of race schools and instructors that can help you out with that.
Also, I swap my pucks from left to right leg, and flip them over every two or three weekends to extend the life of the pucks.
Hope this helps!!
A pic of my form at Miller a few years ago
http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/8264/dsc6539h.jpg

·
Denmark
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What annoying me is that I contact the ground with the top of the slider and not the middle, meaning there's a good deal in the middle thats not used up even when turning it upside down.
Ive attached a photo from yesterday.

Attachments

·
Slightly Unstable
496 Posts
based on your picture it looks like your body is a little twisted and your really reaching with your knee just to be able to touch it down. ideally you need to form a parrallel line with your spine and the center line of the bike. for example if your ass is 10" off the center line of the seat than your chest should be 10" off the center line of the tank. now you can take guys like **** doohan, or even larry peghram and they are as twisted as a mofo, and it worked/works for them, but that is not "text book" form. put your knee out, and if it touches it touches. not saying you do, but too many people are concerned about getting a knee down as compared to just riding, and getting smoother and faster. the faster you get the closer your knee will get to the ground. focus on form and being smooth and fast and when your knee touches you use it as a gauge to know how leaned over you are.

·
Denmark
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just added a better photo.

You all make good points, I might hang off a wee bit much, maybe Ive watch Toni Elias racing too much hehe. Not sure if Im reaching, but do use the knee to feel the lean-angle, like when you feel it getting pushed closer to the tank you know your getting to the edge.

The slider is right in the middle, not really room for moving it around. But guess Ill just keep going, after all, it doesnt really matter on the street anyhoot.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
As others have said , it's usually the position of the slider , and you seem to be reaching with the knee ; BUT , do you have long legs ? B/c it appears (from the bad pics) that you're so far forward the top of the knee is touching down instead of the side . Maybe try sliding back a little .

·
Registered
179 Posts
It looks like more lean angle would allow your knee to be closer to the bodywork and the face of the puck would be closer to parallel with the ground. At that lean angle, I don't think you need to slide your knee.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
All my buddies with Dainese suits complaint of this exact problem/situation. I believed it is where Dainese positioned the knee pucks.

HTH:rockon

·
Registered
55 Posts
well, this is a pretty simple problem. each suit maker will have the knee pucks in slightly different positions. if you're only wearing down the top portion it means that your knee pucks are attached inferior to the lateral epicondyle of the femur(knee) when they should be a bit higher up. i have this problem also and it's because my suit is one size too big so the knee pucks sits lower. i would just move the pucks up...or go faster and less reaching!:woot:

·
Registered
179 Posts
It's normal for the pucks to sit below the knee. They are not meant to sit on yor kneecap.

·
Denmark
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not particular long legs, Im 1.75m, so pretty normal, but as RCVTR says, might just need some lean like Colin there ... Im sure Ill get there with time:D

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
you're reaching for it... you can see that your heel is tucked in so you can push that leg farther... your quad looks almost like a kickstand, pointed straight down reaching for the ground... your leg should extend OUTWARDS like an outrigger, not down like a kickstand.

·
half-fast member
340 Posts
Agreed, you're reaching just to get the knee down, you aren't leaning over that far. Concentrate on keeping more corner speed and you'll find yourself having to pull your knee *up* because the ground is there already!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts