Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just seeking the opinions of those in the know, are bar ends essential or not for vibes or just better for protection if you drop your girlie to the ground, I am about to fit heated grips and if I don't have to cut the ends out I won't.

Thoughts please, cheers all.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Bar Ends? (throttlehead)

cos the ends are closed off and won't fit on the bars with the bar end unless it is shaped like a normal grip.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Bar Ends? (Monstaman)

An easy way to add weight is to remove the end caps and put the weight inside the bar, the more the better to kill vibration.

The handlebar is actually responding to the engine's vibrations and will vibrate in harmony (resonate) at certain engine RPM. You can change the resonant frequency of the handlebars so that the bars do not respond to the engine vibration at say cruising speeds (shorter stiffer bars will tend to cause the high amplitude vibration to shift to higher speeds, longer or weighted bars will tend to cause high amplitude vibration to shift to lower speeds). Some manufacturers include weighted bar-ends as part of the design.

Weighted bar-ends are added mass that will lower the resonant frequency of the bar so it vibrates less strongly but does not eliminate all vibration. In many cases, that's enough. You simply change the resonance to a frequency that the bike rarely generates or to a RPM that has less effect on the nerves in your hand. Shifting the resonant frequency is intended to reduce the strength (amplitude) of the vibration at your normal cruising RPM.

I went to a dive shop and paid $3.00 for a 3 lb. lead belt weight , cut it up, hammered it into shape and shoved/wedged it in the handlebar. It’s got to be in there tight to work, closer to the free-end works best. The lead piece in each of my handle bars is about 5 X 1/2 X 1/2 inch.

Those lighter dinky bar-ends and Barsnake things they sell in bike shops aren't going to help as much. Placing rubber caulk inside the handlebars as some have suggested is unlikely to have much of an effect (beyond a little added mass) in damping vibration. Mixing calk with bird shot for added mass has been tried by some.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Bar Ends? (Monstaman)

Good answer above, but as far as your question, if they're typical Ducati bar-ends, all they're there for is protection. They're just plastic plugs, so vibration damping isn't really their job.

On the other hand, if you do have some kind of metal bar-ends, just try taking them out and go for a ride. You'll find out if the vibration is acceptable.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Bar Ends? (AZ Scott)

Thanks all, Shazaam what you say I how I understand it, I am looking at tapping the end of the bar inside and inserting basically a gigantic grub screw locktited in.

The clean end of a grip look nice for simplicity hence my query.

I will go ahead with internally weighting it as that is what I was aiming at.

Thanks guys.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
might try a set of throttlemeisters if you street ride, they def help out on long rides as they let you rest the throttle hand

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (Karlb)

They are great thing but not very usefull here, our longest straight bit of road for 400 km is about 4-5 km long the rest is twisties requiring attention.

Thanks for the suggestion tho.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts