Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Big Bang in BSB.....WSBK no. (Harvey T.)

Would they allow it if Yamaha had that configuration in their production R1?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Big Bang in BSB.....WSBK no. (Honda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Would they allow it if Yamaha had that configuration in their production R1?</TD></TR></TABLE>
They would have to.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Big Bang in BSB.....WSBK no. (SP8)

The big bang I4 has been dabbled with before, most ppl who converted a std I4 engine to this config have run into camchain and crank probs. That is, the camchain cant take the strain of opening 4 valves at a time (instead of just 2) without another set closing at the same time 'helping' the cam turn. And the big end crank bearings cant take the strain of 2 cyls firing at the same time, they just arent made for it. Yes the motor WILL run like that, it just wont last long, which is ok for a big budget national superbike team who throws a new motor at the bike every race weekend anyway.

If we do see production Big bang I4s, expect to see much beefier cranks and camchains. Altho a desmodromic valvetrain would totally eliminate any cam drive probs youd have

Modified by Dezmo at 5:03 PM 4/6/2005

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Big Bang in BSB.....WSBK no. (Dezmo)

I totally see this as a new marketing tool to sell new bikes. People always flock to new tech. I for for one would love such a engine, but only if it doesn't sacrifice rpm like a V-Twin.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Big Bang in BSB.....WSBK no. (Dezmo)

Technically the camchain is opening more than 2 valves at a time already. If you have one cylinder opening intakes at least one other cylinder will be opening or have the exhausts open. No?

I think it comes down to a homogulation issue, its not availible to the public therefore it shouldnt be used in a so-called production based Superbike class.

Modified by Ducman851 at 7:27 AM 4/7/2005

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Oh to answer your question 851, it’s within the rules, rightly or wrongly. I think that’s why WSBK are going to ban it…………if it was outside the rules then they wouldn’t need to ban it, if you know what I mean.

I’m not all that bothered one way or the other, but the fact that something different is on the go gets my vote and the sound of this thing is amazing. It’s like a cross between a RC45 and a big twin.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Yep saw that Harvey, but I still gotta go with homogulation thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.