Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm afraid that the article is an oversimplification. Very differenct bike characteristics requiring different riding styles. It would be pretty interesting to see a handful of MotoGP bikes and a handful of WSBK bikes go head-to-head. I think that the acceleration difference between WSBK and MotoGP machinery would be pretty impressive.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it's like throwing a Mazda Miata and a Porsche 911 Turbo together in the Streets of Willow or Fontanas smal infield course, chances are the Mazda will either stay with the Porsche or even beat it. Heck, even better, a 250cc 2 stroke against a G1K at the Streets of Willow, I see it everytime, them smokers go by everyone.

the WSBK bikes weight more and make less power, right? The problem is harnessing the power-to-weight ratio on a GP bike to go fast, that were the real skill is in the GP grid.

Modified by drsus at 11:19 PM 3/4/2005

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Are MotoGP bikes really faster than WSBK bikes? (wolf44)

Corser turned in better lap times at Qatar than the GSV-R ever has. That should be really embarrassing for Moto GP's Team Suzuki.

I wonder who has a bigger budget, the R&D team for Suzuki's Gixxer-K streetbike, or Suzuki's Moto GP team. And I have little doubt that dating back to 2000, the same basic Gixxer-K has seen a lot more track time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Are MotoGP bikes really faster than WSBK bikes? (Rocket51)

I agree that it would be pretty interesting to see a Suzki MGP vs WSBK race. Imagine that selling point. Then every poser with a GSXR would think they could race motogp.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (quikie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quikie »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm afraid that the article is an oversimplification. Very differenct bike characteristics requiring different riding styles.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not really. For the purposes of the article, it is quite accurate. We just want to know if equal talented riders (i.e. not Rossi) were to square off, just what IS the difference. We don't have to brake it down to the MOST SPEFIC little detail.
JMO

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (quikie)

I think alot would depend on the track. Mugello, Sepang or Assen--The Moto GP bikes would fly past WSBKs. But at a place Laguna Seca I bet they'd be real close. A 1st gear 40 mph corner is the same whether your bike is 250 hp or 190 hp. I don't think we'll be seeing Moto GP at it's best at Laguna since the track lacks the quarter mile straight like Mugello. Seeing those Ducatis flat out at 220mph would bring a tears to my eyes. I think the bikes will be hamstrung by Laguna's technical nature.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (DocHolliday)

The article is assuming that the porky (relatively speaking) Superbikes would be able to get the same out of the premium tires MotoGP bikes can. I think they would have to use harder compounds of the good rubber to last the race, or end up fading away sooner.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (AtomTan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AtomTan »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So is it better to be quick or smooth?</TD></TR></TABLE> it's better to be smoothly quick on a quick track, and quickly smooth on a smooth track, but if you're quick on a quick track and smooth on a smooth track, and the other guy's are smooth on a quick track, and quick on a smooth track, you'll quickly become world champion, and this means further that if you're quick and others are smooth, when the track is smooth and quick, you'll win, but if you're smooth and they're quick on a smooth smooth smooth quick track, you'll be smooth and quick, but get like, dude, in fourth place that race. I know this for a fact.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (996miami)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 996miami »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> it's better to be smoothly quick on a quick track, and quickly smooth on a smooth track, but if you're quick on a quick track and smooth on a smooth track, and the other guy's are smooth on a quick track, and quick on a smooth track, you'll quickly become world champion, and this means further that if you're quick and others are smooth, when the track is smooth and quick, you'll win, but if you're smooth and they're quick on a smooth smooth smooth quick track, you'll be smooth and quick, but get like, dude, in fourth place that race. I know this for a fact.</TD></TR></TABLE>

my head hurts.............

-Bob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (DocHolliday)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DocHolliday »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> But at a place Laguna Seca I bet they'd be real close. A 1st gear 40 mph corner is the same whether your bike is 250 hp or 190 hp. I don't think we'll be seeing Moto GP at it's best at Laguna since the track lacks the quarter mile straight like Mugello. </TD></TR></TABLE>
How long is the (Semi) Straightaway between turn 11 and 2. Felt longer than a 1/4 mile to me

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (TBONE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TBONE »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
How long is the (Semi) Straightaway between turn 11 and 2. Felt longer than a 1/4 mile to me</TD></TR></TABLE>

to the apex of turn 1 (the top of the hill, and yes kiddies it is a turn) 555 feet

Apex of T1 to first apex of T2 (it is a double apex) 425 feet

So it is less then a quarter mile and that does not factor in the braking area.

The fastest part of Laguna is the straight from T4 to T5 it is over 1000 feet long and the Moto GP bikes will exit t 4 at 120 mph and enter t 5 at around 110 mph

I would hazard to speculate that we will see a Motorcycle in the teens when the Moto GP boys come to town

I believe the fastest lap at Laguna on a bike to date is in the mid 124's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (sp2pilot)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sp2pilot »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I believe the fastest lap at Laguna on a bike to date is in the mid 124's

</TD></TR></TABLE>

[humble] Yeah... that was me. [/humble]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Are MotoGP bikes really faster than WSBK bikes? (wolf44)

.67blahblahblah seconds average is still 6.7 seconds average after only ten laps.

Have you ever sat up at a track day and looked behind you to see how far away six point seven seconds really is???????

Isn't this .67blahblah difference just between the very best of GP and the very best of WSB????????

What about the difference in average of the rest of the respective fields???????

Statistics can and will lie in the hands of their beholders.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Are MotoGP bikes really faster than WSBK bikes? (RC BS)

I have an issue of RRW that has a little comparo b/w MotoGP, WSBK and F1. It went something like; WSBKs are (on average, fastest guy to fastest guy) ~5 seconds slower than MotoGP. MotoGP bikes are ~ 30 seconds slower than F1 cars. And SBKs are ~ 40 secs. off the pace of an F1 car.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Are MotoGP bikes really faster than WSBK bikes? (hubert)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hubert »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have an issue of RRW that has a little comparo b/w MotoGP, WSBK and F1. It went something like; WSBKs are (on average, fastest guy to fastest guy) ~5 seconds slower than MotoGP. MotoGP bikes are ~ 30 seconds slower than F1 cars. And SBKs are ~ 40 secs. off the pace of an F1 car. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What track are they talking about?

Math majors they ain't

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Are MotoGP bikes really faster than WSBK bikes? (sp2pilot)

Just check the lap times at Donnington. All three series go there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: Are MotoGP bikes really faster than WSBK bikes? (SP8)

I take that back. It doesn't look like F1 goes to Donnington anymore.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts