Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Any Alaska Riders (midnightsun51)

I know where Alaska is, does that count!?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow there is another Ak rider here. And here I thought I was the only one.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (MPower)

Hey M,

Whadda ya ride? Good to see someone else from AK on the board
....I'm me, and we'll see about hooking up to ride this summer....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (midnightsun51)

Well, I will be riding a 04 Ducati 998s FE. It will be in the next 3 weeks. Can't wait to test this bike.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Bob, thanks for letting me know about this thread. And a big hello to MPower Jeff. Bob thought I should know about another Duc sbk comin to town. Congrats on the FE! I haven't met the guy with the other one yet. He just got it last fall. I have a pretty trick 996 and a nice S4R. I just joined this place and have been spending a LOT of time at ducatimonster.org and ducati.ms. I'm curious about how you came to have your FE. Have you been in Anch for long? I'm one of the regulars at Taco Bell on N Lights Fri and Sat nights in the summer with obout 20-30 other sportbikes. Do you know about the Alaska Sport Bike Riders party Fri the 15 at the Carousel Lounge? Hopefully there'll be some pretty girls there as they're having a "Best Bottom Contest" with $500 cash give away! Do you know any girls who ride? Feel free to introduce me!LOL Anyway, looking foward to ridin and chattin more with you. MH

Modified by akduc at 12:42 PM 4/7/2005

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (akduc)

Welcome to the board Mark....Good to finally see you here.....

Bob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

That guy your talking about with the FE. His name is Nathan and he is military. I talked to him when he first got his bike. What mods do you have on your 996?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

The list is long. Because I'm on my 3rd warranty engine Ducati and the local shops have tried to compensate for my troubles with mods and deals on parts. I also love to socialize and haggle so I've gotten some good deals from Seattle Ducati and Motocorsa in Portland. Besides having a lightened and balanced crank, cf intake and airbox mod with high flow filter, FBF cf slip-ons, my biggest change are the Dymag cf/mag wheels with wave rotors. Huge difference there. My brother has my old 748 and when we go ride together we can swap bikes and notice a tremendous difference. We both also have Heli bars that are a couple inches higher and wider than stock and very comfortable. And of couse we've also geared our bikes down. Are you familiar with comon mods for our bikes and do you plan on any? I remember a shop owner joking around with me years ago about how doing mods can be almost neverending. I laughed and replied that I really didn't need to do anything else after the slip-ons and bars. Haha Guess it's not all about needs is it? Before I got the S4R in Dec. I was still looking for stuff to do and went with the 520 conversion and a RCS titanium shock spring on the rear Ohlins. See ya, MH

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Exhaust, be it slip-ons or full. Intake- now believe Pipercross inline to be a better choice. Front or rear sprocket for lower gearing. Engine control chip or Dynojet Power Commander III. Rear fender eliminater with license relocator. Hmmm, what am I leaving out? That's enough for starters. Ya hoo, MH

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
While the bike was down there I did have them install the turn signal brake light intergrator and license plate relocator.

As for engine mods I got the upgrade kit with the R Cams and R ecu with a titanium half sytem. And I also got Pistal High Comp Pistons with a compression of 12.8:1. Oh and I forgot the dealer through in the CF oil breather box with the reed valves and stuff. So hopefully this bike will be everything I want it to be.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by akduc »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Exhaust, be it slip-ons or full. Intake- now believe Pipercross inline to be a better choice. Front or rear sprocket for lower gearing. Engine control chip or Dynojet Power Commander III. Rear fender eliminater with license relocator. Hmmm, what am I leaving out? That's enough for starters. Ya hoo, MH</TD></TR></TABLE>

About half the bling that you have on that 996
I just looked at my last two christmas cards to verify
M - It sounds like the 998 will be killer, can't wait to see it. Mark - Did I tell you I've got the Satos and a lot of other goodies en route for the RC51? It's going to be bad

Good to see some Alaskan action here on the board...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Wow Jeff, I'm impressed. That'll be one of the raddest bikes up here. Have you been ridden sportbikes for awhile? Have you ridden Hatchers Pass? I think it's the best road in AK! The old Glenn just got repaved last year and should be fun too. And this year they're repaving the road into Hope. How'd you get intersted in Ducs? You know there's only one 4v head mech in town right now, Mike Lavalle at the MC Shop. Except of corse Tom at the Harley shop who also owns a 996. I don't think they're letting him work on our bikes yet tho, are they Bob. Hey Bob- I'm really glad to hear that stuff is actually on the way! I was afraid you'ld sell this bike before you even fixed it up and rode it. You do seem to go thru a few. You think you'll get the Aprilia? Scott with the MV called this eve and said a few of them were actually gonna meet at TB tonight! Still a little chilly for hangin out and it was sprinkling a little when I left work. See ya, MH

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had a R6 and a R1 for several years. I wouldn't say I'm an expert. I've never ridden up Hather Pass, but a few people have said its a good ride. Looks like I will have to ride up to Hope.

I've always wanted the 916 Superbike. I remember the first magazine I saw the bike in back in 94, I just feel in Love. That was the bike I wanted and finally after 11 years I got it. I've never driven a 2 cyclinder before I'm kinda curious how it is compared to 4's.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by akduc »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> And this year they're repaving the road into Hope. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Those potholes on that road almost killed me on the Buell last year...The last one I hit had rocks in it and caused a rear tire blowout at about 80 mph. The bike slid pretty fierce in the next two corners, with the back end shaking pretty fiercely!!!! No cell coverage out there.....1am....Black Bears in the pullout where I stopped the bike
I will definitely wait for the repaving on that one, before I go out there on one of the sportbikes again. The H-D should have tough enough tires, but the road is definitely more fun on something light and nimble.
Mark - I'm still looking for the loophole on titling, should know in the next couple of days on the RS....MPower - Mang, once you've had twins, there's no going back

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Yea, I hit the worst bump ever in my life while riding the 996 out from Hope a few years ago and haven't gone back since! Jeff, I sure hope you can embrace being Ducatisti. I have a friend that owned Japanese sport bikes and really wanted a Duc but once he had it he came to realize ownership was a little more involved and expensive than his "put gas in it and go" bikes he'd had before. True he did have some bad luck but it caused him to trade it in on a Busa which he's now very happy with. His old bike is the one that Tom the tuner at the Harley shop now owns. My brother and I both LOVE our bikes. Your engine is supposed to be quite a bit better than ours too. I curious about how you chose R cams and high comp pistons. I think it's great that your already doin stuff to it and I hope you're really happy with it. I'd like to talk more by phone or in person about your bike and hopefully we can ride together this summer. Are you into MotoGP, World SBK, or AMA SBK? 11am Sun MotoGP! Ya hoo. Hey we had our 1st little Taco Bell gathering tonight! Me and the Monster, Scott on his MV, Mike on his RSV Mille, and about 6 other guys showed up and bs'd for a couple hrs. A good time was had by all. See ya, MH

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

The only reason I got the upgrade kit with cams and stuff was my salesman (Ed at Commonwealth) threw them in with the bike for 20K. And he threw in the CF breather box and the valves in. I just decided to get the piston at the same time because I talked to the dealership here and they told me they dont do that kinda stuff for ducatis. I want somebody fully capable to install them, you know peice of mind. I paid 22,671 for my bike and thats including shipping. The shipping only takes 5-7 bussiness days and the bikes in Kentucky. If you need any parts talk to Ed at Commonwealth, by far the best salesman I've ever dealt with.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by akduc »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Jeff, I sure hope you can embrace being Ducatisti. I have a friend that owned Japanese sport bikes and really wanted a Duc but once he had it he came to realize ownership was a little more involved and expensive than his "put gas in it and go" bikes he'd had before. True he did have some bad luck but it caused him to trade it in on a Busa which he's now very happy with. His old bike is the one that Tom the tuner at the Harley shop now owns. My brother and I both LOVE our bikes.........Hey we had our 1st little Taco Bell gathering tonight! Me and the Monster, Scott on his MV, Mike on his RSV Mille, and about 6 other guys showed up and bs'd for a couple hrs. A good time was had by all. See ya, MH</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey Jeff - Don't fall prey to the pasta eating poseur disease....Ride that bike....That's what it's made for

Sorry Mark - Just had to give hell about the Ducatisti comment. You know me...Equal opportunity motorcycle enthusiast....Saw so many bikes out today I could cry....Gonna start getting my bikes out on the road in the next couple days...I would like to do a ride with you, Aprilia Mike, and MV Scott soon...Ran into them this afternoon and chatted with them about it.....Give a call at the shop or stop by soon

Bob

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.