Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hotrod 926 project update

1st a question: any 851 experts on this board? here is why i ask.
i started tearing down The Hotrod 926 yesterday AM.
i have most of the parts on the way to do the planned upgrades. the dreaded "project creep" will be avoided at all costs.
i have decided not to take it all the way down to the frame due to lack of mechanical ability, heat in my garage and the desire to have a properly functioning motorcycle come spring.
so the plan at this time (subject to change without notice or check book balance consultation) is to have all body work painted red. i have new full fairing lowers w/o turn signal orifices (cause i hate turn signals) coming. i will have huge white # plates painted on the tail section and around the headlight. i have a full 851 replica sticker kit on the way but instead of 851 it will say 926. i also have some mfg logo's going on like Brembo, Arai, Michelin, Ohlins, AGIP, Termi, etc. these are going under the clearcoat forever deciding my choice of parts. sponsorship deals are in the works.
brakes will be updated to 2000 model year superbike spec. that's rotors, calipers, master cylinders, levers and sweet blue kevlar Fren Tubo lines. rear caliper will stay old 851 stock but with a severely lightened rotor.
the wheels (they are MAGNESIUM Marchisini's) will be painted (by me) semi gloss black with the MotoGP replica red stripe (.99 worth of plumbers tape). Michelin Pilot Race tires will be mounted.
clutch will be getting a blue kevlar Fren Tubo line also.
i'm looking for some Termi carbon fibre cans because the FBF units currently on the bike are a little rough and they are not Termi's.
other small parts will be painted and powdercoated. i'll go thru all the cables, hoses, connectors and tidy up a bit. there will be no visible tie wraps, rubber bands when i'm done.
that's the plan for now. any assistance, suggestions, loose change you want to contribute will be appreciated. i'm looking forward to learning a little about bike maint. this winter.
i'll post some before, during shots later.

·
Registered
526 Posts
go with the standars stainless line for the clutch blue/yellow= ugh also if you are spend the time find some yellow zip ties. i know that sound anal but i am putting red zip ties on my new monster with a red frame (like my last one) it makes a world of difference. you could take it douwn to tthe frame and powder coat it-its not that rough and its a winter project:rockon

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
holy crap! twins. at least brothers. not for long though. all but the new fairing lowers are at the painter for a shot of really red with white # plates. it's gonna be cool. still need a few parts though.

·
Registered
648 Posts
if it still has std 40mm headers then the superlight termis are the same - that may help widen the availability. the local termi rep out here told me he can get anything for pre '98 model bikes (agreement with local ducati importer) in about 6 weeks, including 851 spaghetti systems.

you're going to have red bodywork and a yellow frame? funky.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ouch! ginainwi. asked: "is it going to look like a McDonalds bike?" i said "no. it will look like an old racing Ferrari." i hope. they had red bods with yellow wheels and frames at one point.

i'm going to see how it looks. if i bolt it all together and it looks like hell i'll take it apart and PC the frame white. that was the original plan.
i have to keep reminding myself that this is a trackbike and not a street bike, bling mobile like The Hotrod M944 was.

i do enjoy the double 1/4 pounder with cheese (or a Royale w/cheese) though so maybe a sponsorship will materialize...
still looking for a set of mc's. i know brett has 1 but as soon as i buy it a pair will be posted someplace. i guess a spare would not be a bad thing to have.
Brett, e-mail me and we'll work out the details. mikepiarulli at hotmail.com

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
and so it continues...

tank is off. it and the new full fairing sides are at the painter and will be done in 2 weeks.
got my rotors today. sno flakes for the front and a severly lighted S4 rotor for the rear. i'll paint the wheels tomorrow and hopefully have new tires on, rotors mounted by Monday.
went thru the wiring and all electrical connections i could get and tidied up a bit. i zip tied stuff away from heat sources and spinning gears. i removed the left side switchgear except the hi/lo beam and added a lite on/off switch. this is now in a tiny box i made out of the old switch and zip tied to a fairing stay along side the gauges. i also relocated the kill/start button to the side of the gauges. this will give me room for the SBK calipers that i have coming from 2 different places.
how bad/dumb is it to run this without belt covers? it came this way and i bet 851 covers are rare. i'm hoping that the full fairing will offer enough protection for them.
i noticed today that the tank is aluminum. after draining it i picked it up and wow is it light. did the magnet test and sure enough. it's alu. so is the subframe. i was shocked to see all the "stuff" inside the tank. a big cannister looking thing and a fuel filter maybe? (i have a book and will be reading it this weekend.) how the hell do you work on that when/if it fails? even with the entire gas cap removed i could not get enough of my hand in there to remove the hardware securing that stuff. anybody?
that's it for now.

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
I *knew* I've seen that bike somewhere before! It was in Wisconsin... 3-4 years ago? I was at a Hawk rally and we crossed paths with the Slimey Cruds at a BMW/Guzzi dealership (?) way out in the sticks somewhere. My buddy Tim wanted that bike SO bad.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, truth be told The Hotrod 926 wanted Tim also. not sure if they ever hooked up but this thing is so strong i know if they did Tim would have been walking funny for a few days.

i just bought the bike on 9/30/05 from a guy in De-troit that had way to many toys and not enough time. he is a long time Slimey Crud Cafe Racer and while he was here delivering the bike he stayed with Peter Egan. very cool guy.
tell Tim the bike sends it's love.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wheels done!

i got the wheels done today. i roughed them up with this cool scratchy pad thing i found at wallymart. they were all dull and ready for paint with a minimum of sweat.
check out my sweet wheel painting rig. (pat. pend.) this made the job A LOT easier. it took me about 5 mins to screw it together.
i think they came out good for a rattle can job on a mid 50 degree, windy day in N/E WI.
i used black primer then black semi gloss. that ought to hide the chain lube well.
the tape is a .59 roll of elec tape. i put the cool Marchisini stickets (from Scott in PA.) over the seam. sano.
rotor bolts are stock painted blue and the discs have my trademark painted edge.
not bad for about 4 hours worth of work and $12.00 worth of stuff. (minus the magnesium wheels and brembo rotors of course.)
before:

during:

done rear:

done front:

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Mike - was the rear rotor drilled like that when you got the bike or did you have it drilled? They turned out nice! I plan on doing that to the 900ss, but not sure if I want white or black??

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i found the rotor on e-bay. it's off an Monster S4. the previous owner had it lightened. it's way lighter than the stocker i took off the 851. could it be stainless steel? sure is light.

i went black to hide grime and make it easy to paint initially and to touch up when needed.
i had white wheels on the M944 for a while and they were tough to keep clean. they look very old school cool though.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
brettmess24 said:
Dude you painted your rotors?

just the edge. see the red strip? i have been doing this to my bikes since the 80's. it cooks off after 6 months or so of use but it's easy to re-apply and it looks oh-so cool. :rockon

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
926 update

not alot to show for the past weeks. i'm waiting for a new set of Sidewinder sprockets to arrive then i'll install the rear wheel.
i do have the new calipers, master cylinders and Fren Tubo, blue kevlar brake lines installed. clutch line is Fren Tubo also and it is on.
i think it looks good and so far no big problems. everything has fit and worked as designed.
i found a race upper fairing without a headlight cutout. i dropped that off at the painter today. all my stuff was primed and ready to be red. can't wait to get it all home.
the plan for the race upper is to install a small driving light (2-3" diam) in the lower right corner where the # plate is.
i just need to source the light.
that's it for now.
hoping to apply stickers on Sunday then it all goes back to the painter for clearcoat.
thanks to Brett here for some parts to make it all come together.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
and now it's red!

got the body work back today for sticker placement. it looks great. i affixed all the custom made stickies and kinda held it to the bike. the yellow frame does not clash to heavily so it will stay (for now).
that is not me in the pics. my melon shines far better than my bud Dave B's.
it all goes back to the painter for a few shots of clear then i'll put it back together.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
El_Toro said:
Ducati elephant decals. Cool.

Lookin' good mike. the yellow frame doesn;t clash to me either.
thanks. i think it looks good. i'd like it better if the frame was white but that will have to wait.
hope things are getting better in your area. hang in there.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts