Speedzilla Forums banner

Anyone Anodize their wheels

3K views 21 replies 0 participants last post by  Guest 
G
#1 ·
Has anyone anodized their wheels? If so, have any pics? I have an opportunity to get anything I want anodized any color for free and am scratching my head at what I should do first. Anyone?

G
#7 ·
Re: (Monstaman)

i'd guess that anodizing would work well on forged aluminum rims if you stripped the paint and polished them first. but anodizing fades after a relatively (compared to paint) short period of time so unless you want to repeat the proceedure relatively frequently, i'd go with paint or powder. or... go with mag rims cuz they're lighter anyways and paint/powder them!

G
#10 ·
Re: (s4strati)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by s4strati »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'd guess that anodizing would work well on forged aluminum rims if you stripped the paint and polished them first. but anodizing fades after a relatively (compared to paint) short period of time so unless you want to repeat the proceedure relatively frequently, i'd go with paint or powder. or... go with mag rims cuz they're lighter anyways and paint/powder them!</TD></TR></TABLE>

(anodizing fades after a relatively (compared to paint) short period of time so unless you want to repeat the proceedure relatively frequently,)

i have a question or two for you strati. has this happened to a set of anodized rims or pieces of anodized aluminum you have or have owned? also how short is this ( short period of time ) and how frequently will this need to be done ( frequently repeated proceedure )?

i have some bits and pieces of aluminum that has been anodized on my bike along with a set of anodized rims, some is about four years old and as of yet i have not experienced this fading you say will happen to anodized parts. i think there is a qualifier here that has been over looked and that is if you take care of these anodized pieces, rims and what not by storing your bike in a garage or at the very least covering you bike from the elements, mostly the sun. by doing this you should not experience this rapid disintegration of the finish on your anodized pieces but this has only been my experience. the finish on my anodized aluminum pieces look as good as the day they were bought but i also keep my bike in a garage.

G
#11 ·
Re: (oneducs)

Aluminum anodizing is aluminum oxide which is the third hardest surface known, it just isn't very thick. The color is just dye that is added to the process for appearance only. Some dyes deal with UV better than others. The aluminum tubes on your forks are anodized from the factory and everyone pretty much takes it for granted they will hold up. I know they are anodized because years ago I took the forks off my 916, disassembled them, titanium nitrided the lower tubes and had the uppers anodized an Ohlins gold color.

G
#13 ·
Re: (Capt. Home Slice)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Capt. Home Slice »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The forged aluminium 10 spoke Marchesini's are anodized from the factory. They look dang good.</TD></TR></TABLE>

They're kind of a satin look. Very nice looking.

G
#14 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Capt. Home Slice »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The forged aluminium 10 spoke Marchesini's are anodized from the factory. They look dang good.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Jesse, they're also a fully machined forging, not a casting. It's the castings that are problematic for anodizing.

G
#17 ·

....anoniminititititity is great behind the screen, I myself like to be the quiet secretive one and not give out any info, Cheers Andi Delis

Hope dad doesn't find me out using his computer, he will take away my trike and allowance away....I only just got my barbi doll back

G
#20 ·
Re: (CaliDuc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CaliDuc »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You mean the blow-up one I sent to your P.O. Box?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeap that's it...the one with the teeth marks in it

G
#22 ·
Re: (Monstaman)

Anodizing will fade, some colors faster than others. It also depends on how well they are sealed after anodizing/dyeing in a chemical sealer. Some anodizers have sealed in steam or boiling water which does not "set" the dyes and they will fade very rapidly. Keep your anodized parts out of the sun as much as possible and fading shouldn't be much of a problem. If you leave your bike outside in the sun instead of a garage, forget it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.