Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '04 800SS was running GREAT. Never a problem. It's a daily driver also and was running great and just normal yesterday. Got on it this morning and immediately new something was wrong. Made it about two miles and could not go any farther. It will crank up but will not stay running on it's own. Stalled out every time you close the throttle. Limped her home and first thing I pulled the plugs. Both plugs were completely soot black as they could be. CRAP. This sucks. Anyways, should be under warranty so my options are Good Times in Sacramento or Munroe Motors in the bay. Called to both places and received nothing but the absolute best assistance from Nick at Munroe. He talked me through a bunch of things over the phone to see if we could find anything simple. His biggest concern was if I was stranded or not. Told me exactly what to do and where to bring it and they'd get right on it. Called Good Times and the guys was pretty much yea, bring it in and we'll take a look. Expect about three to four days for any results. That was about the end of the conversation. About what I expected from Good Times but wanted to see if you guys had any inputs either way?? This is at Munroe in East Bay, not downtown but they are the same operation I believe? I think I've made up my mind already (if you can tell) but I would still love your inputs. Oh yea, didn't go to Nichols because they don't do warranty work yet.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I personally would give the company that tried to help me out over the phone my business. It shows they care that much more about your baby and it should come through in their work. To me it is a first sign of honesty and that counts alot these days. ;)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Munroe all the way .. i've had nothing but good from them ... as far as the east bay shop ... they trailer the bikes over to the city for the major stuff , that's where most of the equipment is ,, for now is what i'm told

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, went to Munroe. Actually managed to get down there today before they closed. Nick was better in person than on the phone. He actually made a pretty good joke too. He asked "don't you guys in Sac have a dealer?? Bad-Times?" I laughed so hard almost droped the bike. Anyways, they immediately rolled it in the shop, invited me in to the shop, pulled a guy off another bike and hooked up the computer with me right there. Within 10 minutes of being there, we found it was a bad TPS that just decided to take a dump. Was told there should be no reason it wont be ready tomorrow. THAT my friends is service. Guess I still could have went with Good Times and there "three to five days" to take a look at it for troubleshooting. I will make the trip to Munroe for all my business from here on out. I'm sold.

On a side note...I wonder if Good Times even knows there reputation with Ducati's or if they do, do they even care? I was in Seattle on vacation last week and stopped by Seattle Ducati (and Westside Motorsports) and met in person our very own DaveR. Let's just say Good Times has a reputation all the way up there and leave it at that. I have never dealt with their service department but I have personally never had anything but bad luck with their parts guys that's for sure. They do not know their Ducati stuff in there.

·
Registered
216 Posts
galaxy -

glad it all worked out well for you ... nick and matt are good folks indeed.

johnc

galaxy said:
Yep, went to Munroe. Actually managed to get down there today before they closed. Nick was better in person than on the phone. He actually made a pretty good joke too. He asked "don't you guys in Sac have a dealer?? Bad-Times?" I laughed so hard almost droped the bike. Anyways, they immediately rolled it in the shop, invited me in to the shop, pulled a guy off another bike and hooked up the computer with me right there. Within 10 minutes of being there, we found it was a bad TPS that just decided to take a dump. Was told there should be no reason it wont be ready tomorrow. THAT my friends is service.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BUMMER DUDE!!! Been talking to Nick today. They got the TPS replaced and got it running but during the test drives he said it's not running good. Got some hesitation and funny stuff going on and he's not happy with it. Too bad cause they jumped right on it in one day and could have had it back today. Oh well, stuff happens. At least they want it perfect. Curious to find out just what the problem ends up being???

900CR, I like posting here but then I remembered club desmo has alot of Nor Cal and bay area members so I thought I would get a lot more input from more people who may not necessairly be a member or check both sites.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Thanks galaxy... makes sense. There are a few crossover folks who used to use Desmo as a local site, but I think you'll be seeing that come to an end. The depth of information on Speedzilla is head and shoulders abover it.

mh900e0974 said:
what's it to you? are you the bits and bytes monitor here rob? are we wasting electrons? :D
Whoa Johnny, you playing 'big boy' on a real site? Spanky, run back to the other three sites you maintain with no traffic... you're better suited for it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
900CR said:
Whoa Johnny, you playing 'big boy' on a real site? Spanky, run back to the other three sites you maintain with no traffic... you're better suited for it.
nope rob ... even with you here, this is a good site.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Chico area Ducati shop

If you are located in the Chico area try Chico Yamaha/Ducati. The Techs are pretty good I think. Very Ducati orientated. Bought my first 999 there.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, you're right about Chico. I bought my SS new there BUT!!!! As of about a week ago, they are officially no longer a Ducati dealer. Eric, the head guy in the shop is top notch and knows what he's doing, but they can not perform any more warranty work. He still has alot of his Ducati specific tools and equipment if you are a paying customer but it didn't help me out this time. That sucks too. Ken up there is awesome as well and I really wanted Eric to work on my bike but I think I'm still in great hands with Nick down at Munroe.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Why are they no longer an "official" Ducati dealer? I've been obtaining Ducati tools for myself to service friends' bikes. I know many people where I'm at (Grass Valley, CA) with Ducatis that are tired of waiting weeks and trucking their bikes to the Bay Area for pricey service. I'm curious to know what sort of computer your bike was plugged into to diagnose your problem.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I spoke to Ken personally and all he told me was it was a business decision he had to make. Guess they were loosing money on the Duc side of the house. As for computer, it was a regular laptop but obviously had some particular software or program on it. Pluged into the diagnostic port under the seat on my bike and wala'!!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just an update if any body cares or has any ideas...Talked to Nick on Friday and they got the TPS changed and new plugs installed. Bike cranked and ran but during the test drive I guess it just wasn't quite right. Had some hesitation and just didn't pull good. Nick called and told me everything that was going on and that he wasn't happy with it and wanted to keep it until it was perfect. I told him to do what ever he needs to do. They are going to try and change out the TPS again because they feel that should have fixed the problem. Oh well, we'll see.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Keep us posted. Prolly killed by the K&N filter. Good for sand, otherwise they are junk. Hold one up to the light and see the holes. :twocents

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ummmmmm, I don't think so. Three things here. 1. that filter's been in there for 5,200 miles until this point with zero problems. 2. why would it run bad after installing another TPS if it was the filters fault. 3. (and this is the biggie) if you are implying it's the filters fault because of some miniscule particle of oil off the filter, that's not plausable because the TPS has no components in the air flow. It's mounted in a mechanical relationship just so that it can determine the position of the throttle, hense, throttle position sensor. It has no portion of it inside the T/B to detect air flow or to get contaminated by oil off the filter.

K&N's usually get a bad wrap for messing up mass air flow sensors, yes. But I think those are few and far between and usually the owners fault from excessive oil after cleaning the filter. I for one have never had a bad experience with K&N filters and been using them on all my vehicles for the past umpteen years.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I am kidding about the K&N killing it. They ARE garbage as far as air filters go. Hold one up to a light and you will see holes in the fabric everywhere, new, used, oiled, doesn't matter.:twocents

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeeaaaa...the bike's fixed. Didn't talk to Nick today but a guy from the shop called and talked to my wife. She's gonna go get it tomorrow (since it's hers anyways) and talk to Nick and get some more details. I let you guys know what it was but got a feeling it was the second TPS since that's what they planned on doing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts