Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...... on the side of the road over the weekend. (fuel light or sending unit puked so I ran out of go juice. I screwed up, OK?).

First, whenever I'm riding (or driving, for that matter), if I see a bike that appears to have trouble, I at least slow up to see if I can get a thumbs up that all is OK. If I see that they are already talking on the phone, I will usually move on with the understanding that they probably have things in hand. It makes no difference whether it's a Harley, sportbike or whatever. I figure it's a biker in need so why not see if help is needed.

As I sat on the side of the road (on a bridge 100 ft. in the air, actually) trying to calculate my situation and before I got on my own cell, I counted three Harley's go by without even a glance in my direction.

Now, in the end I try to take care of my own problems, so even if one of those guys pulled over to offer assistance I would have thanked him sincerely and sent him on his way. Maybe if I spaced out and forgot my cell, an offer of the use of a phone might have come in handy.

Without making any blanket generalizations about Harley riders, which would be unfair based on a single occurance, I still found it interesting.

Next time I see a stranded Harley, know what I'll do? I'll make damn sure I do whatever I can to see if any help is needed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's also most helpful to have a large number of biking buddies in your area.....I went out for a Sunday spin last year and had a flat fifteen miles from home....what to do, what to do....called up one of my buds who promptly deposited wife and children at home after church and came with his trailer to get me and take me home. No substitute for buds in this world.
Ran out of gas, did ya? Wanker.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Another observation after being stranded .... (JamesP)

I always stop for a standard brother no matter what type of ride it is.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (roadkill)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by roadkill »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ran out of gas, did ya? Wanker.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Tell me about it. Not much stupider than sputtering, coughing and coasting to a stop.

In my never ending (but usually fruitless) search for someone else to blame, I come up with nothing yet again.

My options are to either get the sending unit fixed, or ride around with a 5 gallon gas can strapped to my back. I'll keep you posted on which one I go with .....

Good advice about having a pack of buds on standby. My bro, who I was riding with at the time, got about a mile up the road before he realized something went south. His response when I called him up on my cell? "Well, get pushing the bitch!".

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (roadkill)

Took my MV out about a month ago and the alternator went belly up. First friend I called was in the middle of a softball game......Second friend, who rides an R1 dropped what he was doing, got his trailer and took me home. Needless to say, I spent last Sunday moving dirt around his yard and lifting 67lb concrete pavers to build a retaining wall. But that's what friends are for......

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (JamesP)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JamesP »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Tell me about it. Not much stupider than sputtering, coughing and coasting to a stop.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Know the feeling. had it happen to myself. nothing wrong with the gas dummy light, just miscalculated the mileage. Never been really good at math.
Good thing I was close to a freeway exit (less than a mile). So, i just pushed it to a gas station. Damn that was hard. Nobody really stop to help. Didn't really care at the time but stopping and asking a fellow biker would be a neighborly thing to do. JMO.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (dukegar)

Ya, I threw myself down the road at about 60 mph, came to a sliding stop in front of

a cop, one that was already lookin to get me. ooops. The Duc (atom tan) came and got

me. schweet. It was the day after my first track day, forgot Lic. plate, headlight,

taillight, speedo, etc. hehe.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (svmango)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by svmango »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ya, I threw myself down the road at about 60 mph, </TD></TR></TABLE>

but you were doin' it for the chicks man....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (JamesP)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JamesP »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Not much stupider than sputtering, coughing and coasting to a stop.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, there's one thing...

I've told this story here before, but it's worth repeating. We spotted this guy with a brand new Sportster - that's right, a Harley - on the side of the Interstate in the middle of the desert. We stopped to help, and basically, after working on a number of ideas, it turned out he hit his kill switch button while changing lanes, and he didn't think to try the switch.

Anyway, as far as the guys who passed you by, it's possible since you were on a bridge, maybe they thought you had just stopped to take pictures or something.

I've had Harley riders stop to ask if I needed help at times, and one time a group of them helped me load my freshly crashed bike into their truck, and they drove me about 80 miles back to town...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

This is the reason I'm glad I have dual tripmeters, meter 1 gets reset at every fillup and meter 2 gets reset each new day I ride. That way I don't have to count on the idiot light to tell me when to stop.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Another observation after being stranded .... (Latebraker)

Always reset mines when I fill-up. Reserve will usually kick in around 120ish miles, then you have about 25m to find a gas station before it goes up dry.

I have stopped to assist another many times, regardless of brand. Also, whether the unfortunate may be on cell phone or seem to have the situation under control- still is a good idea to stop. You just never know.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (AZ Scott)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AZ Scott »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

it turned out he hit his kill switch button while changing lanes, and he didn't think to try the switch.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I stand corrected.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AZ Scott »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Anyway, as far as the guys who passed you by, it's possible since you were on a bridge, maybe they thought you had just stopped to take pictures or something.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This bridge spanned a train yard, and I didn't see too much down there that would qualify for a Kodak moment.
I'm just kidding, and your point is well taken. I'm sure there are many valid reasons why someone would decide not to pull over and help, not the least of which is that it was actually a bit hairy. They don't put too much extra room for the shoulder when it's a bridge, and with semi's going 80mph about 6 ft. away, one stranded biker is probably one too many. Start adding a bike or two that pull over to help and you might actually be creating a hazard.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
last year I was hit by a state trooper and the guy who insisted on helping me get my bike ridable to get home was a Harley dude and he eventully got it ridable after much effort...best thing was he didint know who hit me so the whole time he was working he was cursing the guy who hit me, meanwhile it was the trooper standing behind us. LOL

About Harley kill switches...while renting HD out in vegas and in the middle of the desert after a site stop...i goto start the bike and with no nutral switch the bike lurched hard after one try. Next try, nothing! I eventually realized, and it happened more times later, when the bike lurches your hand hits the kill switch.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I've stopped to help out a Harley or two. I love pulling up on a Honda when a polished turd is broken down. It's very satisfying. I always keep a cell phone in the back of the bike, but have only needed it for other people (so far).

Last time I stopped, a young, very hot blonde was sitting on her Sportster on the side of the road. I pulled a quick Uey, and asked if everything was ok. Then I noticed her bike was running.
"I'm waiting for my husband." She nodded in the opposite direction. I looked up to see the phukin' meanest looking bastard in the world coming down the road on a Texas Chopper.

Needless to say, I wished her luck and took off. I gotta tell ya, I was hurt when the guy didn't wave back as I drove by.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Another observation after being stranded .... (drthompson65)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drthompson65 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I always stop for a standard brother no matter what type of ride it is.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm with you. I've helped many folks over the years.

When I've been on the side of the road, some times it seems every rider will stop and other times it seems nobody stops.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Another observation after being stranded .... (MATTinMN)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MATTinMN »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm with you. I've helped many folks over the years.

When I've been on the side of the road, some times it seems every rider will stop and other times it seems nobody stops. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Guess it's that Minnesota Nice thing.. :) I remember the first week when I moved out to San Franciso I was on Hwy 580 just past the Castro exit when I stopped to help a guy with a flat tire. As I stopped and got out this guy freaked, jumped in his car and called the cops. When the Chipper finally showed up I explained I was stopping to help the guy (I still had MN plates on my car) which is what we do in MN. The chipper explained to me that in CA it wasn't the best idea to do that and I might end up dead the next time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I once stopped to offer help to a Harley rider broke down on the side of the interstate, offered him my cell phone, damn loser would not even say thank you after he made a call, wouldn't even talk to me, I was on a sportbike at the time go figure.

I don't even think of stopping now because of one bad apple in the bushel.

I did stop and offer help to a kid the other day while out on my DRZ400 who had crashed his 4-wheeler on a steep grade while out on the trail. He seemed okay but mumbled something about pushing the 600 pound beast to the top of the hill. I declined to help him do that seemd pointless to me maybe he hit his head in the get-off. Anyway I fired up the DRZ and cruised on when his buddies finally showed up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Another observation after being stranded .... (BALLS)

I had the same damn problem w/ the fuel sender/idiot light/POS.

My bike came out of the crate w/ a broken fuel relay so the idiot light never came on; so I'm on my to work and on the interstate when the bike starts to studder and slow down and of course, the exit I get off, has no gas station for miles. And, I had forgotten my cell phone at home!

After pushing my bike for what felt like an eternity, looking for a gas station, I find a hotel - no gas stations around but hotels a plenty.

Anyway, I go inside, call AAA and tell them I've run out, they say they'll send a truck within 30 minutes.

So while I'm waiting, I have at least three guys on sportbikes pass me without so much as a look.

That really bummed me out - the least you could do is stop and ask.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts