Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting this here because of the vast experience I know you all have, and I hope I am not embarrassing myself, but here goes...

My last job, from which I resigned a month ago, was 60 miles away; meaning a 120-mile round trip in DC traffic every day. No problem, really, because it was a motorcycle dealership, which means that they were bike friendly and I thus commuted 3 or 4 days a week on my 900SS. Ireally enjoyed commuting on the bike, but traffic on the Beltway is as bad as LA, if not worse, and it usually took me 2+ hours in a lot of stop and go traffic to get home. All sqeeze grip exerciser jokes aside, that's a lot of clutching, and sometimes it sucked.

before that, I worked for a large East Coast coatings manufacturer, and though I did commute on my bike to that job too, it could be a little awkward at times. The best way to get to that job on 2 wheels was on my wife's Aprilia Atlantic 500, which did 105 mph and 0-60 in under 6 seconds...and could out handle a lot of bikes. However, given the "blue collar" nature of the business, I got razzed a lot for riding a "scooter".

Well, now I start a profesional job w/ Progressive Insurance on Tuesday, and it happens to be...glory be...6 miles from my house. I can get there on surface streets where the speed limit never exceeds 45 mph.

Taking the Duck for such a short trip goes against my grain, and I don't think it's great for the bike, either. So I'm thinking about getting another scooter. :wackyI really like riding to work; just sets the day up nice, and I think a small, "sporty" 50cc 2-stroke may be just the ticket. I don't like the Vespa styled jobs, but I've been looking at the Aprilia SR50 DiTech. Neat technology, good looks, and I can at least tell people it gets 100 mpg, not that $3.50 gas really bothers me that much. It, as with all things, will change, but it helps justify the purchase and yeah, I'll feel pretty good about that kind of mileage.

So, do any of you all have any experience with these types of scoots? I know this isn't Italy or London, but it just seems to make a lot of sense. If anyone can offer any constructive advice, I'd really appreciate it.

Meantime, I'll be in the basement doing wrist curls... :)

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Get the scooter!:rockon

One of my techs lives 1.5 miles from the shop and rides a PINK Honda Spree to work every day. It also has a basket on the back!

I can't imagine what the kids at the bus stop would say if one morning he rode his fire breathing 999 racebike by the same bus stop........... with pink plastic on it:clapper

·
Registered
131 Posts
i go to work everyday on a BETA scoot (thats about 50 miles a day!). i love scooters. i once chanced on a guy on a 749 and when he saw me he was like "im the man i got the better ride" bwahahaha... when the lights turned green i guess thats the only time he saw knee dragging on a scoot bwahahaha... at the next light he went beside me and he was like asking "wow that thing corners good". but let me tell you for everyday commuting i think the scoots a really good option. gas costs too much and takes away extra cash id rather use on tires and other goodies for the duc!!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
The scotter is a great idea! If it can be done. I know I would If I did not have to drive manely on the hiway were speeds tend to be above 55 mph!

·
Registered
258 Posts
How about the Aprilia RS50, small light cheap would be a blast at 45mph handles well and isnt a scooter.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Motard!! Scew the scooter. What's it good for other than your commute? At least get something that you can escape a bad situation with. It would suck to be chased down by some road rage jackass!:twocents

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've been riding to work on a 85 Honda Aero 80cc scooter for a while now. It's getting a little old, and the tops speed is only about 38mph, so I'm going to upgrade it at the end of this month. I've been doing a lot of research on them, and the best bang for the buck(that I've found) is the Vento Phantom R4i. It's got a sporty look, 150cc 4 stroke engine, and can hit speeds up to 65mph. And all for less than what the Aprilia or Yamaha Zuma costs. You can have it delivered to your door for around $2100. They do have dealerships all over the US, so if you have one close to you, then you could just go pick it up and save a little on shipping charges. 1 year/5000 mile warranty, and they have been around for a while(1996?). I've heard that they are the fastest growing motorcycle/scooter company in the world. So I'm not worried about parts avaliability.

http://vento.com/pub/usa/moto_infotec.asp?zone=EUA&Id=11&moto=Phantom%20r4i

·
Registered
324 Posts
I rode around on the X-wife's Buell Blast back when she was..gulp..my wife. It's not a scooter, but it's damn close. And, it was a "blast" to ride. They're not too much $$$ and they don't look half bad. You can pick up a used one cheap if you look for it. :twocents

·
Registered
352 Posts
I had a Honda Trail 90 with a rack on the back that I used for summer transportaion when I was a teenager. I loved that thing. Great for buzzing through beach traffic :clapper

I like the suggestion to get a Motard. Great excuse :rockon

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, this gets funnier. After the Atlantic, we bought an Aprilia RS 50 w/ a Malosi 70 cc kit, pipe, rejet, and some other mods. I took it out on the highway and at 14K rpm in 6th gear I hit 80 mph, in a full tuck of course! Great bike. It helped that I only weigh 145...

The reason I'm leaning towards a scoot is because they have built in storage, and backpacks and tankbags and saddlebags gets old. The reason I'm leaning towards the Aprilia SR50 is because I can do many of the mods we had on the RS50...and no shifting...

Thanks for all the replies, and I'll check out the Vento.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I think a scooter is a great way to get to work if you have decent weather. Nothing wrong with saving a ton of money on your fuel bill. By riding a scoot, it will pay for itself by saving the depreciation mileage on your cager, and the gas. As long as the weather is good, it is hard to justify NOT getting a scoot.
If the weather gets bad, ask your employer if you can take home one of their 'claim/adjuster vehicles'.;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agre with MNwilly. A friend of mine has the lil 50cc Aprilia. While the bike looks awesome, it is so slow, only his girlfriend rides it. Another friend wanted to ride it only to be dissapointed. I think you should get the 125cc Aprilia instead. Check out this Derbi, its 50cc too!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With the right mods, the SR50 will do 60+ mph. (!) The Derbi looks nice, but if I was going to go that way, I'd try to find a Cagiva Mito...7 speed! Looks just like a 916.

Still thinking, though.

·
Registered
94 Posts
get a scooter screw what your co-workers will say. on days that I ride mz scooter to work the abuse I get dosn't last more than 16hrs.then I take out my revenge in the last 8hrs. when those candyaces are trying to sleep, there is nothig like life in the firehouse.

·
Registered
648 Posts
6 miles? how about a push bike?

the cheapest old piece of 250cc or similar crap you can find?

get wierd i say, it's only six miles, you can leave the piece of shit on the side of the road and walk it if you have to.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Iliketorideonmyside said:
Yes, I agree with Brad as one should, "get wierd i say" !
Try and picture yourself acting cool on this! :woot:

Pull up to work with a full face helmet, leathers, & knee pucks.:rockon

1 - 20 of 22 Posts