Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Track day report, Autobahn full course 6/27

Thoughts and observations:

-GREAT track. Anyone in the midwest should make an effort to get there (although it is somewhat rare that you get to run the full course. I think it's mostly divided up between the North and South to keep the members with a track available). Still though, even if you are only on one or the other, it's still fun. Put 'em together for the full layout, and it's just awsome. Only one chicane to annoy you, and minor elevation changes. Lot's of fast corners and a couple short straights.

- I am not the slowest rider in the I group. This was a relief as I was a little apprehensive. Passed dudes in a very controlled fashion in every session, and was passed only a few times. NOTE IMPORTANT POINT: I started way at the back and it was a 3+ mile layout. The fast guys just didn't have enough time to get to me in a 20 min session. Fine by me. Coming from the shallow end of the pool, getting passed at a high differential can sometimes be a bit unnerving.

- I feel strongly that I made the right decision to jump to the I group with STT. Being able to go at a little faster pace than the novice group really helped me to work on some things that I had a hard time doing while going slower. I hope I don't change my mind on a shorter track where the fast ones may just work their way up to me during the session. That could suck, but we'll see. I'm staying here for now.

- Horsepower matters. Alot. I was behind a Honda 600, and I would close substantially on braking, have higher corner speed and exit strong enough to show him a wheel. Then he would just walk away. It would certainly be different with a more accomplished rider, I'm sure.

- Doug Polen was ridin in our group for a couple session. He showed me a wheel a few times, but I glared menacingly at him, so he backed off.

Just kidding, of course, but Doug Polen actually was there and riding with different groups throughout the day. Cool dude ...... I did actually go by him once when he waved me by. He was riding with and helping some dudes out in the I group.

- My front tire has never been worn this close to the edge. I'm not totally sure that that's good, but it has to mean something.

- Body position still sucks, so I told myself I would take the last session and just concentrate on that. I see enough pictures of you fast guys with good body position, and very often your elbow is pointed at the ground. So I used this as a gauge to try to get my body in the right position. It helped some, I think, but it's hard to say. To date, every time I think I'm getting better with my position on the bike, photo's show that I'm still lame.

They offered for $40 this camera bike that would follow you around for a session. Maybe that would be a good idea, but I think it would throw my focus off if I knew there was a camera behind me. Maybe later .....

- I did experience something fairly new for me: How the bike feels with a more loaded suspension. In one right hander in particular that I have more confidence in, I was entering it faster all day. The sensations of how the bike felt as it was probably more loaded than I ever had it, were very new to me. There was some movement there that, while not being uncomfortable, definately opened the eyes a bit.

- Lastly, I'm more out of shape than I thought. 95 degrees and humid left me panting and sweating like a mule. Gotta get back in the gym.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Best track day to date ...... I think (JamesP)

Great observations. Far better (IMHO) to learn incrementally than to try to push the envelope without the experience to recover if necessary.

Horsepower does matter...but so does torque. When I had my ZX-6R, it was a constant battle to keep up with 750/1000 I4s, but that experience helped me to refine my braking and cornering techniques on that bike.

Since I've been riding my Duc at the track with the BCM engine mods, I have come to really appreciate the added 10 ft/lbs torque that Bruce gave me. Exiting any corner that climbs a hill...and the bike just pulls like a tractor. And the top speed isn't bad either!

Anyway, congrats on a great track day. If only those few who try to "win" the track days they attend could learn from your comments...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Best track day to date ...... I think (JamesP)

I was supposed to go to that track day as an instructor / control rider with STT. But they needed some people to help out at Putnam Park that weekend so I went there instead.

I really want to try that track, I have heard only good things about that place.

Glad you had fun.

eddie

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Best track day to date ...... I think (Eddie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eddie »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was supposed to go to that track day as an instructor / control rider with STT. But they needed some people to help out at Putnam Park that weekend so I went there instead.

I really want to try that track, I have heard only good things about that place.

Glad you had fun.

eddie
</TD></TR></TABLE>

A great facility to be sure. I didn't mention a few bumps (really isolated in one location on the South course), but not bad enough to be an issue at all.

The odds might have been with you to have taken the Autobahn day over Putnam, as the full course at Autobahn might be awhile before it's scheduled again, and Putnam is always there. (I actually don't see it on the STT schedule at all).

No biggie ..... a day at the track is all that matters, eh?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have riden both North and South tracks, but not the full. I am doing the full in August. I really liked both north and south tracks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Best track day to date ...... I think (neddyseagoon748)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by neddyseagoon748 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">James good on yer m8.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

One thing I didn't mention is how tasty a few Stella's were after a fine track day when the temp was a sultry 95 degress and it was humid as a swamp.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (spdrcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spdrcrx »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have riden both North and South tracks, but not the full. I am doing the full in August. I really liked both north and south tracks. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey, who's running the full course in August? I didn't see it on the STT schedule, and I didn't think NESBA was doing the full course at all.

Lemme know ......

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Eddie,

You working the STT event at Grattan July 4th?

D-Day

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Best track day to date ...... I think (D-Day)

No, I will be in North Carolina riding around the Blue Ridge Parkway.

My next STT even is a 2-day at Putnam at the end of July.

eddie

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

BTW: I just got an email on this –

Sportbike TrackTime is going to do the full course at Autobahn again.

Labor Day weekend they are going to run the North course one day, the South the next and then on the Monday it is going to be the Full track.
3 different tracks in 3 days at the same place.

Too bad I am getting married the following Friday or I would be there!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts