Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Shane RC51
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cleaning out the garage, and I found this tank I had forgotten about. It's got a MASSIVE dent on top. Anyone want it? I don't know what to do with it besides throw it away. And before anyone asks, no it doesn't come with a fuel pump/cap. If no one replies in the next few days, it's going in the trash...

*oops - I meant to post this in the classifieds section. Can anyone move it over there?*

·
Shane RC51
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't know. The tank and a set of race bodywork came with the RC when I got it a few years ago. I think the previous owner had a bad get off at Texas World Speedway. The RC wasn't in bad shape, though...
:confused:

So, no one wants it? I guess I should just trash it? Any compelling reason not to???

·
Registered
240 Posts
Just needs a little filler, and a new range of 100mls before it runs out of petrol.....
Actually it can be mended quite good visually.

There are 2 methods we've used for tank repair:
1. For small dents blowing compressed air is sufficient.

2. For “bit” larger dents this will not be enough and the repair shop will weld a rod to the center of the dent and pull it out (so that you don't need to refill immediately when leaving the gas station).
Than some filler, sanding, painting etc'... => "like new"

The main disadvantage of latter is that in some case the internal anti rust coating of the metal is damaged and as you'll be introducing corroded metal into the fuel system.....
The main disadvantage of the former method is that, too much pressure and the original welding are compromised.

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
If it's been sitting in your garage that long, the gas fumes are gone by now. Same misconceptions that keep people from welding on tanks. It's funny that people actually believe that the gas will somehow get into the metal and stay flammable somehow? Made it easy for me to pick up a spare tank with a leaking seam for $30 (shipping only) a while back.

you should just pound it down all around for when you go stuntin' :woot:

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Actually it can be mended quite good visually.

There are 2 methods we've used for tank repair:
1. For small dents blowing compressed air is sufficient.

2. For “bit” larger dents this will not be enough and the repair shop will weld a rod to the center of the dent and pull it out (so that you don't need to refill immediately when leaving the gas station).
Than some filler, sanding, painting etc'... => "like new"

The main disadvantage of latter is that in some case the internal anti rust coating of the metal is damaged and as you'll be introducing corroded metal into the fuel system.....
The main disadvantage of the former method is that, too much pressure and the original welding are compromised.
I thought modern(ish) tanks were double skinned and thus you would only be pulling the dent out of the outer layer ... no rust, etc. thus will get into the fuel system.

Pete

·
Registered
45 Posts
could also try filling with water and freezing for a few days may take a few trimes.. not sure if it will work on a tank but it works in expansion chambers and you can rinse with rubbing alcohol.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
could also try filling with water and freezing for a few days may take a few trimes.. not sure if it will work on a tank but it works in expansion chambers and you can rinse with rubbing alcohol.
Believe that would be a liittle bit more than the seam welds can take. :)

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
If you're just going to toss it, why not try and take the dent out? Just plug the fuel pump hole and the vent/overflow and put some gas in there and toss a match in it. might work, or might just make a pretty burning RC tank :D

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
If you're just going to toss it, why not try and take the dent out? Just plug the fuel pump hole and the vent/overflow and put some gas in there and toss a match in it. might work, or might just make a pretty burning RC tank :D
FIRE FIRE FIRE he he heh

<beevis and butthead>

:clapper :D :clapper :D :woot:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts