Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or do you know anyone who has? The company that manufactures our custom leathers will be offering roo leather very soon and I was thinking of getting one. How did it hold up?

Thanks...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
buddy of mine went off at willow turn 3 in his new motogp suit, I think it was first time out in it. Anyway the suit held up fine some of the stretch material they have in the arm got chewed but the leather was fine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Anyone crash-test a kangaroo-hide suit yet? (moomba)

You might want to e-mail Ty Howard. He crashed in a MotoGP kangaroo suit (he was sponsored by them) and he got messed up big time. He's decided to forego the sponsorship check and buy a Helimot suit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Anyone crash-test a kangaroo-hide suit yet? (Buckelew)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Buckelew »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You might want to e-mail Ty Howard. He crashed in a MotoGP kangaroo suit (he was sponsored by them) and he got messed up big time. He's decided to forego the sponsorship check and buy a Helimot suit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Mark,

How do I reach him? Is he on this forum?

Thanks, mate...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (WhiteyFoo)

This might be a good thread to ask, typically which suits (brand/model) hold up the best during the average trackday crash. I've only tested out an old AGV Sport 2 piece that got trashed in my 70 mph lowside. Got a deal on a Kushitani, have yet to purchace, I emagine they hold up rather well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Anyone crash-test a kangaroo-hide suit yet? (moomba)

Last year, when the back tire on the Kawasaki let go at 200mph, Nakano went ragdolled down the track in a roo-suit from Arlen Ness. After a stunned moment he got up and walked away. A number of pro suits are now made of roo. Like cow leather it all depends on the quality of the hide, sewing, and armor backing it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Anyone crash-test a kangaroo-hide suit yet? (stk0308)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stk0308 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Nakano went ragdolled down the track in a roo-suit from Arlen Ness. After a stunned moment he got up and walked away.</TD></TR></TABLE>

And his zipper burst. But in reality, what we can get is nothing like what they get.

Personally, I've had excellent outcomes with RS-Taichi. My Teknic held up better than my way expensive Alpinestars.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Anyone crash-test a kangaroo-hide suit yet? (RZ51)

I talked to Helimot about building a Roo suit

He explained the advantage to Roo is it is quite a bit lighter then cow hide. It also has better stretch to tear ratio then cowhide.

The Downsides, Roo deteriorates much faster then cowhide. the actual lifespan of a roo suit is less then half of cowhide. I asked it I used protective lotions and balms on it would it prolong life. He said sure but I can't get the balms and such into the seams and folds and that is the problem. The suit will weaken to a dangerous point in 5 years and as long as I am aware of it and plan on retiring it by then no problem.

Racers wear the stuff because of the potential weigh savings. If you can shave 10 pounds on a set of leathers that is huge. Imagine how much it cost to shave 10 pounds off a bike.

I think I will just stay with the Cowhide myself

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (Capt. Home Slice)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Capt. Home Slice »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Got a deal on a Kushitani, have yet to purchace, I emagine they hold up rather well.</TD></TR></TABLE>

We carry Kushitani at the shop so I know the product well...really high quality stuff. You can't go wrong with their stuff.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

a big issue in suits isn't necessarily the material, but the manufacturing methods, other materials, and sizing. Each of those can compromise the ability of a suit to protect you.

As for the Arlen Ness suits - the off-the-rack suits had a problem with quality in the first year. Haven't heard anything about them lately.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RZ51 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
And his zipper burst. But in reality, what we can get is nothing like what they get.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
The guy asking specificly said custom suit. He didn't ask for an off the rack unit. If his leather maker is any good at all he should be able to shop for good leather in similar qualities as the bigger manufacturers get. Just like Barnacle Bill, Syed, Z Custom, Helimot, etc do for cow leather.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stk0308 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The guy asking specificly said custom suit. He didn't ask for an off the rack unit.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Settle down muffin, I was answering the Captain's question.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RZ51 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Settle down muffin</TD></TR></TABLE>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Settle down muffin, I was answering the Captain's question.</TD></TR></TABLE>
OK, sweetums. It's your lie you can tell it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts