Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this is old news, due to work commitments I seldom get to sit down and watch the races live these days but I caught up with the Silverstone round of the WSBK on RU yesterday.

According to Burnicle & Whitham (the English and relentlessly UK-biased Eurosport commentary crew) Leon Camier is under team orders not to pass Biaggi. Is this actually true? I'm not really a Camier fan but if this is the case Max is an even bigger prat than even I thought possible.

Oh ... nice clean I4 sweep of both podiums :D

·
Currently: Moderating
12,576 Posts
He let him by in Race 1. Said "switch" on the pitboard.;)

Then in Race 2, Camier was in front of Haslam so it didn't really hurt Biaggi as it took a place away from Haslam.

I was going over this with DrSus (who though it was breaking news that Ducati almost signed Rossi) and it's like the complete opposite of Fabrizio last year. At least this team has their shit together and are all on the same page.:eek:

Glad ur using RU and enjoying it.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Short memories - think Ducati, Haga, and 1 point

I missed that obviously. What total b/s, Ape suck.

A big thanks for hooking me up with RU brother.

JB
No idea why this is an issue since Camier isn't in contention for the championship? :confused:

If both riders were in contention I would agree let them fight it out but that's racing and teams, smart teams and Ducati after last season:cool: , will take any points they can gain when a clear team leader with a sniff at the title is in the running.

Haga lost the championship by 6 last season, points that could have been gained had team orders existed. Granted the points Haga lost in that race were 5 and he lost to Spies by 6 but it would have put more pressure on Spies and more confidence in Haga going into the final round.

Fabrizio beats Haga as Spies loses out | Page 1 | WSBK Race Report | Sep 2009 | Crash.Net

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would've argued the fact that Camier wasn't in contention for the championship and there was only 1 point at stake with Biaggi as clear leader is exactly why he should've been allowed to finish in front of his team mate. To me it smacks more of Max's ego than Aprillia's bid to win the title.

To top it off Gigi Dall'Igna was publicly denying any team orders at Aprillia at exactly the same time Camier was being shown the "switch" board.

Aprilia's Gigi Dall'Igna publically denies team orders

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
I would've argued the fact that Camier wasn't in contention for the championship and there was only 1 point at stake with Biaggi as clear leader is exactly why he should've been allowed to finish in front of his team mate. To me it smacks more of Max's ego than Aprillia's bid to win the title.

To top it off Gigi Dall'Igna was publicly denying any team orders at Aprillia at exactly the same time Camier was being shown the "switch" board.

Aprilia's Gigi Dall'Igna publically denies team orders
Not a chance. This is team orders not Max's ego and of course they are going to deny team orders, it puts a taint on the sport. Again 1 point may mean nothing now but ask Haga how important 1 point is, or ask Rossi how important 2 points were when he lost to Hayden.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So why (according to the link I posted which might be b/s) did Aprillia give Camier free reign in Race 2? Because they feared adverse publicity as a result of their Race 1 fiasco? I get why every point might count but these guys hypocrisy knows no bounds.

In '06 Pedrosa must've been told to tow the line after he took Hayden out when Nicky was battling for the title. But they didn't have them at Yamaha in '05 when Edwards overtook Rossi at the Corkscrew and they obviously didn't have them at Yamaha last year either when Lorenzo and Rossi went head to head at Catalunya. That was good racing and my only point in this (and I admit I'm naive) is that no team orders makes for a much better spectacle, potentially at least.

·
Currently: Moderating
12,576 Posts
So why (according to the link I posted which might be b/s) did Aprillia give Camier free reign in Race 2? Because they feared adverse publicity as a result of their Race 1 fiasco? I get why every point might count but these guys hypocrisy knows no bounds.
In race 1, Haslam was in front of both Biaggi and Camier (and there was NO way Camier could catch Haslam) so it was a free point to Biaggi. In race two, Camier was in front of Haslam so he was taking 3 pts away from Haslam as that's the difference between 3rd and 4th. Yes, he was in front of Biaggi, but that would've only been 1 pt to the better for Biaggi as he was back in 6th. Still team tactics at work cuz Camier was faster and able to stay ahead of Haslam taking away pts he desperately needed.;)

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
In race 1, Haslam was in front of both Biaggi and Camier (and there was NO way Camier could catch Haslam) so it was a free point to Biaggi. In race two, Camier was in front of Haslam so he was taking 3 pts away from Haslam as that's the difference between 3rd and 4th. Yes, he was in front of Biaggi, but that would've only been 1 pt to the better for Biaggi as he was back in 6th. Still team tactics at work cuz Camier was faster and able to stay ahead of Haslam taking away pts he desperately needed.;)
Thx, saved me the effort. :clapper

1 - 11 of 11 Posts