Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Currently: Moderating
12,576 Posts
If you ride on the street, it's only a matter of time when this is going to happen to you. Just don't be surprised when it does and count your blessings while you've successfully avoided it.:rockon

RIP rider!:eek:

·
V4 CyclePath...
6,827 Posts
I'm reminded that cagers don't cause accidents... they only cause
emergencies... it's up to the rider to avoid the accident... every
vehicle I face in a left turn lane... I'm facing my death...

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
If you ride on the street, it's only a matter of time when this is going to happen to you. Just don't be surprised when it does and count your blessings while you've successfully avoided it.:rockon

RIP rider!:eek:
+10000

It is only a matter of time, and hopefully it will only be a close call when the time comes!

·
Dr. Carbon
2,974 Posts
so nobody thinks it may be an appropriate course of action to tighten licensing and relicencing standards:confused: .... right..... because of the fact that we realize the risks involved with our activities complacency and lenience is acceptable?

·
12,576 Posts
so nobody thinks it may be an appropriate course of action to tighten licensing and relicencing standards:confused: .... right..... because of the fact that we realize the risks involved with our activities complacency and lenience is acceptable?
Mistakes happen! Unattentive people know no age limits! Just ride like everyone is out to kill you and you'll be just fine. Otherwise, park your bike in the garage cuz you'll never win vs an SUV. :eek:

They have tighter limits in the UK if you wanna go there and enjoy them.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Mistakes happen! Unattentive people know no age limits! Just ride like everyone is out to kill you and you'll be just fine. Otherwise, park your bike in the garage cuz you'll never win vs an SUV. :eek:

+1.

Remember we chose to ride the m/c, and no matter how good the training mistakes will still happen.

Ride safe.
Pete

·
12,576 Posts
We bitch and cry everytime a car hits a biker and it gets all sensationalized by the media orgy, but how many times has a rider slid into an oncoming car on the Dragon or somewhere else due to their OWN stupidity or just plain running out of talent? U think someone driving a car wanted to have some guy off himself into their car and have to live with that thought the rest of their lives? It goes both ways, but the one side gets all sensationalized and the other side he just gets called a squid who offed himself.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Both of my accidents have been from a car turning in front of me.
First time:
An 80 year old woman in a little Nissan something. 4 lane road (2 in each direction). I was in the far right, moving slowly up the lane. The woman turned when the left lane was clear. I had three options, go left into the cars next to me, right into the wall, or straight into the car. I went straight, hit her, went flying about 30 more feet. Arai helmet and Vanson jacket saved my butt.

Second time:
A teen in his Surburban XL giant thing just didn't see me. I turned onto the road, went under 100 yards, when he decided to turn into the Subway. Got the bike down to about 10 when i hit him, nice front wheel skid mark. I collided, and "rolled" down the side of the suburban. Took out his side mirror with my neck. I now have a nice 2 inch scar on the side of my neck, right between the collar of my jacket, and the bottom of my helmet

I'm lucky.

·
12,576 Posts
I'm lucky.
Hell yeah u are!

Let me ask you though, what were the first things you said to both drivers and what were the first things they said to you other than "OMG, I didn't even see you!".:confused: Just curious what went down after they put u on the ground.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I didn't talk to any of them. I was knocked out for a minute or so both times. In my first one, I came to, and first thing through my head was "I'm laying in the middle of the road, must get off" and starting to crawl, only to be grabbed and told not to move, and then EMS showed up and off to the hospital, being told not to move some more by paramedics, as i kept trying to look around the ambulance at everything. I just heard from the people afterwards, the old lady was distraught, and just told to go home.

The second time, it turns out it was the son of a friend of my mom's from way back when. My mom ran into her at the grocery store about a week later actually. She told my mom, that her son felt horrible, and wanted to go to the hospital right away, and make sure i was okay and everything like that. I have no hard feelings towards him. Was an accident, and I just hope he learned to check twice in the future.

First accident i limped away with a bruised rib and a sore thigh. Happened on a Wednesday on my way home from school. Friday, i was back in school. Second one, a cut on my neck, and some general soreness. Both times, vanson jacket and arai helmet. In the first one, i landed on my back/shoulders, and hit my head pretty hard, back of the helmet is all scuffed up. Second time, I face planted down the asphalt. I cringe every time i see a guy zipping in and out of traffic in shorts, flip flops, tanktop, with his helmet on the back seat.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
You are kidding aren't you.:eek: We have some right myopic drivers on our roads that can hardly walk and see past the steering wheel. One of the reasons I gave up the road bikes was I got to the stage that getting home to my family was more important than riding.
Although it pains me to agree with everything else you've said in the thread.:)

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Chaps, chaps.
Every small town in the world has its fair share of drunken/myopic/arrogant/whatever drivers and riders. Just look at stunts some people pull in front of huge lorries, which cannot be ruled away with the usual "I didn't see that coming" or "it's just a bike". :banghead

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
I agree with part of what is being said; you ride on the street it will happen... But we've got to do something about distracted drviers and people who simply cannot handle a vehicle anymore. Having lived in other countries the licensing and to renew your license; especially when you get older is extremely difficult not to mention very expensive. Granted we can go on and on and say how driver is a need here due to a lack of mass transit, etc, etc.

Just last week I got a ticket due to a distracted driver. I was in the far left lane up against the wall (no shoulder, wonderful MN road construction). I'm in my car and my 7 year old is in the back seat. I have a big rig 18 wheeler RIGHT on my ass and a lady talking on her cell phone playing with her tomtom merging right into me. I can't slow down, I'm arleady at or about the speed limit, I have no escape route but to stomp on the gas and make a opening (which I did). Not only did the 18 wheel lock up and blow its air horn the lady flips me off. This all happen in front of one of Minnesota FINEST officers and he pulls me over and writes me up for about the limit. I said to him you saw the whole thing and you tag me and his only reply was "The gun has a camera now, I have your plate, I have to write you the ticket. You should have let them smash you up to avoid the ticket". What kind of logic is this? I have my kid in the car! My friend lost his 7 year old due to a accident of a similar nature. I car less about the damn car... Can you say I went right to the court house and ask for a trial? Yes I know my odds are 99% against me but old judge and grandkids usually can get a little pitty.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I rarely ride on the street anymore. Where I live (Washington DC metro area), I feel like I am taking my life in my hands every time that I venture out, especially on the bike, but also in any vehicle.

I have learned to constantly watch the driver...not necessarly the vehicle. I'm sure most of you can relate, but just a little bit of what I've seen around here:

People texting while driving, too many times to count. Typically they are absolutely not situationally aware, driving too slow, lane wandring, etc.

People reading while driving. Could be a PDA, newspaper, map directions, etc.

People fiddling with their GPS, trying to type something while driving.

People talking non-hands free on a cell phone or PDA. My favorite is holding the device in the right hand while you press it against your left ear (or vice versa).

People with an unsecured pet (typically a froo froo dog) riding between them and the steering wheel, just waiting for it/them to be killed by the air bag when it deploys.

Women applying makeup, guys shaving, while driving.

People eating while driving. My favorite was a guy with a bowl of soup...I'm not kidding.

People who see the red Ducati (not really realizing what it is, just that it is red = must go fast), that must pass me, swerve, gawk, or otherwise show me that they can win an Interstate "race" to the next mile marker...something that I won't do.

Street squids that need to do a standup wheelie because they see me on my bike, and have to demonstrate their "mad skilz".

People driving with headphones or ear buds, who can't hear anything other than music. No other vehicles, including emergency vehicles, dare intrude upon their listening enjoyment.

And then there is the guy who was playing the guitar, with the neck stuck out the driver's window, while he was steering with his knee. Very talented.

Some bicyclists riding against traffic on the roadway, sometimes with ear buds, when there is a perfectly good sidewalk right next to them, and every corner curb has a ramp due to handicap regulations. Sometimes they look at me as if "I dare you to hit me."

And of course, the red light runners (sometimes by quite a large margin), the right turn without stopping at the red light folks, the "I'm going to merge without looking, everyone else dive for cover" people, etc., etc., etc.

OK...I feel better now.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have lost two dear friends, both due to motorcycle accidents and both times the driver of the car was at fault.
In one friend's case, he was T-boned by a stop sign runner in front of his girlfriend who was on another bike and was able to save herself.

I understand that we are the ones deciding to ride on street and its our risk. But I wonder what woudl happen if majority of car fatalities were due to Motorcycle riders, wouldn't the Law intervine, wouldn't they try to educate/train riders better.
As it is now, a vast majority of motorcycle fatalities happen due to car/truck driver's fault.
That is unacceptable.

As far as this specific accident goes, it was drizzling and I am sure the rider had no chance to take evasive action.

·
V4 CyclePath...
6,827 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts