Speedzilla Forums banner

Been Laid Up

3K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  HOOVY 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been laid up for the last seven weeks. I hit some black ice on a city street, the 14th of December and got body slammed by my RC51. I got beat up pretty bad, broken pelvis and ribs, but the RC sustained very little damage.

I had the whole left side of my pelvis, including the hip socket broken off as well as a couple of ribs broken just below my left shoulder blade. I now have 28 screws and 3 plates holding my pelvis back together. I spent six days in the hospital and a week in rehab. I've been on crutches since rehab and came back to work three weeks ago. I'm healing fine and should find out when I can get off the crutches next week. I forgot to mention, I'm 71 years old.

The RC had the clutch lever and left foot peg broken. The shift lever was bent and the left swingarm spool was broken off as well. The left muffler was mildly scraped and the fairing was cracked by the crash bung when the thru stud was bent. All in all, I'll spend less than $200 to repair everything. The mufflers will interchange from side to side and since they are high-mounts, the damage will be hidden.

I've included a picture of the bike and my injury. Hope you're not squimish.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Sorry to Hear You got so Badly Injured brother RC51er.:(

You have alot of damage to yourself, did you hit anything other then the ground, guard Rail, Car\Truck?
Granted, you did say you are 71 years Young, so we all know this makes us alittle more brittle.= SUCKS out Loud! :(

Looks like Simons exhaust on your 51 eh...

Strang bit on info. I Personel have found out... over my life time of riding MCs, When I have crashed or have been taken out by a DWI guy approx. 12-14 years back....
anyhow, what I have found out is, IF I was Hurt BAD my MC wasn't too bad and the other way around, IF I wasn't hurt too bad, my MC was Torn UP!

Anyway Mr305, I Pray YOU Have a Speedy & FULL Recovery, especially consider your operations you have had!

God Bless,

Peace Jeff

PS. Notice, Your Body is Beat and your RC51 doesn't look bad at all... Interesting isn't it.... especially consider My above comments?

#5 ·
That's a bummer Mr305, at least you'll come out ok. It probably doesn't matter much since your exhaust system is customized, but most good exhaust cans are made for the left or right side. The right header (rear) flows more air, and gets hotter. Good luck and heal up quick.

#9 ·
WoW Mr 305! You take breaking a hip to a whole new level. :eek:
Unbelievable!
My hat's off to your ,sir.
Surviving such a wicked crash with your good attitude and willingness to fix the bike before you're even done healing yourself - says a lot about you!
Best wishes for a proper recovery. Keep the pins and screws when they eventually come out, and figure out a mod to put them on the RC51. :)

#10 ·
Back in the saddle again!

Well, it's been 5 1/2 months since I had my accident and I'm finally back to riding the bike again. I finished up the repairs on the RC51 a couple of weeks ago and last Saturday I was finally flexible enought to safely ride. I put about 30 miles on it that day and have ridden to work and back this week.

I'd like to thank the members of the forum for their support and best wishes. Is this a great forum or what?

Here's a couple of shots of the repaired bike. Somonkobe, I couldn't have done it without your help.

Attachments

#15 ·
Ouch!!!

Hope you are doing well Prayers up for you brother. Keep riding :D :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.