Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a few F1 fans are here on the Duc board. Wanted to know if anyone else was at the race in Indy today. What a f*cking farce! I flew in from D.C., spent beaucoup dollars all to watch a 2 hr Bridgestone test session.

If you were there or watched the race, I'd love to hear you thoughts on the matter.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Anyone @ the USGP today? (Heist)

I watched part of it and from what I understand there were a lot of unhappy people who paid to watch a race. What was the deal with all of the cars staging
on the grid and then twenty something left the field. A tire issue but why stage the cars?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Anyone @ the USGP today? (Heist)

I watched it as well. Normally I enjoy F1, and this "race" was so weird I wanted to watch to see what else could possibly happen. Couple of things occurred to me...how could Michelin get it so wrong after being at Indy for all the previous USGP's? Also, if F1 hadn't kept f-ing with the rules and restricted tire usage and tire changes at pit stops, maybe it wouldn't have been as big a deal...or if they had stuck with slicks like before. I don't know...it seems every year there are new rules that make the racing more constricted in the name of saving $. I thought the Michelin teams decision to stage and then pit after the warm-up was chicken shit. All the issues in F1 are way more complicated than my amateur brain can keep up with, but I do know that with the bike races, riders just get in the damn pits and change their tires when they start to go off and then get the hell back out there and race. I'm oversimplifying I know. I'm just glad I didn't spend an ass load of money to go to the race.

Regards,

Jeff

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Anyone @ the USGP today? (Sagerider)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sagerider »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I watched part of it and from what I understand there were a lot of unhappy people who paid to watch a race. What was the deal with all of the cars staging
on the grid and then twenty something left the field. A tire issue but why stage the cars?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was one of those people - not a good scene there. F'ers

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Anyone @ the USGP today? (themagicalswitch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by themagicalswitch »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I was one of those people - not a good scene there. F'ers
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Who, Michelin or the idiots throwing shit on the track?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

From what they were saying there is one hell of a pile of poo with the politics in F1 racing. I just hope it does not get too deep with the Bikes. Let's see, WSB one tire maker only, Moto GP in 2007 going to like 800cc max ----- what else?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Anyone @ the USGP today? (DesmoBob)

Ha, yeah - I didn't really think the throwing of the bottles on the track was appropriate, especially since there were drivers out there. That was pretty lame of the fans

I guess that is what happens when they cram 25oz. Fosters down your throat all day prior.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

One article I read this morning said it best:

"The drivers were embarrassed. The fans were disgusted. Any chance F-1 had of capturing the American audience was crippled."

The FIA, acted like idiots (so did the crowd at the end.....even though I can easily understand their frustration), unless they are truly interested in not capturing the American market. The could have easily given persmission to add a chicane to that turn, thereby making it 'slow' enough for all teams to race without endangering their drivers lives

nuts..............

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just can't buy in to the whole chicane thing. Michelin showed up with inferior equipment and then thumbed their noses at the sport and the fans when they couldn't get the rules changed to even out their disadvantage. They could've taken a penalty by pitting and changing the tires or driven lower and slower in turn 13. Survival of the fittest, I say. If the "chicane" arguement were honored, then where do you draw the line when one team has invested the time and money to develop superior equipment and another does not? Just my
. Either way, MOTOGP kicks ass over F1 any day.

Regards,

Jeff

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have been a die hard F1 fan for 15 years ever since I was in junior high. In those years I have watched every race, have had a subscription to F1 Magazine since its inception, and followed the sport closely. It is a shame what happened but I an see no other way to have had things transpire. Mich. engineers screwed up, the FIA can in no way change the rules to aid select teams, and despite how pissed some people are, why would Ferrari not run in a race that they came prepared for. The rules in 2008 seem to put more emphasis on mechanical grip and less on ero. so it will make for closer racing. However given the fact that F1 attracts the most talented engineers, I think if the FIA would leave the rules alone long enough, these smart guys will figure out how to make the cars effectivley race in dirty air. This would be a breakthrough for all forms of aerodynamic engineering.....hey isn't that what F1 has always been about?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: (jayhunter)

It looks like the whole mess was caused by the resurfacing of the track. Apparently, the people who did the resurfacing did a real crappy job of it and it caused a lot of unusal tire wear. NASCAR had to cancel a testing session and the Indy 500 testing session started out with a lot of similar tire wear/failures to what michelin experineced. Bridgestone was prepared because of thier realtionship to Firestone.

So why didn't Michelin investigate tire problems when the indy 500 guys where having them?

Bottom line is they should have done something to allow the michelin guys to race even if they did not get any championship points.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They should have just allowed tire changes for all teams. Bridgestone cars would have most likely on due to not spending times at the pit but at least there would be a race.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts