Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
unificator
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my headlight blinks when i first start the bike. usually it blinks 3-4 times but has done as few as 1, and as many as 5. there is no blinking on the dash, just the headlight. and it does not do it every time..... no dysfunction with the bike other than occaisional voltage regulator. otherwise everything works as it should.

any ideas why it does this???

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
So this is ONLY happening while idleing, 900-1000 RPM's?.. Next time starting maybe try alittle more RPM and see what happens...?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Have you checked the head light connector/plugs or the bulbs? If loose, maybe while bike is vibrating heavily causing poor contact.

·
unificator
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
only happens right on initial start up. rpms are set per spec and it does it probably 6/10 times i start it.

did check the connections at headlight. have aftermarket lights but started approx 2 years after switching to them. they otherwise are flawless.

·
Munky
532 Posts
If it were the typical Honda voltage rectifier/regulator going bad the headlights would blink during idle, not just on start up. Maybe the previous voltage regulator messed up the stator?

With my previous experience with VFR's when I replace the voltage regulator I would replace the stator too just to be safe. A bad regulator can fry a stator, and a bad stator can tax a regulator.

·
unificator
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it were the typical Honda voltage rectifier/regulator going bad the headlights would blink during idle, not just on start up. Maybe the previous voltage regulator messed up the stator?

With my previous experience with VFR's when I replace the voltage regulator I would replace the stator too just to be safe. A bad regulator can fry a stator, and a bad stator can tax a regulator.
ok munky, guess there is some way to check the stator so i will look into that. thanks

Which aftermarket headlights are you running?
i am using ddm dual hids

·
unificator
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My HID's Blink on warm-up for the first little bit. is that what you are seeing?

ummmmmmmm, yes. my headlights blink when i first start the bike. wait, didnt i say that already.

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
So why not start by eliminating the biggest variable? Take the hid kit out and install the proper h7 bulbs and see what happens? Seems like the easiest thing to try.

I think ddm's have a lifetime warranty don't they?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I also have the DDM kit . Mine also blinks a few times. I took one side of and sent it into DDM. Its your balest going bad.

·
unificator
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also have the DDM kit . Mine also blinks a few times. I took one side of and sent it into DDM. Its your balest going bad.

thats what im looking for rj, thanks

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
Could you guys with these HID headlights post acouple pictures of your set-up(s)?

I'm interested in seeing how they (the headlights) look installed.... I'm also wondering,
Who here has installed more then one kit? "Blast"? Low beam and High beam?
How many of you, who installed said headlights.... Also switched out your OEM Reflector?
How many just installed the kit set-up and left it with OEM reflector?

ONE more question please:> Is the HID set-up the same as the "Projector beam headlights"

Any help to these questions is much Appreciated;)

Peace Jeff

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just went with the DDM kit it was $69 and its all plug and play. Very easy to install and the ballest is about 1/2 thick so its pretty easy to tuck away. Right now I only have it on the low beam Im waiting on the other ballest to come back from DDM.

·
unificator
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i used oem reflector. pics of oem and ddm. the ddm kit installs nice and neat. also pics of the kit, hid low vs oem high, and both hid.

Attachments

·
Easily Illusioned
554 Posts
Didn't mean to hijack the thread but... I'm running Hid on both headlights also and they are super bright. I'm thinking of a slight change up by ordering a LED DRL (Daytime running light) for the one side that runs all the time and use the other light the HID for night time use. The bulb is cheap and has low power consumption. I'm looking at the superbrightled.com site. They have a 9 LED H7 running light for $12.00. Part No. H7-WHP9

Here's the Page: H7-WHP Daytime Running Lamps Specifications

Anyone try this yet?

·
I am my Evil Twin
129 Posts
Check the voltage at start up, while cranking, hid ballasts dont like the sudden drop. especially if the battery is low as can happen with hot days and weak rectifier stator output.

·
unificator
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Check the voltage at start up, while cranking, hid ballasts dont like the sudden drop. especially if the battery is low as can happen with hot days and weak rectifier stator output.

will do. i do have a dying rectifier right now and new one should be here any day. that should tell me right there when i change it out.

i do think the ballist could be the issue though. when i start the bike with the hi and low beams on, only the low beam blinks. if it were power output both would do it. i guess. im no sparky.

thinking about installing a switch for the lights. are the lights wired into system in such a way that the bike wont start if they are dead? how about if they are just switched? seems like that has been discussed before. time for the search function.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts