Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me know what you guys are using and how well it works in a crash...and what model #

Thanks all

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Best back protector to buy? (brettmess24)

I've been using the Bohn back protector for years now. I like it because of how the design allows for more coverage of the shoulder blades and tailbone.

Fortunately, I've only crashed a few times in the last 5 years, but there have been two rather hard crashed at some good speeds. One was a highside around 70-ish mph and the other was a lowside around 120-ish mph. In both case, I bounced around and slid on my back for a good while... and in both cases, I never had even a bruise or sore area.

Granted, every crash is different, but IHO, I'll never use another back protector.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Best back protector to buy? (Tripod-R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tripod-R »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've been using the Bohn back protector for years now. I like it because of how the design allows for more coverage of the shoulder blades and tailbone....Granted, every crash is different, but IHO, I'll never use another back protector. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I must agree. I use a Bohn Carbon Kevlar, and I crash a lot. I have even had my own motorcycle strike me in the back after a 80 mph lowside on a wet track... the Bohn is awsome.

Second only to the fact that it's huge and covers my shoulderblades and tailbone, is the fact that it has no hard outer parts to wear through my leathers in a slide.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Best back protector to buy? (banda)

thanks fellas it seems like bohn is the way to go!

I have always heard good things about em

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I have a Knox KC 2000 X1 that I like a lot.

Bohn is a very, very good Knox knock-of but are cheaper.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

From what I've seen at the track and from when I rode on the streets the Bohn and the Dainese are the most popular choices

-Tifosi

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Best back protector to buy? (Tifosi)

I have a dainese backspace 2. It took some time to get used to, but it's pretty comfortable now. I only wear it at trackdays, because it isn't that comfortable though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Best back protector to buy? (Metcalfe)

Bohn Cool Air Pro Racer. I haven't had the opportunity to test it....yet

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by brettmess24 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks fellas it seems like bohn is the way to go!

I have always heard good things about em</TD></TR></TABLE>

Keep in mind that there are two models in length. The "normal" and "Pro Racer". The only difference is that the Pro Racer is longer and geared towards the taller riders. I don't know how tall you are, but if you are over 6' 1" then I would look into both.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Best back protector to buy? (Tripod-R)

Im 5'11" do you still think I should look into both?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wear impact armor it is a custom made back protector with chest protector also, you can wear one and not the other if you like. Small operation but you would not believe the names of guys that wear it, Tommy Hayden, Nicky Hayden, RL Hayden, Colin Edwards, Troy Corser, Steve Rapp, Marty Craggil, Karl Muggeridge, Ben Bostrom, Jake Zemke, Mat Mladin, Doug Chandler and more...it's really amazing. His website sucks but the product is the best. I haven't had to "use" mine yet but several of my friends have gone down at the track several times with them and felt they owed their health to it.

http://www.impactarmor.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I've had the unfortunate opportunity to "test" my AlpineStars Tech twice this year and I'm extremely happy with it.
Short versions:
1: Homestead, Feb, Saturday Practice: Phucktard rearends me so hard, I fly over my bars and get wedged between another rider's back tire and rear subframe, tire against my back. This was a 70 MPH turn and witnesses said the newbie in t-shirt over leathers had to be going 90-100 when he hit me. NO BACK INJURY!
2: Jennings, May, Heavyweight Superbike: Get hit off the start just after shifting to 2nd (75-80 MPH) tank slapper . . . highside . . . fly airborne past a couple riders, land on my back, flop roll a few times end up face down as TWO other riders run over me. NO BACK INJURY!
I guess it worked. No equipment complaints here.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a Bohn Pro Air and really like it. I've never crash tested it though.

RiDE magazine in England often rates the Alpinestars and Sidi very highly in their reviews. Bohn isn't available there, but Knox is. They do pretty good too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I wear a carbon kevlar bohn, apparently. Although it's perfectly comfortable, and provides excellent protection (from what I've heard, I haven't crashed in it yet), the best thing about it is it's free, since my brother's got two and lets me borrow one. I'd suggest getting an older brother with all of the equipment, and then bumming stuff off of him each time you go to the track. If you play your cards right, you can even get by without buying a motorcycle for a few years.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Best back protector to buy? (2ndhandSV)

my bro lives in WI and has a Fatboy so Im out of luck in that dept.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by brettmess24 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im 5'11" do you still think I should look into both?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nah... the standard size should fit just fine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Best back protector to buy? (dragaknee-rc51)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dragaknee-rc51 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've had the unfortunate opportunity to "test" my AlpineStars Tech twice this year and I'm extremely happy with it.
Short versions:
1: Homestead, Feb, Saturday Practice: Phucktard rearends me so hard, I fly over my bars and get wedged between another rider's back tire and rear subframe, tire against my back. This was a 70 MPH turn and witnesses said the newbie in t-shirt over leathers had to be going 90-100 when he hit me. NO BACK INJURY!
2: Jennings, May, Heavyweight Superbike: Get hit off the start just after shifting to 2nd (75-80 MPH) tank slapper . . . highside . . . fly airborne past a couple riders, land on my back, flop roll a few times end up face down as TWO other riders run over me. NO BACK INJURY!
I guess it worked. No equipment complaints here.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Holy freaking shit! Glad you're still with us.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Best back protector to buy? (jbraslins)

My brother rocks the Impact Armor (back and chest), tested by two lowspeed crashes, also tested with one highside at over 100 mph, no back injury.

I wear the TPro Forcefield back protector, it's comfy, passes CE2 standards, I have not crash tested it *knocks on very large piece of wood*

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I used a Knox and liked it alot, never tested it 3 years thank goodness.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts