Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gday all,

Just a quick question, anyone used Blue Xenon H7 Headlights? If so what do you think of them, good or bad? I ride everyday and they sound like they would be great for night riding. These particular ones are just replacements for the stock bulbs, no big transformer or anything.

Cheers :cool:

Ash

·
calculating status...
1,667 Posts
Ya, I use StreetGlow, 70w, H7's.

I've had them in there probably seven or eight years with no problems or failure's. They're not really blue or anything, just a real white light and a little brighter than stock.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, sounds like I bought a good one on flebay, $1.99 + $17 shipping, there is always a catch but still good for a lifetime warranty.

The ones I bought have high/low beam, but my bike only has 1 headlight on low beam and the second one comes on at high beam. Guess I would have to do some re-wiring to make them both be on low beam? Almost got run over a few weeks ago so anything that stops the melon heads in cars from killing me has to be good.

It must be simple to convert both lights to be on Low beam and then both to be on High beam. Thats the only thing I hate repairing is auto electrics, I know I am not alone there.

Its due for its next 6 month service, I will give them the job - some things are easier paid for....... Hope it does not need a bigger alternator???

Cheers

Ash

·
Registered
170 Posts
Gday all,

Just a quick question, anyone used Blue Xenon H7 Headlights? If so what do you think of them, good or bad? I ride everyday and they sound like they would be great for night riding. These particular ones are just replacements for the stock bulbs, no big transformer or anything.

Cheers :cool:

Ash
I tried several different Xenon bulbs because so many said they were alot better than the regular bulbs. At least half of my riding is done at night on the way home from work so I thought why not try. Out of the pairs I tried ( 2 or 3, don't remember), I didn't like them. I must say, even though it did seem to light up reflective material a tad better, overall I don't think they were any better than a good halogen bulb. I was told by several that the blue hue was cool, though I never noticed it while riding, but for the money I paid, it wasn't worth it. Lesson learned.
I ended up going to a HID, and installed an on/off switch for the headlight, which was so much better than the Xenon bulbs. It's not really legal here but I have gotten away with it for several years now. Guess it depends on where you live and how tight they are on inspections.

Chris

·
Registered
170 Posts
Cool, sounds like I bought a good one on flebay, $1.99 + $17 shipping, there is always a catch but still good for a lifetime warranty.

The ones I bought have high/low beam, but my bike only has 1 headlight on low beam and the second one comes on at high beam. Guess I would have to do some re-wiring to make them both be on low beam? Almost got run over a few weeks ago so anything that stops the melon heads in cars from killing me has to be good.

It must be simple to convert both lights to be on Low beam and then both to be on High beam. Thats the only thing I hate repairing is auto electrics, I know I am not alone there.

Its due for its next 6 month service, I will give them the job - some things are easier paid for....... Hope it does not need a bigger alternator???

Cheers

Ash
From my understanding, the difference between the high and low is the lens itself, not wiring.

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
The wiring for the low beam and high beam would have to be extended so they can reach the other side. You would also have to convert the bulb holder to fit an H4 or other dual filament bulb. Then you have the issue that the two reflectors are different. (they both use an H7, but direct the light to different places). You might be able to use the low beam, but it wasn't designed to shine light above the cutoff, so it would be mediocre at best. The best solution by far if you want to run two lights would be to actually have two of each (high and low) and cut the reflectors in two and combine them. The issue with that is getting everything aligned correctly.

From what I have heard is that Honda did a study that showed car drivers see the two headlights of a motorcycle close together and they perceive it to be a car at a greater distance. That is the reasoning behind having separate lights for low/high. I just run with the high beam on during the day, seems to keep me out of trouble.

I don't think that running them both as low beams would actually help your situation much. If they didn't see you with one light on, I don't think they would see you with two. You can get an HID kit, or osram also makes an H9 on an H7 base, which is much brighter.

What you are asking about is mostly junk that they sell on ebay, they are just regular bulbs with a blue tint to them. They "look" brighter to you, but actually put out less light than any regular quality bulb.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Fuck blue painted bulbs. Either stick with normal halogens or get true HIDs. I've used a set of Ebay HIDs for four years without any problems. With real HIDs, you won't give a second thought to some micky mouse dual beam half- assed bullshit setup because of how much light you'll have. Honda spent millions developing those lights... you're an idiot if you think you can do better with some hackjob in your car port.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I run Silverstars in both my lights! I run highbeam all the time! Night and Day! I also adjusted my high beam down to just above the low beam light! Works great and no one flashes their brights at me! Considerably brighter! IMO

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hid

I bought a single HID for my low-beam last fall and absolutely love it! I'm looking into a high-beam possibly.I bought the kit from a company that offers a lifetime warranty on both the bulb and ballast and it only cost me $37 and some change.Got it in 3 days and about 30 min to get it going.Very easy plug and play kit.Only problem for me was finding a place to hide the ballast but overall,try it out at least and YOU decide!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts