Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had these installed today and have about 50 miles of bedding them in and they still don't feel all that strong - how long does it take to bed these in? Most of the black protective coating is gone and I'm using my old (per the instructions) Ferodo CP911* pads to do the bedding.

I guess they don't feel "awesome" like everyone says they do. Any advice?

Oh, and what would happen, say, if, hypothetically the dealer installed the left hand rotor on the right and vice versa any potential negative effects?
Thanks.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Axis Iron Rotor ? (hubert)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hubert »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Oh, and what would happen, say, if, hypothetically the dealer installed the left hand rotor on the right and vice versa any potential negative effects?
Thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

is that even possible ?
bleed your lines, get new/good pads, then re-evaluate

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

actually I beleive they can be put on wrong

The buttons dont carry the rotor they just float it,... and the little notch on the carrier holds the rotor....I think......?????

look at the pic...This would be for the right side?????

I thought when you get new rotors you brake them in with new pads so they brake in together......hmmmm maybe im thinking to much

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Axis Iron Rotor ? (throttlehead)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by throttlehead »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

is that even possible ?
bleed your lines, get new/good pads, then re-evaluate</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, it is possible. The rotors are directional and have an arrow indicating "forward."

They're now properly installed, however, my concern is that there could have been some negative effect on the rotor the 20 or so odd miles that they were facing the wrong direction.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Axis Iron Rotor ? (brettmess24)

I have them on one set of wheels for my 999. At first they scared the sh*t out of me when I first went onto the track with brand new rotors. Pulled in and took some scotch brite to the rotors. Went back out and by the end of the session they felt fine. I never could tell much difference between these and my Braking Wave Rotors on my other set of wheels.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Axis Iron Rotor ? (Wile E. Coyote)

I was amazed at my Spiegler iron discs. They said during the bedding in to make, I think, five really hard stops and the rear wheel was off the ground at like 80 mph. I have never felt brakes so strong in my life. They still continue to amaze to this day.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Well, it's good that they're now installed the right way. Send a hearty
to your dealer by phone or in person.

Are you still using the pads that were on while your were scraping the coating off?
Or have you now switched?

I'm using Platinums with my front B/T irons, just for reference.
I got the rotors and pads second hand (as a set) so I can't offer insight on how they bed in.

You can give a call to Jeff Gehrs @ BrakeTech, he should be able to give you the most relevant info.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Same thing happened to me when I bought the AXIS rotors. That black coating is something like Kal Gard Gun Kote, and it takes a while to wear off. On mine there's some cross-hatch marks from the grinding operation, and just those marks took over 10k street miles to disappear. I would guess these rotors will last forever at that rate.

With Platinum pads I have one-finger (and sometimes 2 finger) brakes. But it took a lot of street riding to get that way.

Can you see the grinding marks under the coating?

BTW: the photo above of the AXIS rotor is a photo of the old design. They've done away with the little pads. Now it's just the iron brake ring up against the aluminum carrier. No spacer. On mine those spacers were coming loose.

Brake Tech will swap to the new carriers for free. At least they did for me (last year). It doesn't feel any different.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How brakes have changed

Brakes sure have gotten better haven't they? Racers paid big money for brakes in the old days, and now street bikes have brakes that racers could only dream of back then.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: How brakes have changed (DanST4)

Got my Axis rotors used from Wounded Duc and am using the Platinum pads. Better feel, more stoping power. Nice!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Axis Iron Rotor ? (Speeddog830)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Speeddog830 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, it's good that they're now installed the right way. Send a hearty
to your dealer by phone or in person.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I did.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you still using the pads that were on while your were scraping the coating off?
Or have you now switched?</TD></TR></TABLE>

When I had them installed, they kept the OEM Brembo pads that were already in the bike on; when I had them reinstall the rotors, I also had them put in my spare, used set of Ferodo CP911* pads.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm using Platinums with my front B/T irons, just for reference.
I got the rotors and pads second hand (as a set) so I can't offer insight on how they bed in.

You can give a call to Jeff Gehrs @ BrakeTech, he should be able to give you the most relevant info.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No worries.

I tried to call Jeff but they were busy testing...I'll try them again Monday.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Axis Iron Rotor ? (DanST4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DanST4 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Same thing happened to me when I bought the AXIS rotors. That black coating is something like Kal Gard Gun Kote, and it takes a while to wear off. On mine there's some cross-hatch marks from the grinding operation, and just those marks took over 10k street miles to disappear. I would guess these rotors will last forever at that rate.

With Platinum pads I have one-finger (and sometimes 2 finger) brakes. But it took a lot of street riding to get that way.

Can you see the grinding marks under the coating?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

There's some very light cross-hatching but nothing serious. The contact surface still look dar v. the picture of your rotors.
How many street miles did it take you to get them to feel seriously good?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hubert »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

There's some very light cross-hatching but nothing serious. The contact surface still look dar v. the picture of your rotors.
How many street miles did it take you to get them to feel seriously good?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wouldn't worry about the fact that you had them mounted backwards. I think the buttons still perform the same function as every other rotor out there, it's just that the fingers are active only in one direction.

To answer your questions: It took at least a full season of street riding to get good power, I'd say over 6k miles. Like you, I remember thinking "these aren't so great". You need to break them in completely. The photo below is the rotors on my bike during the first year. You can see all the grinding marks, the marks that are perpendicular to the rotation of the rotors. You can also see the original carriers with the little pads.

Compare that photo to the one below it which is the same rotors a year later. The carriers were swapped out by Brake Tech (gold this time).

Now, my bike is an ST4 so I use it for touring and Blue Ridge Parkway sport riding. My usage is light compared to track day riding.

I would say that the brakes on my ST4 started working really, really well, with one finger power, after the grinding marks disappeared. On my bike that took a good 10k miles.

And for me the Platinum pads feel the best. I tried CP911* pads but they were AWOL in the rain. Platinum pads work best for me.

I wipe the rotors off with a cloth and some aerosol brake cleaner after every couple of long rides. And I pull the pads once a season and lightly flat sand them with 400 grit sandpaper.

You're going to love the iron rotors. Post back when you've had a chance to put some serious miles and heavy usage on them. Your rotors are brand new, and have an extreme pressure lube (Gun Kote) in all the low spots. Give it time.

Modified by DanST4 at 7:34 PM 6/4/2005

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

The cross hatching is supposed to be there. That is from the rotor being properly double disc ground in the manfacturing process. If you don't see that on new rotors it may a way a rotor manfacturer is saving money during production and also risking the rotor not being flat.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
one trip through the local twisties and the black kote was gone, don't expect these to work properly unless you have plenty of heat in them. I'm using Carbone Lorraine SBK-3 pads and 19x20 m/c and it's tremendous power and feel once heated up.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: (duc572)

The ductile iron rotors should not have to wait on any heat. It is probably your pads that need the heat to bring on the sticky brakes.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: (duc572)

I've noticed no need for heat with my Platinum/BT Iron combo.

Seem to work OK in the wet, but I've only done that a couple of times.

Might try sanding the pads a bit to start with a fresh surface.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: (Speeddog830)

Check out the Brake tech website for FAQ's about the iron disks. I put a set on my Mille and drove around the pit area during lunch to get the black paint off of them. The paint is for manufacturing & shipping to keep them from rusting.

Once it is about 80% is worn off, replace the pads and that should be it -ready to use.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: (hank)

Well, I talked to Jeff @ Braketech this AM. He said that having the rotors mounted backward wasn't an issue b/c they actually design the carrier buttons to be strong enough (structurally) to allow for this mistake w/out a fatal compromise of the rotor itself.
The issue with the pads is that they're simply a high heat compound, I've been doing repeated bedding and after about the 2nd hard, high speed stop, the brakes REALLY come on; Jeff did say that if I wanted that haul down a freight train feeling, I could use the Ferodo XR pads on the iron rotors and still expect a several years of life out of the rotors.
I'll be able to formulate a more succinct review after my first track outing.
Thanks all for your input!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts