Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone could post thier average run temperature of an RC. I am new to both the RC and V-twins all together. I know that twins run a bit hotter than inline 4's on average. I have an SP1 and I run anywhere from 178 on long highway runs to 200 to 210 in 40mph city riding at around 80 degrees ambient temp. I know they made some changes to the radiators according to Ron Ayers files in the SP2 but I am just curious on other riders temp readings. My Gixxer runs really cool around 170 steady unless stopped and my F4 reads \ usually which means sh*t to me unless it goes to the red. Thanks in advance.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Average run temp? (blazeword)

I would worry about it at all. Mine will get up to 225f in the dead of summer. In traffic just put it in neutral and let the clutch out, if it is to hot the fans will come on.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

that's about what I'm running..
driving the RC when the weather's in the 60's to 70's it'll creep into the 170 to
180 range, even running it in the low 80's will get me 190 to 200 or so..
Once I stop, the temp will hit 215-220 and the fans kick on..

Then that rear header start heating up the bottom of the damn seat,
then my azz gets all soupy... Nothing like a hot header baking your nuts off...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

The fans kick on around 214 on my bike and the temp drops back to the 209 range pretty quickly on my RC. When I am riding the temp stays around 189-205. Once the temp gets up after the initial warmup, the bike's temp will spike quick as soon as I stop and then drop almost as quick when I get going again.
I am thinking about trying engine ice to see if I can notice a difference in the heat I feel coming off the bike. Of course in the corners I don't notice the heat at all.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While we are on the subject I started leaving the key on to run the fans if they are already running when I shut down.(does this make seense?) Also how do you guys feel about reversing direction ?.thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (wingnutt)

I have done that as well with the fans running with just the ignition on but it doesn't help all that much seeing that the fluid is no longer circulating into the engine. Basically you are just cooling off the fluid inside the radiators.

Modified by blazeword at 7:42 PM 7/8/2005

Modified by blazeword at 7:43 PM 7/8/2005

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

234 if your fan fuse blown and you are riding down Canery Row during the US round of MotoGP with like a bizzzillion people walking and listening to the rumble of your Satos to then witness the RC51 steam engine mod with added sweet smelling of coolant
...Naaa this just didn't happen to me a few hours ago..Oh NO it didn't but I did get to see alot of T and A
...mostly from dudes of all ages asking to listen to them Satos
..NO really they did

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Average run temp? (3stripes)

Ah that sucks. I had that happen to me with my CBR only a tiny rock getting stuck in between the fan and the shroud was the cause for the blade to stop and the fuse to blow. I gave the traffic a nice steamboat willy show. By the way I see that the SP2's have twin fans, and the SP1 has a single. Does anyone know if it is easy to add the second fan? It shouldn't really matter unless you have a lot of stopped traffic riding but still couldn't hurt.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

If ambient temperatiure is around, say, 60 degrees, my Rc runs cool at around 180, sometimes less. But if it's hot out, like 90+, 220 is common. Ive even seen 236 while in a long, tight, uphill climb. I think a boilover happens around 250 or 255 degrees, but don't quote me on that.

I know there is a kit to replace the RC's two side-mount rad's with three front-mount rad's. I was wondering if it would be less costly to just add a small front-mount up by the head so you'd have three of 'em.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Unless you have alot of stop and go traffic? Two fans is over kill.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Area 51 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I know there is a kit to replace the RC's two side-mount rad's with three front-mount rad's. I was wondering if it would be less costly to just add a small front-mount up by the head so you'd have three of 'em.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've been thinking about that ever since i saw the newer R6 rads
but it's going to be hard...HAVE you seen the rads of an APrillia Factory??? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Average run temp? (3stripes)

In the 80 degree wheather my temp is consistent 167-170 (Highway).
In stop and go traffic, 205-220.

If I put my left hand flat against the left radiator to direct more air flow, I gain 7 more hp and the temp drops to 80 degrees

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Average run temp? (RC51CrewChief)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RC51CrewChief »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If I put my left hand flat against the left radiator to direct more air flow, I gain 7 more hp and the temp drops to 80 degrees

</TD></TR></TABLE>

And this ladies and gentlemen is how Colin Edwards won SBK Championships... LOL!!!

I run front mount radiators, and I average 175 degrees in most riding conditions. In heavy traffic, I come up to about 208 - 212 degrees. But since in So. Cal we can lane spilt I am moving most of the time. Any forward movement creates an immediate and significant drop in temp. I truly love the front mounts - and for anyone who can afford them, a worthwhile upgrade. Thanks Greg (vtwist).

We are toying with the idea of larger oil coolers and possibly a larger front/main radiator as well. What is going on with that Greg?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts