Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Living overseas has many benefits but also a few draw backs. I've been looking at getting a used euro spec 999 but regretfully in a 3-4 years I will have to return to the land of speed limits and crappy beer and I worry about getting the bike back with me. Anyone dealt with importing any type of bike from Europe. I tried contacting customs all they did was give me a worthless web-site to look at that raised more questions than it provided answers

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If you're planning to go back only in 3 or 4 years, why don't you buy a euro spec now and sell it before you go back to the us?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: (MV-999R)

I got a R1 back in 1998 and got it through customs with a letter from Yamaha that said the bike was emissions legal and I put a MPH speedo on it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Anyone ever import a Ducati? (bruntr)

You need to obtain a Letter of Conformity from Ducati that certifies that it meets US standards. The LOC is essentially equivalent to the DOT federal safety certification label and EPA emissions label that are required to be affixed to all imported bikes. It's my understanding that Ducati Europe will assist their dealers in providing the necessary parts and conforming labels/certifying documents for exporting most European models to the US. The pipes, headlights, reflectors, speedometer and emissions need to be EPA/DOT conforming. They will do all the paperwork necessary to verify you have a US specification bike, including providing all applicable EPA/DOT stickers.

Then it's a matter of completing the EPA DOT conformance paperwork, and paying import duty to US Customs

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks for the input guys

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Having lived in Napoli, and buying my duc there, yes I imported my 02 998 back to the states, but I had foresight to buy a US model, and then had the US Navy do the shipping and handling. It has been my expierience that even on models where there is no difference in exhaust, emissions, etc, the vin number will not match up as a US bike in the EPA system ,and thus not be legal for street use in the US. In the past Ducati S.p.A. has issued a certificate of re-manufacture that states the bike meets us specs, but I don't know how willing they are to do that anymore. In contrast to the horror stories I have heard about DNA, Ducati S.p.A has always been great to deal with for me and my friends that went through the paperwork / Importation process. At a minimum, the bike will have to be a model that Ducati has sold in the states, meet US specs, and you will need either a US VIN## or a certificate of re-manufacture that says it is a US bike. You will also need the Certificate of Origin, the Title whether it's German, Italian, or DoD, and whatever else Customs wants. I would suggest that you just order up a new US Spec bike. The differences are very little, and bringing them home is quite a bit simpler.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Anyone ever import a Ducati? (GialloDuc998)

After 2002 all non-US models have a 17-character VIN, just like the US.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bruntr »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> return to the land of speed limits and crappy beer </TD></TR></TABLE>

Good thing we don't have these importing issues with beer too!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Anyone ever import a Ducati? (sm0kimOn)

anyone with info if im bringing in my euro spec bike to canada?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Anyone ever import a Ducati? (doughboy_748r)

Two words: good luck. I talked to an older gentlemen who actually gave up on importing a Norton and a couple of classic MVs because it was so difficult to get them in from Europe. Having said that, anything older than 25 years, or up to US spec should be relatively easy to bring in (so long as it is on the RIV import list). In general, you can assume that if it is US legal it is Canada legal with the right paperwork--unless it is something rare like MV, Benelli, Bimota, etc. in which case forget about it. The best thing to do would be to contact the RIV directly--ask to speak to Natasha if you can, she does the paperwork for bikes. Failing that, talk to the guy at Transport Canada who oversees the bike process--his name is Wayne Duff, contact info below.

Wayne Duff C.E.T.
Regulation Enforcement Officer
Importation and Audit Inspection
' 613-998-1973
Fax: 613-998-8541
* [email protected]
Transport Canada - Road Safety
Government of Canada
ASFABA
330 Sparks Street, Ottawa ON, K1A 0N5

He is a nice enough guy, but not real flexible on the rules.

If you have a Euro spec bike, I would not be real optimistic about your chances. You might be better off buying a VIN from the States and slapping that on your frame and having a go at it that way. Not that I would dream doing something like that myself.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Anyone ever import a Ducati? (ApparitionAGO)

thanks AGO. its a 748r with all the road stuff on it. isnt the R model road legal in the us? there are guys on the board with r models so is it safe to assume that it would be relatively easier to bring that in a bimota fo example?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Anyone ever import a Ducati? (doughboy_748r)

The R model is certainly road legal in the US, but you also have to worry about emissions, signaling, etc. I know it *should* all be legit, but if I were in your position, I would try to talk to Wayne or Natasha first, because trying to iron it out once you are in the country could be a nightmare, with you having to send your bike back out. The other challenge you will have is that the RIV does not have any published information (that I could find) dealing with importing from anywhere other than the U.S.; look here for what they do have: http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html Good luck

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Anyone ever import a Ducati? (ApparitionAGO)

thanks AGO!

if anyone can share info please do..

bruntr,

sorry for putting all my questions on your thread its just that my questions related.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts