Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so another question: Arai GTR Signet vs Shoei X-Tec vs Icon Mainfame - Which is the quietest at speed and which has the best ventilation in the heat?

My X-Tec was very noisy but the ventilation was great.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Arai vs Shoei vs Icon: which helmet is quiet and has good ventilation? (cyber3d)

Arais are noisy.. i have a Singet GT and i wear earlplugs on long trips specially when i ride loud bikes. I heard Shoei has the most quit helments and if i had to pick between those 3 i would leave the china (or somewhere around there) made ICON out of my shopping list!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Arai vs Shoei vs Icon: which helmet is quiet and has good ventilation? (Giannis)

Every time I see one of these helmet discussions, I grit my teeth. EVERY manufacturer makes their helmets according to a mold of what they think a human head looks like....if your head does not match their mold, that helmet (could be the GREATEST helmet EVER made) will NOT work for you. Plain.....and......simple. I can not wear an Arai...doesn't fit my head, great helmet, hightly recommended, won awards, looks cool, lots of pros wear them....but they don't fit my head. The only helmet that matches my exact head shape is Shoei so that is what I wear. Great helmets to boot but the choice was for fit and comfort.

Giannis is right about ICON though, not a real product, only a "brand". Looks only...which works for the 90% of people who buy sportbikes (ever read some of the totally weird stuff on ebay? where do these "people" come from?)

Soooooo...what difference does it make if it does not fit you?????????

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Arai vs Shoei vs Icon: which helmet is quiet and has good ventilation? (cyber3d)

Arai is the only helmet that fits me. I haven't been able to compare noise to other helmets. I don't have a problem with it. I love my helmets!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm a Suomy Spec 1R fan. It's a loud helmet but it flows a ton of air and fits me like a custom made job.
gregc

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Yeah, my ex-girl use to shine my helmet pretty damn well to the point.......err.........oooppss wrong topic. Arai here

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Arai vs Shoei vs Icon: which helmet is quiet and has good ventilation? (roadkill)

I have a SHoei, and an Arai. The Shoei is better for me in cool weather. The ventilation on the Arai is as close to not wearing a helmet as you can get. That includes bugs and rain in the mouth with the chin vent wide open. I prefer the Arai in the heat, but love the Shoei in the cold wet weather.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (gregc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gregc »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm a Suomy Spec 1R fan. It's a loud helmet but it flows a ton of air and fits me like a custom made job.
gregc</TD></TR></TABLE>

+1 Suomy rock. If Suomy fits, don't look any further.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I have a Shoei TZ1. And while I like the fit and function, it is louder than my previous HJC.
Any ride longer than commuting to work and I'll wear ear plugs. A chin skirt might cut down on some of the roar.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Arai vs Shoei vs Icon: which helmet is quiet and has good ventilation? (roadkill)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by roadkill »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Every time I see one of these helmet discussions, I grit my teeth. EVERY manufacturer makes their helmets according to a mold of what they think a human head looks like....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude, admit it. You're a cheap bastard. "Not fitting" is a lame excuse for not having the most expensive helmet you can locate. When I buy a helmet, I don't even try it on. I read the JD Power customer satisfaction rankings, then I buy the top of the line, blingingest helmet with the craziest replica graphics. I also buy two of every colored or tinted shield offered that will fit it. Then I throw the vendor an extra hundred bucks. Because other peoples' opinions and the amount of money I spend have a direct effect on how safe I am. I know it's true.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Arai vs Shoei vs Icon: which helmet is quiet and has good ventilation? (banda)

My Arai is noisy and fits good. My Shoei RF-1000 fits excellent, is quiet and vents better than the Arai. The foam in the Shoei is actually two pieces with a molded in channnel for airflow. So the hot air in your helmet gets drawn away from your head rather than blown in your face, pushed around your head and out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Arai vs Shoei vs Icon: which helmet is quie ... (Capt. Home Slice)

My last helmet was an Arai (Quantum I think). Good helmet, good ventilation - fairly light. I liked it & it served it's purpose & saved my noggin when I needed it most. My wife bought me a Shoei (dont remember which model) & it's about the same as the Arai - but a lot quieter. I wear ear plugs anyway when I ride, so it wasnt a big deal.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For great ventilation you can't beat a skullcap. ;-)

No I've had both and Arai RX-7RR and various Shoei models. I personally like the Arai.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Best way to check venting is to go out on a cold, cold day. All those vents in your boots or helmet that seem to do nothing suddenly shower you with freezing air.

Helmets with flat shields (for tear off's) are noiser than bubble shields. So in some cases you can quiet things down a bit with a swap.

I'd think having vents flowing air would also let in noise so you may have to re-think your requirements.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Having looked at the Icon hemets I can say that fit and finish is not very good but it is improving. Go with the Suomy, Arai or Shoei or even HJC if you like lots of good helmets out now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You have to admit that Icon hasput more squids in Gear than almost any/every? other gear company out there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: (TBONE)

Any of you guy's remember that Motor Cyclist helmet review a few months back?

Forget Arai
Forget Shoei

Go to Pep Boys, get your $79.99 helmet and call it a day.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

My last helmet was a Arai RX7RR Corsair. This time I moved to the Shoei X11. Both are fantastic but I would rate the Shoei as more quiet with better ventalation. Icon is a squid lid that is not in the ball park with Arai, Shoei, Shark or Suomy. The only Icon product I have is a bag they make that holds my laptop and Shoei helmet.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts