Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am restoring my bike and in the process I figured I may as well do some upgrades.

Things I will do for sure=

Add a lower temp fan switch and engine ice or water wetter.
Not sure if water wetter or engine ice is better.
Also gonna wrap exhaust also and have pc3 with custom map that helps I guess?

Now here are things I am debating=

I don't know if I should do the coolant mod of re routing radiators from papallel to series. Guy on ebay selling kits with info to reroute.
Stock I guess fan sucks and some people make then blow? What's better or best of all???

Thanks for input guy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would also run a switch that allows you to turn your fan on manually. Right now the fan blows in so it pulls air through the radiator which is ok stopped but moving its acting against the natural draw or air.

Right now both my fans come on at 214 but I have a switch the operates the right fan and is reversed. So with switch on right fan blows out great for stuck in slow moving traffic. when my bike gets to 214 usually only when i'm stopped, the left fan pulls in and the right blows out.

Also my bike i flushed with distilled water and used water wetter. Im a fan of water wetter personally but ive heard good about engine ice too.

Right now my normal operating temps are 180-220
I only see 220 when its 90+ and im moving at less than 15 mph for more than 2 miles.

once I pick up the pace im down to 204 usually.

·
Registered
45 Posts
almost forgot but I dont think wrapping is gonna help the operating temp. PC3 should help with the custom map.

hope this helped and im sure someone will be able to come in with header wrap and the rerouting.

·
Registered
947 Posts
don't waste your time, install a $50 spal fan and your cooling problems will disappear

and yes, wrapping the pipes does help

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
I removed both stock fans, and installed a Spal fan on the left radiator and a manual switch. It works pretty damn well up to about 100-105deg then things start to get much harder to cool down, depending on humidity. With the fan running constantly on the freeway it would stay at 200deg, but again, that was running at 105deg outside sweating my balls off.

I was going to go with another pusher fan on the right side, or scoops, but now that it has cooled down (to the mid 90's :cool: ) it has become a non-issue. My ride to work/schools consist of 10 min in town, 30 min freeway, and then 15 min in town. Basically any time that I am not going above 35-45mph, I'll use the switch to kick the fans on.

I understand the guy's idea on ebay, but I don't think it's worth whatever he is asking. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together should be able to figure out how to do it themselves. That, and if it worked that great, then there would be at least ONE member on here that had done it and posted up about it, yet there is none. Therefore my conclusion is that it must not be that great.

$35 for a fan, $10 for some wire and a switch from radio shack, and you should be good.

Pretty sure this is the one I used:

New Spal 5.5" Pusher Motorcycle ATV Axial Motor Fan: eBay Motors (item 190440798157 end time Sep-13-10 07:56:32 PDT)

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
don't waste your time, install a $50 spal fan and your cooling problems will disappear

and yes, wrapping the pipes does help
Hey selfinfliction,

Looks like I'll be trying acouple of these SPAL fans you have been telling us about,.. since my Speed Triple's fan just died!
I figure since I'm looking at buying 1 why no get 2 and try 1 of them on my RC51 as well;) But my question is.. the Fan b.miller posted a link for is for a "PUSHER" fan... Is that what You have been using as well, a Pusher fan?
I need a PULLER fan for my Speed Triple.
Can you also hook me up with WHO to Buy from Please as I do NOT use ebay.

TIA

Peace Jeff

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Isn't the push and pull of fan just the way it is wired or is it the style of fan blade?

Hey selfinfliction,

Looks like I'll be trying acouple of these SPAL fans you have been telling us about,.. since my Speed Triple's fan just died!
I figure since I'm looking at buying 1 why no get 2 and try 1 of them on my RC51 as well;) But my question is.. the Fan b.miller posted a link for is for a "PUSHER" fan... Is that what You have been using as well, a Pusher fan?

TIA

Peace Jeff

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
Isn't the push and pull of fan just the way it is wired or is it the style of fan blade?
Hey 00 RC-51,,
Yes, it IS the way the fan blades are set-up, in other words... a REAL Pusher fan, Not as our OEM fans with reversed wiring. ;)

Which is why I was asking HOW these guys who have bought these SPAL fans are using them... PUSHERS or PULLER Ofcourse.. these wires can be switched as well but then WE would be defeating the design of how it works BEST!
Not to mention I NEED a puller for my Speed Triple anyhow.;)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought the info off ebay for the coolant rerouting info on process. I can try and post it on here if anyone wants to try it? Let me know. I bought it and am debating doing it. Not sure it worth the efforts and just wanted some feedback before I did it was all. I have new radiators on way and wanna do all at once. I have lower temp fan switch on way and have exhaust heat wrapped and have pc3 and engine ice. Now I am debating rerouting coolant lines next. Anyone ever try those aluminum inline coolers with cooling fins? Any other ideas?

I removed both stock fans, and installed a Spal fan on the left radiator and a manual switch. It works pretty damn well up to about 100-105deg then things start to get much harder to cool down, depending on humidity. With the fan running constantly on the freeway it would stay at 200deg, but again, that was running at 105deg outside sweating my balls off.

I was going to go with another pusher fan on the right side, or scoops, but now that it has cooled down (to the mid 90's :cool: ) it has become a non-issue. My ride to work/schools consist of 10 min in town, 30 min freeway, and then 15 min in town. Basically any time that I am not going above 35-45mph, I'll use the switch to kick the fans on.

I understand the guy's idea on ebay, but I don't think it's worth whatever he is asking. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together should be able to figure out how to do it themselves. That, and if it worked that great, then there would be at least ONE member on here that had done it and posted up about it, yet there is none. Therefore my conclusion is that it must not be that great.

$35 for a fan, $10 for some wire and a switch from radio shack, and you should be good.

New Spal 5.5" Pusher Motorcycle ATV Axial Motor Fan: eBay Motors (item 190440798157 end time Sep-13-10 07:56:32 PDT)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So if I am understanding this dump both stock fans and get the spal 5.2 I think from what I have been reading is best if I want to use scoops in future? I would assume blades are reversed so wiring is straight forward? I have a sp1 by the way. Thanks

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
So if I am understanding this dump both stock fans and get the spal 5.2 I think from what I have been reading is best if I want to use scoops in future? I would assume blades are reversed so wiring is straight forward? I have a sp1 by the way. Thanks
Read reply #10 to your question about the fan(s) as I am waiting on hearing what the guys bought\USE as well... is ("selfinfliction" and others) using a Pusher or Puller on the RC51..?

To answer 1 of your questions YES all's you'd need is (1) SPAL fan then.;)

Now,... MY question to YOU is... I never saw a link posted to this coolant rerouting thing you are talking about....? First I have heard about it, so I'd like to see whatever info., you have on this Please..;)

Peace Jeff

·
Registered
947 Posts
Hey selfinfliction,

TIA

Peace Jeff

pm'd you the info :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
spal fan details

Please pm me details on spal fan also? I have heard 5.2 and also 5.5 spal fans. Can anyonr confirm which works for sure? I have a sp1. Does this mean this fan just replaces my one fan and I am done? That would be ideal. I would like to try it so please post or pm details. Thanks
pm'd you the info :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts