Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can my fellow speezilla brothas and sistas post some info about places to buy used Ducati motors?

My Dad told me months ago to get a back up motor and I've been kicking the idea around for a bit now. So I'm thinking about at 996 or a 998 engine, preferably a 998

I guess that I'll need the throttle body, wiring, and computer to go with that. Anything else?

Thanks in advance,
Tifosi

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Best place to purchase used Ducati engines??? (Tifosi)

If you get stuck I have my S4 916 engine, it is burnt but can be reused again with some TLC, done 22000km and ran like robber!

Just to chuck it into the arena as a thought, hopefully your will get want you need.

How badly was the boom on your old engine?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Best place to purchase used Ducati engines??? (Monstaman)

I would say the best place to find them is in used motorcycles. Sorry.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Best place to purchase used Ducati engines??? (DesmoBob)

I have a 996 motor

and maybe even a 998

lots of 748's

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Best place to purchase used Ducati engines??? (section8superbike)

I know where you can get a 998R motor. Let me know and I'll pass along the information.

Mike

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Best place to purchase used Ducati engines??? (mike996r)

998R? Hey if you dont want it...let me know..I'm all over that one

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Best place to purchase used Ducati engines??? (rugbymook)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rugbymook »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Try Mark Hatten at Wounded Duc.

http://www.woundedduc.net/home.html

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for referral, Rugbymook. Yes, I do have a 998 engine. And a Jeff Nash-built hot-rod 748 as well.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike996r »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know where you can get a 998R motor. Let me know and I'll pass along the information.

Mike</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats a rare one

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Best place to purchase used Ducati engines??? (section8superbike)

The 998R is at the same shop that I take my 996R in for service. If anyone's interested, IM me and I'll pass along your contact information to the shop and they can contact any interested parties directly. I should get a commission for this

Mike<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by section8superbike »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thats a rare one
</TD></TR></TABLE>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

sorry for the thread grab.... but would a 998 motor line up on a 748? i cant remember where but there was a discussion on the new 999 motors not slotting in the old frame? can anyone confirm or shed light?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thanks everybody, I'll start contacting today

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Best place to purchase used Ducati engines??? (doughboy_748r)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by doughboy_748r »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sorry for the thread grab.... but would a 998 motor line up on a 748? i cant remember where but there was a discussion on the new 999 motors not slotting in the old frame? can anyone confirm or shed light?</TD></TR></TABLE>

My teammate has a 916 with a 998 motor in it. I think that he had to modify the injectors, so I'm assuming it will fit into my rig.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Best place to purchase used Ducati engines??? (doughboy_748r)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by doughboy_748r »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sorry for the thread grab.... but would a 998 motor line up on a 748? i cant remember where but there was a discussion on the new 999 motors not slotting in the old frame? can anyone confirm or shed light?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The frames are essentially the same -- the 998 coils are mounted outboard, and the upper motor mount is a larger OD, but both of those have easy work-arounds. You will need the 998 throttle bodies, ECU, wiring harness, and airbox (I suppose you could modify a 748/916/996 airbox if you wanted). I have it all if someone wants a package deal.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Best place to purchase used Ducati engines??? (Wounded Duc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Wounded Duc »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The frames are essentially the same -- the 998 coils are mounted outboard, and the upper motor mount is a larger OD, but both of those have easy work-arounds. You will need the 998 throttle bodies, ECU, wiring harness, and airbox (I suppose you could modify a 748/916/996 airbox if you wanted). I have it all if someone wants a package deal.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Cool, I'll send you an email shortly

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Best place to purchase used Ducati engines??? (Wounded Duc)

Mark,
What email address can i reach you at? The "info..." address bounced back:(

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Best place to purchase used Ducati engines??? (Monstaman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Monstaman »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How badly was the boom on your old engine?</TD></TR></TABLE>
I'm not sure yet, I pulled the front cylinder head last night and all I can see is some little marks where the exhaust valves appear to have hit the cylinder head. Besides that I found some brass colored bits on the pre-filter.

It sounded big when it went, but I haven't found anything "alarming" in the engine so far...very frustration.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tifosi »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Mark,
What email address can i reach you at? The "info..." address bounced back:(</TD></TR></TABLE>

[email protected] should be working, as I'm getting e-mail there today. If not, you can send to [email protected]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts