Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
lidzduc.blogspot.com
3,578 Posts
yeah, whatever! More interested in the RSD KTM cafe racer that's at the bottom of the same page:notworthy

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Funny how all of the pro-electric guys always overlook that one little detail related to how the electricity powering their latest creations will be produced....

Meanwhile...."Fire up the coal plant Harold, they're selling electric bikes now... cha-ching!!!!!"

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
oh gawd..... im not "pro electricity" or think these are cool because they are "green" or any of that huge bullshit, get off it for a second and look a the big picture through your blinders.
everything is red or blue with some of you.

when the day comes for these to be as fast as gas bikes, the will rip.....end story. And i think that will be awesome.

if i was trying to be green i would be saying how these things are shit, they create tons more pollution than gas bikes just from the manufacturing of the batteries. The disposal of all this electrical power from Hybrids, electric cars and bikes will become a toxic waste disaster of proportions that gas cars could only dream of.... but thats not what im talking about is it? im talking electric bikes that will rip the paint off your helmet from the insane torque these beasts will produce.

I also dont think cars will ultimately go electric for those same reason i just said. I see all this shit going Hydrogen or some other fuel source.
But i do se bikes going electric just because they would make better bikes than gas bikes in the end. The number of bikes under electric power wouldnt be enough to constitute an environmental problem as a whole....just like they are not a problem now, even without CATs and all the EPA shit cars have that bikes dont.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
You are correct, and the max torque at 0 rpm wil indeed make for wicked acceleration out of the hole. I must say I would love to see the Harley poser crowd spend their limited brain power figuring out how to make loud annoying noise with an electric motor, lol

Back to the point of my earlier post, it just irks me to no end when the greenies and most who support electric vehicles under the guise of environmental friendliness always conveniently steer clear of what is, in my opinion, their single biggest liability.

Off the soapbox now......

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I'll repeat what I always say about this.
Until Honda announces an electric motorcycle for the masses I'll hold my horses.
Honda has been working on electric vehicles for more than two decades now. While they have built a number of hybrids (cars) and the intriguing Clarity, the only two wheeled vehicle they've built is the Raccoon electric-assisted bicycle. It's old proven technology and as we speak Chinese factories are churning out cheap rip-offs by the hundred. :D
There are plenty of skilled enthusiasts and ingenious companies out there trying their hands at the electric vehicle game but we have to admit that their whole budget is probably what Honda puts in designing handgrips for their bikes or cigarette lighters for their cars.
If Honda thinks the technology isn't ready, the technology isn't ready.
Pushing a new technology too early can do irreparable image damages.
For example FIAT sold electric powered cars to city of Turin back in the '90s. These cars cost almost four times as much as the regular gasoline version and had inferior performances when compared to the Baker Electric of the '20s.
Vectrix sold electric scooter to the city of Milan a couple of years ago. These scooter were bought without the usual rigorous trials associated with police motorcycles and turned out to be duds, being unreliable, unsuited to Milan roads (potholes aplenty) and their batteries don't hold the charge. They were taken out of service and put in storage while Vectrix sorts the bugs out.
Things like these rightly turn people against electric vehicles.
There's nothing wrong with trying new roads but let's not rush things too much in the name of progress, environment or whatever.
And don't believe all the snake oil salesmen. ;)

·
2,737 Posts
Until batteries make a quantum leap in ability these are just a novelty.

Consider a couple guys chatting after a days riding;
Yeah, that was a great ride and we did 110 miles. Took it easy and hit 60 mph once! And only two four hour recharges on the route.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts

Yeah, that was a great ride and we did 110 miles. Took it easy and hit 60 mph once!
Actually, that sounds like an intense riding day in Hog-land, lol They just need to get the noise, uh, I mean sound, factor worked out (and maybe incoporate a small oil tank that drips so they don`t feel totally lost)....

·
lidzduc.blogspot.com
3,578 Posts
Very interesting article. Now, let's just hope the Chinese don't grab it or the Taliban take over!!!

·
2,737 Posts
Actually, that sounds like an intense riding day in Hog-land, lol They just need to get the noise, uh, I mean sound, factor worked out (and maybe incoporate a small oil tank that drips so they don`t feel totally lost)....
I tell ya it's all about cards and clothespins.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
They can take my gas-charged motorcycle out of my cold dead hands... Sorry Chuckie Heston moment there. :cool:

Yeah sure electric bikes are here to stay just like the pet rock, Millie Vanilli and all those cheap priced hybrid and electric cars which have really been kicking ass in the market lately... :cool:

Nothing like a two wheeled Honda Insight buzzing along oh so environmentally quiet to get the collective juices flowing - yeah I'll take that over a red blooded gasoline gulping little tingly feeling in the you-know-where Ducati because Decaprio or someone else who has no bearing on my life rides one.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Yeah, that was a great ride and we did 110 miles. Took it easy and hit 60 mph once! And only two four hour recharges on the route.

well, just like we used to say... until i can fit my computer inside something smaller than a 4 story building, im not buying one.....
its not a matter of IF theyll get better, its when and how soon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts