Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Will BMW build a 600? Could they have the same success with a 600 that they did with the S1000RR?

Is there a market for a $15K 600?

·
V4 CyclePath...
6,827 Posts
Is there a market for a $15K 600?
Yes... there is a HUGE market for a 15K race bred 600 V4... BMW should note
Speedzilla's poll... people want Vees over the status quo I4... and since no
600 V2 would ever be competitive that only leaves the V4... just make it a
90º V4 with 360º Big Bang crank and I would have to have one as a track
bike...

·
ORLY!?1?
764 Posts
this pic has been out for like 6 months now. this is just a photoshop fake guys seriously do ur research

·
Registered
936 Posts
If it does get to market:

1- It will be an In Line 4, BMW wants to win races. BMW does not want to satisfy a small niche market. BMW wants to sell a significant number of bikes and compete head to head with the best in class, not create a second class V4.

2- It will be a tough sell against the established brands at anything too much above the current market price point. It will also be harder to be significantly better than the current Japanese offerings. Triumph sets itself apart with the I3 and it looks like MV is doing the same but targeting a different market demographic.

Will be interesting to see a BMW in the class and racing.

·
V4 CyclePath...
6,827 Posts
If it does get to market:

1- It will be an In Line 4, BMW wants to win races. BMW does not want to satisfy a small niche market. BMW wants to sell a significant number of bikes and compete head to head with the best in class, not create a second class V4.

2- It will be a tough sell against the established brands at anything too much above the current market price point. It will also be harder to be significantly better than the current Japanese offerings. Triumph sets itself apart with the I3 and it looks like MV is doing the same but targeting a different market demographic.
The last 600 I4 to tackle the Japanese strong hold was the Triumph...
it failed to sway buyers and was replaced with a 675 I3... but the I3
is no hoper for the championship... its engine reciprocating mass are
too heavy and it just don't have enough top end power to win
consistently against the 4 cylinders machines...

According to latest Speedzilla poll 25% favor the V4 compared to 15% for
the I4 configuration... thats a sign that the V4 may not be a niche market
after all...

But maybe you're right... BMW would only produce a second rate V4 since
they don't have a lot of experience with that engine architecture...

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
If BMW releases a 600 it will be an I4. BMW along with HD are big on platform sharing. BMW is especially big on promoting new engines. Considering the considerable investment in the new 1000 motor and its success BMW will likely follow its long-established game plan of platform sharing and develop a 600 based I4. BMW's Dr. Deiss, iirc, made it clear when the S1000RR was first discussed in the media that BMW considered many powerplants but settled on the I4 for its overall advantages over other packages and yes BMW did consider all other potential packages. From the company known for going its own way since inception that is certainly a significant endorsement of the I4 package.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Why is a single sided hub impressive if you're not an endurance racer?
Because whoever came up with the concept had this in mind:

This bike was itself inspired by the ELF-Honda racers of the '80s.
Very few were made (2234 units according to the Italian Gilera Registry) most of which were exported.
Very highly sought after: I've seen a few go for over 6,000€.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yes... there is a HUGE market for a 15K race bred 600 V4... BMW should note
Speedzilla's poll... people want Vees over the status quo I4... and since no
600 V2 would ever be competitive that only leaves the V4... just make it a
90º V4 with 360º Big Bang crank and I would have to have one as a track
bike...

No...wait...
Make it a 750.
They could call it RC45 and have Honda make it.

No...wait...that wouldn't work either.:wacky

·
Registered
757 Posts
but the I3
is no hoper for the championship... its engine reciprocating mass are
too heavy and it just don't have enough top end power to win
consistently against the 4 cylinders machines...
Wow, really? Because the 675 triple did win a British Supersport championship running against good teams on every Japanese brand. Not bad for a "no hoper". :rolleyes:

·
Registered
936 Posts
There is an essential difference between engineers evaluating engine configurations in the cold hard light of winning on the track and in the showrooms versus fans, devotees, and mechanics (no matter how competent or with what qualifications) "liking" or preferring a particular engine type. Unless the engine configuration is a brand identifier, such as Ducati and HD, the engineer will pick the best compromise to achieve the highest priority such as packaging, handling, power, type of power, cost, some of which might be complimentary or at the cost of another quality.

If the engine configuration is part of the identity of the brand then the compromises are dictated by that fact. Just look at Ducati as an example. Of course I state the obvious but it appears that is exactly what BMW did and has been successful. I think they will do the same with their 600 if it is in fact being built. It would appear that MV is going the other way as did Triumph. Both have a history of triples and are using that aspect of their brand to market the middle weight bike. Note that MV went with an in line four with the F4 having a long history with the inline engine.

Honda, no matter what fans of the brand want, are not identifying themselves as a "V4" company. They bring to market what they think is best.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts