Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have suffered one critical problem in stock slippery clutch in my 748R that for sure it should be common to the rest of ducs with it.

The malfunction comes when the first of clutch couple bare disks (i mean the one it is engaged to the drum, close to the engine) get wrapped under the drum as it works. As you know, the stock slippery clutch uses the axis desplacement of the drum to release clutch preasure during severe motor braking by pushing out the preassure plate. In case the desplacement is greater than the 2mm of the first clutch disk, this first disk moves under the drum, get wrapped itself and cause clutch desengagement. The feel is like you have broken the chain or something similar. Not so fine at the end of a 220km/h straight

Have you heard this before?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: beware the stock slippery clutch! (alowishus)

Sounds like the clutch pack was installed wrong.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

i actually just had this very thing happen to me at vir last month. downshifted into turn 1 in the first session and lost all drive. the first drive plate had wedged itself between the hub and drum and disengaged the clutch. my plates in order from the engine side out was: drive, friction, d, f, d, f, d, f, d, f, d. don't remember the exact number of plates. i swapped the first drive and friction plate and it's worked since, so now it's f, d, d, f, d, f, d, etc. i've always read that the first plate was supposed to be a drive plate and that's why i had it there. these are the stock oem drive plates with sintered friction plates in a barnett basket. i'm not sure how having a friction plate against the hub will affect service life but i didn't have an issue with the drivetrain for the rest of the 2 days i was on the track... so you're not alone alowishus. anyone else have a similar experience or different fix for this?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: beware the stock slippery clutch! (slowpoke)

I've never seen it & never heard of it before now. I'd dig a little deeper before accepting that this is a design flaw.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
first plate in a 748r slipper has to be a friction, because the steels fall down behind the drum. but i guess you know that. the 748r specific pack has one steel plate less (2?) than the std pack to allow for the different packing

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

The clutch is packed wrong

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: beware the stock slippery clutch! (section8superbike)

Im afraid not. It was mounted according the ducati instructive, and the ducati part list says the same. The first disk must be a drive one.

I saw a 749R clutch overhaul (1.500km!) at my dealer and the most strange thing it is that the 749R comes from factory with the first disk mounted as friction (like slowpoke and myself right now), in spite of the official mounting instructive says the opposite.

My conclusion is that when the spider (is it called spider spring in USA?) is worn out cannot act as a solid end for the drum travel and this shit happen.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: (brad black)

no, i didnt knew that. For sure you are right, so now it is mounted with a friction as the first one, but im not completely sure the evolution of the friction in the engine side.

I will take 2.000 km and i will check it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: beware the stock slippery clutch! (uffe_e)

Yeah!
That first drive disk (of two) at the right is the guilty one!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: beware the stock slippery clutch! (uffe_e)

The 999R shows a friction plate first in its slipper.

alowishus, regardless of what the pic shows.... friction first. Plus, though it doesn't list it as such, the first disc is sometimes a funky half friction disc kinda' thing.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: beware the stock slippery clutch! (Mental998)

This is straight out of the official 748R workshop manual.

3mm friction
1.5mm dished steel
3mm friction
2mm steel
3mm friction
2mm steel
3mm friction
2mm steel
3mm friction
2mm steel
3mm friction
2mm steel
3mm friction
2mm steel
2mm steel

If you've got a steel as the first plate you've got it wrong.

Cheers, Neil.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: beware the stock slippery clutch! (748rheid)

i don't remember what order the stack was, but i know for a fact that my stock stack did not have a dished plate. now is the dish facing the engine or away? does it even matter?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: beware the stock slippery clutch! (slowpoke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowpoke »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">... but i know for a fact that my stock stack did not have a dished plate.</TD></TR></TABLE>

As elusive as a unicorn.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts