1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
chimp on my shoulder
2,437 Posts
price seems a little high to me for what it takes to do it. you could get some 194 pigtails/bulbs, a couple pieces of pvc and some epoxy for prolly less than 10 bucks to do this mod. but if you're a one stop shopper kinda dude it might be the way to go. I didn't see a parts break down on that auction and there is prolly a reason why. it doesn't take much to do it.

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
You are still going to have to drill the headlights and splice (solder if you want to do it right) into the wiring. You might as well save $20 and head to the autoparts store and get some 194 sockets and bulbs. You could also source everything online.

I would advise against using those as your only turn signals. Spend some cash and pick up some quality ones like watsens or protons. I have protons and they rock, bright enough to see during the noon sun, unlike most cheap flush turn signals.

There are also a pair of greggs on sale in the classifieds right now. I can't speak to them myself, but people seem to like them.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've got Greggs, and I'm thinking of swapping them to Protons. My Greggs are a clear lens instead of the orange, and it almost seems like it oxidized from the sun or something because the blink color is more of a dull orange instead of a bright orange. I haven't seen any other Greggs in person to know if what I have is normal or just aged.

This mod kit on eBay looks cool, but I agree it may be more wise to have some type of blinker on the fairings. I have trouble discerning a blinking turn signal on some cars that have them integrated into the headlight. The headlight beam almost over powers the blinking amber.

·
Bemused
969 Posts
I agree with all the previous comments as far as those things not being the most visible signals, but... I never felt the front signals were important, actually I viewed them as more of a potential problem, ie. forgetting to turn them off and someone thinking you're turning when you're not. The rear signals are a different story, but I thought the fronts were a liability... Maybe it's a non-issue?

I had them, bought them from Scott (cbr400) and loved the look. Just used some mirror block-offs to cover the hole in the fairing where the OEM signals were.

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
HONDA RC51 99 01 02 03 04 05 06 EURO LED TURN SIGNALS: eBay Motors (item 250640210949 end time Jun-26-10 08:24:17 PDT)

I have been working for a week on making some rear signals and want to do away with the bulky front lights. Seen the spot above the headlights to put some but just found this kit to do it with. Thoughts and advise anyone???
HOOVY
I have them they are OK. Not the most visual but at least the cops cannot say I do not have any. I got mine from Scott (CBR400). The install was very easy. Because I left the housing on the bike, I had to do most of the drilling with my hands (no drill). I took the wires off the old signals and splice them onto these. This kept my stock wire harness stock. I used Heat shrink butt connectors with built in solder.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Blinkers are gonna help them see us?:confused:
Point is...you want EVERY advantage , no matter how small and insignificant it may be...at least that's what common sense dictates .

I'm very impressed with those of you who would choose form over function...:rolleyes:

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
If I wanted every advantage, I would be in my truck with a few thousand pounds of steel surrounding me. I suppose if I were to take every advantage and still ride I would be wear head to toe dayglow yellow gear and helmet, all sorts of aux riding lights, flashing helmet lights, secondary turn signals, strobing brake lights and reflective tape everywhere. I'd look like a friggin' neon disco ball on wheels. F that.

There is a sliding scale of Form vs. Function, everyone has their own opinion of what is reasonable. There is no need to berate anyone over their choice.

·
Bemused
969 Posts
You're right, I believe turn signal's ability to improve our visibility to other cars is INSIGNIFICANT. And my common sense tells me an errant signal's danger far outweighs the INSIGNIFICANT increase in visibility on the street they provide. Again, we're talking front signals only now.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow

I really need to do a little more searching before I open another can of worms! :rolleyes: I guess I should have added the fact that I am planning on doing the signal mirrors too I just wanted to do away with the old fashioned side signals and thought these looked pretty cool. I just finished making my own tail signal lights from LED marker lights. Not real satisfied with them.

As for Scott (cbr400) what is up with his site? Everybody talks about buying stuff from him??? HOW??? His site keeps going to some crazy zen cart thing when you click on the shopping or store link. How are you guys buying stuff??? I contacted him by email and didn't get much of an answer. I was looking for several carbon parts and the underhung brake kit. No price just a very short undetailed response. So I sent another email and got nothing???
Everybody BASHES MRGRN but I am getting no response from this guy or the guy from Japan (simonkobe) either. Seems like I'm not in the click or something??? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

But anyway thanks to all for their advise and help. This site has been a huge halp to me since I got my bike and even before while I was sick. Lots of good reading and info! RIDE SAFE !:rockon HOOVY

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
Last I heard was that his site was hacked by someone, and they stole money by routing it to another paypal account or something like that. So he is probably setting up another shop online. He does have a brick and mortar store, but I am not sure of the phone number.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
Last I heard was that his site was hacked by someone, and they stole money by routing it to another paypal account or something like that. So he is probably setting up another shop online. He does have a brick and mortar store, but I am not sure of the phone number.

Last time I spoke with Scott he was going through some serious life issues and I wish him the best.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've got Greggs, and I'm thinking of swapping them to Protons. My Greggs are a clear lens instead of the orange, and it almost seems like it oxidized from the sun or something because the blink color is more of a dull orange instead of a bright orange. I haven't seen any other Greggs in person to know if what I have is normal or just aged.
I have Greggs on my RC and my and my wifes CBRs. They do have an orange bulb in them. Them seem to be bright enough for me and oncoming traffic. It is a dullish orange blink on the RC. Maybe there's a 2nd generation thats better. The Greggs on our CBRs are a little brighter. They're have more of a clear lens than the frosted ones on my RC.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I installed the protons and have been told more than they are too bright. However I like them. my:twocents

1 - 20 of 27 Posts