Speedzilla Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Re: (emakadoshus)

I do like the look of Ducati's, but looking at the cost of admission for something that isn't as problem free as it should be, I'll buy two cheaper tickets that don't have any problems. To me the joy of motorcycling is riding the bike, not repairing it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Re: best and worst girlfriend (grinder96)

I agree with the character and charisma parts.

It looks like both sides of the fence have appeared and are both valid.

I think I'll stick with her for now, it hasn't been my dime yet and if I get out now I may never come back.

Grinder, in the case of anticipating repairs, i do think that my dealer coould have anticipated the lst clutch/flywheel(common 916 problem) and at least checked it. the only change was a new torque setting in later years. Also as i am a detail guy, every time i've looked at the bike and removed the fairing I find a couple little clamps that are loose- always checkin'

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Re: best and worst girlfriend (desmodaddy)

I'd keep it for a while and see how things pan out. Most of what you've had problems with are pretty typical, and won't resurface because you've taken care of them.

I'd watch that flywheel nut though...If they just retorqued the original it may back out again, and at that point I'd replace it with the Nichols double lockers. Oh and while your'e at it, throw one of those lightened flywheels on there!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Re: best and worst girlfriend (Tornado-rider)

so the nichols is worth it? i saw that, but the "dealer" mentioned not to believe all that is internet.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

yeah, don't belive the castellated flywheel nut backing off, or the rockers falking, or the....I could go on. Most dealers are full of crap.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by desmodaddy »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so the nichols is worth it? i saw that, but the "dealer" mentioned not to believe all that is internet.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Believe your mechanic if you want, but when I replaced the flywheel nut on mine, I compared the stocker to the nichols setup. The stockers threads were so sloppy and loose it was amazing it was still tight after the 10K miles that it was on the bike! The nichols nut's on the other hand threaded on nice and smooth with no slop what-so-ever!

Personally, I feel the $45 you spend are worth the piece of mind having them on there...Infact, I just picked up a set (along with a lightened flywheel) for my wife's 620 Monster.

Also, the stocker loosened up once before...what makes you think it won't happen again?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Re: best and worst girlfriend (Buckelew)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Buckelew »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah, don't belive the castellated flywheel nut backing off, or the rockers falking, or the....I could go on. Most dealers are full of crap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Man, even if the dealers were cool, I doubt I would go back to the brand until the reports of rear-tire oiling have been put to bed and the problem is solved. The good news around these parts is we never have to see the dealer after the purchase... Nichols is close by.

I guess I'm the only one that really likes the new body style, even if it does feel like the front wheel is 3 feet out in front of the rider. I'd buy a 999S/R in a second, but not until DNA and Ducati morph completely from the company and product they are into the company and product they should be.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Buckelew »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah, don't belive the castellated flywheel nut backing off, or the rockers falking, or the....I could go on. Most dealers are full of crap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Man, even if the dealers were cool, I doubt i would go back until the reports of rear-tire oiling have been put to bed and the problem is solved. The good news around these parts is we never have to see the dealer after the purchase... Nichols is close by.

I guess I'm the only one that really likes the new body style, even if it does feel like the front wheel is 3 feet out in front of the rider. I'd buy a 999S/R in a second, but not until DNA and Ducati morph completely from the company and product they are to the company and product they should be.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

the nichols nut sounds like a good upgrade for the $$$. thanks.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

My 1999 996SPS has never had a problem! My 1994 888LTD-SPO didn't either! Maybe I just get good ones?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

I think the Nichols jam nuts are worth the money - it's how Ducati used to do it. never had failures before.

But if you're a cheap-ass and don't want to part with $45 + postage; turn the not over and try to thread it on, by hand, with the slotted end first. If it goes on without some serious grunting and pain, throw it far away and go buy a new one.

Or just get the Nichols jam nuts, you cheap-ass

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

Cheap-ass
I called nichols today - closed. I'll get with them tomorrow.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

Dated 99 monster 6500 on the clock in may of 2000 and by may of 2001 it had 21000 hard miles on her. Then I meet that blond 996 in may of 2001 and fell in love. She had 3 miles on her and I stayed with her untill august 2002 and rode that girl like a bitch. 14500 hard earned miles on her when I droped her like a used rubber. Neither of these girls did I ever adjust the vales or even take in for service. Never had a problem. Traded the monster in and got 1000 less than I what I paid for it. Try to date any girl (even jap.) and do any better! Did almost the same with the 996 but she was wrecked and the ins. got that bill. I will not even tell you the unspeakable things I am doing to my 998 right now!!!!! Let's just say she has seen high speed crashes nurmous times and still has not seen a ducati shop or even needed one. She got a few black eyes and not as pretty of a girl as she was a year ago but still the same ole girl.
Point is your not happy! Sell the damn bike and get what the hell ever you want!
Your not happy and that is nobody fault but yours. You were the one who bought it. Hell you only gave six grand right? How much you want for her? Send me some picks. I might buy her I am not scared. Seeing a how you hate ducati ownership let me offer you a helping hand with your problem. How much you take for it right now? Not trying to piss you off but just get a good price on a good bike.
I think with a little luck, your luck will change and you will be happy. I know I have been pleased with my bikes.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Re: best and worst girlfriend (road rash 2)

sure, sure...after all this the next guy will have no problems, that's why I want to keep the Duc. the only reason i've got the time to mess around and chat at all is because it's still
in the shop.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

It's the dealer. If the bike isn't a fixed wreck, the dealer is not up on making a Duc fly!! Stay away from multi line dealers and find one that works on Ducatis every day, not once a month. My local dealer is a Ducati / MV Agusta dealer. He has never let me on the road with a problem and always came up with the parts and knowledge to handle any problem I've ever had on any Ducati I've had. He won't install internet parts and won't set up internet bikes (guess why?) but he keeps HIS customers happy and rolling. Just my opinionated opinion!!
Dave

21 - 35 of 35 Posts