Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last time at the local shop they've presented me with this anti puncturing protection:
http://www.rhinotire.com/

It's applied as a fluid on the contact patch area of the tire, than the tire is mounted and balanced over the rim.

They claim 300 gr is nothing in unsprung weight and that the additional moment of inertia is negligible for street ride.

I’m still pessimistic about it, what do you think?
Does someone have experience with this?

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Back when I was still hanging about Kawasaki forums there were monthly debates about this and similar products.
Some riders swore it was the best thing since heated grips, other hated the thing to the guts. But I've never ever read somebody writing "I got a nail in my tyre and this thing allowed me to ride home". That would have settled the matter once and for all.

·
Banned
472 Posts
Plunge the entire rim and tire inside a tub of water. If I don't see any airbubbles, then I'll be a believer.

Until then, this goop just takes a fast leak and makes it a slow(er) one which may actually be more dangerous.

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
It's a neat idea, but unless it comes with a 100%, no questions asked, free removal and install of a replacement when it fails, no thanks.

I think that the kinds of people who would be willing to run tires with this stuff after a puncture, are also willing to run with a much less expensive patch or plug.

I fail to see how it will help improve handling and gas milage by adding weight.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a neat idea, but unless it comes with a 100%, no questions asked, free removal and install of a replacement when it fails, no thanks.
Actually I think they do offer that, but who wants a product that is not
100% proven.

I think that the kinds of people who would be willing to run tires with this stuff after a puncture, are also willing to run with a much less expensive patch or plug.
A puncture repaired by a mushroom (not sure a patch is safe) creates additional damage to the tire circumference metal belts.

I fail to see how it will help improve handling and gas milage by adding weight.
I don't see that happening either.
IMO the weight in neglegible in this respect but the tire will be stiffer.
But than how will a stiffer tire improve fuel economy or handling?
not sure on that.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Better yet you could fill your tires with foam like my wheelbarrow.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
A puncture repaired by a mushroom (not sure a patch is safe) creates additional damage to the tire circumference metal belts.
I just don't see that much more damage happening to the belts after I've pulled a screw out of my tire.

I would trust a mushroom plug or the goopy thread type, over some sprayed in stuff any day of the week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts