Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone who went to the swap meet at Mid-Ohio last weekend probably saw that there was a place selling old inventory from Cannondale. One of the things they were selling were Ohlins rears shocks, for $40. Brand new, never mounted, with spring. (They're already showing up on eBay by the way).

So here's my question. They are (obviously) intended for the Cannondale bike, and are longer than the shocks on, say, a 996. Rough estimate is they are about 2 inches longer, eye to eye, than a 916 shock. But, they have a rubber bumper on them that is pretty long too.

So what I'm wondering is, can they be rebuilt to include a shorter shaft and bumper, then used on a streetbike? I'd like to put one on my 907 since that bike is in need of some TLC.

If not, I'll either save it for a Supermotard project or sell it on eBay after the intial swarm of them have been sold...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Any Ohlins experts here??? (DesmoDog)

i'm pretty much going to have to say that is a full on dream
there is entirely know way but hey

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Any Ohlins experts here??? (throttlehead)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by throttlehead »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm pretty much going to have to say that is a full on dream
there is entirely know way but hey
</TD></TR></TABLE>

What part is a full on dream? That a shock can be rebuilt with a shorter rod in it??? Doesn't seem like rocket science to me... and I find it hard to believe they'd cast a new body for each model/length shock they build.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Call Clayton @ cyclezoo.com

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Any Ohlins experts here??? (brettmess24)

Sounds like a full on dream to me too. This was a shock built for a 30 pound bike to be ridden a very slow speeds over very rough terrain. You want to put it in a 400 pound motorcycle ridden at fairly high speeds over very smooth terrain. A simple rod length change isn't going to address the fact that it was never designed to suspend or dampen anything as heavy as what you're proposing. Like throttle head said, sounds like a full on dream.

But hey, if you think it'll work, follow through and see what others say. I've been wrong before.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
maybe the bottom eylet can be used.. It will most likely be very expensive, more expensive than buying a new shock..

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

In theory, I would think that if the shocks they were selling were Type 46P's (or even Type 46H's), you could get them to change the length, spring, and shim stack for your bike/riding. I mean, they are custom buildable. However, I gotta believe that the cost of those parts and labor would be approaching if not the same/more as getting the recommended Type 46P shock for your bike.

BTW,, they're selling for a bit more that $40 on ebay. At the prices they are now being sold at, I'd say get a new one.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Any Ohlins experts here??? (cakake)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cakake »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds like a full on dream to me too. This was a shock built for a 30 pound bike to be ridden a very slow speeds over very rough terrain. You want to put it in a 400 pound motorcycle ridden at fairly high speeds over very smooth terrain. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ooohhh.... I see the confusion.

For those who don't know, Cannondale built off road motorcycles for a few years. It is a motorcycle shock.

Here's a link to one on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...%3AIT

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Any Ohlins experts here??? (edwyun)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by edwyun »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">BTW,, they're selling for a bit more that $40 on ebay. At the prices they are now being sold at, I'd say get a new one.</TD></TR></TABLE>

But I've already got four of them on my bench, with a total investment of less than any I've seen on ebay!

Three of the shocks are spoken for - two to friends with dirtbikes, one for me to screw with to see what else it might work on. The 4th is to sell at a later date to recoup some of the cost. Or use on another project. I've been threatening to buy a dirtbike too after all.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Email Section 8

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Any Ohlins experts here??? (Sagerider)

hmmmmm as well as the length being an issue, which is possible to change, the damping rates would need to re-adjusted, Ducs use a 2-1 base damping rate, its probably too exprensive to change unless you can do it yourself.
i had similar thoughts and a buddy of mine who was the chassis developemnt dude for foggy-petronas said forget it, the cost and time make it a no go when off the shelf stuff exists.

chris

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Any Ohlins experts here??? (chris900ssie)

Def no fit. With all that was selling at the Mid-Ohio swap meet you could have triend and failed for $15.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts