Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am a long-time member and already used the search engine (as well as just about every other internet source, so i have some ideas but just want soem opinions. So with that out of the way :) here is what happened to my trusty, non-abused 2000 RC51 with just 9K miles on it.

Ran fine last week. Never gave me any trouble in the past. This weekend I go to start it and lights, gauges come on as usual when ignition is on, and I am hitting the run switch, but NO FUEL PUMP PRIME. First I think the fuel pump just crapped out, but very odd to give no warning signs whatsoever and after the bike simply sitting in the garage for a week--no trauma, etc.

Do you think I have bad ECU based on these issues:

Checked fuel cut and bank angle sensor relays. At first both "clicked" when run switch was cycled on and off. Still no pump though.

Have not hooked pump directly to a 12V source, so I can't eliminate it as simply a failed part.

However, looked at all wires, can find no visibly broken grounds, other wires, etc. Fuel pump connector looks not to be pinched, etc. Have not torn into the harness though.

All fuses are good in fuse box and battery cover. No breaks in fuses.

All battery hook ups are tight. Grounds to frame are tight.

After a while of switching bike on an off, and an attempt to jumper the fuel cut relay, the fuel cut relay at that point stopped clicking on/off. The bank angle relay still does click though.

I switched/swapped relays between headlight/BAS sensor and whatever relay is put into the fuel cut sensor location will not click, so I assume that relay is no longer getting juice to open/close for whatever reason.

Don't think the kill switch is the culprit since it seems to send power to the BAS relay which still clicks.

I am thinking maybe the ECU is bad and not sending a signal to the fuel cut relay, but my understanding of anything electrical on a bike sucks. I admit to have no understanding of the magic of testing continuity, voltage etc.

Could very well be the pump but again, in my experience they usually give you a sign first.

The only thing I did lately was put a Hotbodies undertail on. The bike has been running fine though. Maybe over time the vibration from the the ECU sitting in the tail (although well secured) killed it? I can't imagine turn signal and brake wiring for an undertail could affect pump operation.

looked at ECU, and see no visible broken pins, wires, etc. I ordered a used ECU off ebay for $150 to see if that is it. THESE THINGS ARE $600 NEW!

Thanks

Sorry for the long post, but does anyone have any advice?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Damn brotha! That sucks. I had similiar issues a few summers ago. Did you test the relay outsidee of the bike. I would start there. I swapped mine between headlights and fuel pump and bike worked so I rode for a week without lights while relay was on order. All you can do is get a manual and do all test from one section of bike at a time. Slow but sure. I work at a honda dealership in sales. I am no tech either but can hold my own by asking a lot of questions and doing little tests and I got it. Another time my ground wire pulled out on bottom of tank. Also I had a wiring issue and main connector was smashed a little with all those pins. It was complex with many problems but I made that trash work as was slow but sure. You will get it! Electical not my friend either. I would also hook up pump direct. All those tests will tell you stuff and will make up the big picture. Hope this helps???
Hey all,

I am a long-time member and already used the search engine (as well as just about every other internet source, so i have some ideas but just want soem opinions. So with that out of the way :) here is what happened to my trusty, non-abused 2000 RC51 with just 9K miles on it.

Ran fine last week. Never gave me any trouble in the past. This weekend I go to start it and lights, gauges come on as usual when ignition is on, and I am hitting the run switch, but NO FUEL PUMP PRIME. First I think the fuel pump just crapped out, but very odd to give no warning signs whatsoever and after the bike simply sitting in the garage for a week--no trauma, etc.

Do you think I have bad ECU based on these issues:

Checked fuel cut and bank angle sensor relays. At first both "clicked" when run switch was cycled on and off. Still no pump though.

Have not hooked pump directly to a 12V source, so I can't eliminate it as simply a failed part.

However, looked at all wires, can find no visibly broken grounds, other wires, etc. Fuel pump connector looks not to be pinched, etc. Have not torn into the harness though.

All fuses are good in fuse box and battery cover. No breaks in fuses.

All battery hook ups are tight. Grounds to frame are tight.

After a while of switching bike on an off, and an attempt to jumper the fuel cut relay, the fuel cut relay at that point stopped clicking on/off. The bank angle relay still does click though.

I switched/swapped relays between headlight/BAS sensor and whatever relay is put into the fuel cut sensor location will not click, so I assume that relay is no longer getting juice to open/close for whatever reason.

Don't think the kill switch is the culprit since it seems to send power to the BAS relay which still clicks.

I am thinking maybe the ECU is bad and not sending a signal to the fuel cut relay, but my understanding of anything electrical on a bike sucks. I admit to have no understanding of the magic of testing continuity, voltage etc.

Could very well be the pump but again, in my experience they usually give you a sign first.

The only thing I did lately was put a Hotbodies undertail on. The bike has been running fine though. Maybe over time the vibration from the the ECU sitting in the tail (although well secured) killed it? I can't imagine turn signal and brake wiring for an undertail could affect pump operation.

looked at ECU, and see no visible broken pins, wires, etc. I ordered a used ECU off ebay for $150 to see if that is it. THESE THINGS ARE $600 NEW!

Thanks

Sorry for the long post, but does anyone have any advice?

·
Registered
23 Posts
i know your pain but im getting no spark either all relays click and work tilt sensor works fi just stays lit but mine was due to 12v power supply wire(black and white) and a sensor output wire touching which was the 5v red and yellow wire they arced out right by the ecu and i suspect my ecu is gone aint ordered 1 yet trying to find one you should check if you have a feed to the the fuel pump and continuty there aswell

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
First off..always start out with good battery since a bad or low voltage will make the testing incorrect but your kill switch on the right clip-on. Make sure it is solid first before condemning anything else.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thansk for the advice guys. I am still waiting on a used ECU from ebay so I can figure out if a bad ECU was the cause.

I will let you know what I come with. If not, I have a feeling its an expensive dealer service dept trip for me.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
too bad you are not closer to another RC guy that you could just swap parts to narrow it down faster.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got the used ECU in the mail today. Hooked it up and oddly now the fuel cut relay works as well as the bank angle sensor relay (both click)--but still pump won't prime.

So I have confirmned that with the old ECU, the bas relay clicks but the fuel cut relay will not. Odd that when the problem first started the original ECU had both relays clicking fine but then decided to just have the bas click and not the fuel cut relay.

So strange. I guess next I need to buy a fuel pump and hook it up.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just wanted to thank everyone for the advice and help. Turns out it was a dead fuel pump. I bought an 04 pump used off ebay, hooked it up off the bike and it primed.

The old fuel pump just died in its sleep apparently. No warning at all. Ran great one day, would not start the next.

Now, if anyone has any tips on removal/replacement of a fuel pump without making a mess of spilled gas, I am all ears!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts