Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
He with the senior member
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A MUCH better race this time! That actually had some excitement for a change.

I was totally wrong on Stoned.....he rode brilliantly (shades of 2007) on the big Duc to run away and then keep Pedrobot at bay with great race management.

I must say......I am warming more and more to the little Bot. He may have the personality of a dead fish, but this guy is REALLY good. It would be interesting to know if he would be as quick with an extra 30 lbs on the bike to remove his own personal weight factor. But that's all just besides the point...I am almost starting to like the little fugger! ;)

Lolly racing for the championship again, as expected.

But what can you say about the HICKSTER!!!!! That pass on Lolly at the end was FANTASTIC! The little redneck is really trying now....which is great to see. Too often, I sit there thinking he can do it, if he only pushed harder, and this time he did it. Perfect!

Of course, that didn't help Lolly, who was probably raging in his helmet, but who cares, the Hickster did it to ya, mate! :)

CIA had a great battle to catch up to Hayden while Dovi was hounding him for the pass. The interesting thing is that both CIA and Dovi were catching Lolly! I'm not sure how much of Lolly's "slowness" was him just riding for the necessary points for the championship, and how much was imperfect setup, with the "privateer" M1 catching him. (Ok, OK...we know that CIA's M1 is probably 95% works bike already). Still, will make an interesting next season.

The major result that this race brought to me was....the Ducati remains competitive. It just needed a great ride to bring it to the front. This bodes VERY well for Rossi next year, who will almost certainly find another 0.5 to 1 second out of the bike. We'll see....

I think next year, the race is going to be between Pedrobot on the ever-improving Honda and Rossi on the Duc, and Lolly on the M1, with perhaps Rossi pulling it off. That may be wishful thinking, but I have to root for the big Duc, don't I? :)

·
This space for rent
1,478 Posts
It's amazing how well they have Pedro's bike hooking up off the corners now, if you look at his top speed it really isn't any better than Dovi's but when he hits the throttle he just squirts away from everyone. All the other bikes looked pretty equal in acceleration and top speed down the straight, the differences seemed minimal and strong on the brakes kept Spies in contention for his position at the end.

Great pass by Hayden and good for Stoner to find himself before the end of the season, I don't want to see Pedro running away with wins while Lorenzo cruises home to an easy championship. The sooner Lorenzo wraps it up the sooner he can just hang it out and go for race wins and maybe create some good old rivalry with Pedro to finish the season.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I was looking at the current points totals, and although it would be an extreme long shot...it is possible for Spies to out-point Rossi in his rookie season. Granted, there were mitigating circumstances, but still, that would be quite an accomplishment especially considering that he is not on a Factory "A" bike...

·
Can Afford To Be Critical
1,852 Posts
It's amazing how well they have Pedro's bike hooking up off the corners now, if you look at his top speed it really isn't any better than Dovi's but when he hits the throttle he just squirts away from everyone.
30 pounds less weight will do that for you. However, have you also noticed that Pedrosa almost violently forces his bike up towards vertical and onto the middle of the tire in order to accelerate harder as well as preserve his tire's side grip? Gotta give the little fuk'r credit for technique.

It was great to see Spies fighting with Dovizioso. The guy is a demon on the brakes. And he never seemed to get out of shape.

Nice to see Hayden and Stoner give it their all and have a result to show for it.

I'm with OB - a great race.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I was looking at the current points totals, and although it would be an extreme long shot...it is possible for Spies to out-point Rossi in his rookie season. Granted, there were mitigating circumstances, but still, that would be quite an accomplishment especially considering that he is not on a Factory "A" bike...
I could see it happening given that Rossi is considering having surgery on his shoulder before the season ends and missing the last 2 races.

As far as Aragon goes, nice to see Stoner finally put a race together this season, and good on Pedrosa for finishing ahead of Lorenzo even if he didn't win. Pretty sweet last lap move by Nicky although I would have liked to see the last lap for Spies/Dovi as well.

·
Registered
165 Posts
It was awesome to see Hayden pass Lorenzo!:rockon

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
can't wait until Rossi gets to work on the Duc, after they iron out a few wrinkles, that bike's gonna dominate...

great ride Nicky... :clapper

·
Currently: Moderating
12,576 Posts
can't wait until Rossi gets to work on the Duc, after they iron out a few wrinkles, that bike's gonna dominate...
And so it begins! Rossi even sniffs a top 3 in testing or a race and he'll be a development genius able to get the Ducati on the top so fast.:rolleyes: The bike IS ALREADY able to dominate. Stoner said his body position has changed since his injury and that's why he was losing the front all the time. The bike is fine, it's a frontrunner already. :rolleyes:

·
chimp on my shoulder
2,437 Posts
And so it begins! Rossi even sniffs a top 3 in testing or a race and he'll be a development genius able to get the Ducati on the top so fast.:rolleyes: The bike IS ALREADY able to dominate. Stoner said his body position has changed since his injury and that's why he was losing the front all the time. The bike is fine, it's a frontrunner already. :rolleyes:
yup and if anybody should be given props for development on that bike it should be Hayden. And way to go Nicky. that was the first GP this year that I haven't fallen asleep watching. and the first time I've actually gotten psyched about a race in quite a while. and WHY THE HELL haven't they been running at that track all along, what a spectacular circuit.

·
12,576 Posts
and WHY THE HELL haven't they been running at that track all along, what a spectacular circuit.
That massive mound of dirt in the middle sure looks like it takes away a great viewing experience in about 1/3 of the track as they charge up the hill.

·
Registered
409 Posts
yup and if anybody should be given props for development on that bike it should be Hayden. And way to go Nicky. that was the first GP this year that I haven't fallen asleep watching. and the first time I've actually gotten psyched about a race in quite a while. and WHY THE HELL haven't they been running at that track all along, what a spectacular circuit.

If you fall asleep on any races period you truely are a poser and need to pick up bicycling. Not motorcycling. Motorcycling isn't based on rooting for a home country boy.....even when it's obvious he sucks.:clapper

·
12,576 Posts
If you fall asleep on any races period you truely are a poser and need to pick up bicycling. Not motorcycling. Motorcycling isn't based on rooting for a home country boy.....even when it's obvious he sucks.:clapper
So only soccer, the World's largest sport, is based on nationality and "rooting for the home team"?

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Nicky has kept the Ducati program alive the last 2 years while Stoner was....? whatever he was doing. I have never understood the mentality of people that consider a World Champion as someone who "sucks" .

·
V4 CyclePath...
6,827 Posts
Whew!!! finally a race with all elements to hold the casual viewer... hard
cores will watch no matter what...

Rossi was happy to see the Ducati doing so well... instead of staying in
Yamaha's saddle... he needs to go see the Doc about an operation...

Quote Nicky
Nicky later described dice with points leader Lorenzo as a "hokey, backyard
kind of move the the kind of move you'd use to get past your brothers!"

Lorenzo gave up a few points at a track where the Yamahas had a blindingly
obvious power deficit... perhaps a way to get the engineers off their duff he
should speak about Yamaha trying a V4 like Rossi did back in 07...

Ben's move on Dovi continues his rise as the hottest property and more likely
Honda will make him an offer he can not refuse... maybe Ben can crack the V4
code of power and agility...

Quote Dovi:

"The crash happened between turns 12 and 13, Spies went in too deep
and I tried to overtake him on the inside. That meant I was carrying a
little bit more speed through the change of direction and as I flicked
from left to right I highsided."

Quote Spies:

“I like racing like that and I told my crew that even if I'd finished
sixth it would have been the funniest race of the year for me," said
the double 2010 podium finisher. "Dovi and me started going at it with
four laps to go and it was fun.

"I wish it didn't end with him crashing and I'm sure he's mad he fell
down but we were having a blast. We kept it clean and close and he
just made a small mistake on the last lap. I must admit I wasn't too
far away from making one myself because it was getting pretty hectic.

"On the last lap I got him at turn one and then he got me back at turn
eight. Going into turn 11 I passed him but got in deep and when we
went back to turn 12 I was ahead of him but I didn't have the right
line. So he had to go around me but unfortunately he fell and that's a
shame because he rode great. I did too and for a while I was pulling
back Nicky and Jorge but fifth is still a great result.

"I wasn't far behind Jorge and I beat Valentino and I was the top
non-factory rider again. And the points are good for my championship,
so I'm looking forward to this big final run of races with a lot of
confidence."

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
never said the bike wasn't able to dominate, the pieces are there, they just need some tweakin to make the bike consistant...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts