Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Enormous Member
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the WTC attacks happened the world reached out and offered us help in both physical and financial aid.

With the Hurricane disaster we see less offers from the rest of the world then any other National Disaster assistance.

When Katrina hit and the magnitude of destruction began to be shown, nada. Nothing.:wtf

There is now a token amount of assistance from a small group of countries. However it is a microscopic offering in relation to the massive contributions this country has made to other global disasters in the past.

I am revolted by it. I will rethink my next donation to any charity that professes to help the world.

·
Tough Crowd Racing #167
1,374 Posts
I was just thinking the very same thing this morning:mad:

How quickly the hand is shoved in our faces every time something happens in any part of the world.

I keep thinking of a certain Sunami that happened last year.....

:mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Uhm.

Every news article i've read stated that other nations offered assistance, but our goverment pretty much "ignored" their offers. I guess it's a silent way of saying we can handle it ourselves.

If assistance from other countries is truly needed, then it's only our goverment to blame for not acceptin their offer and welcoming the aid.

Where do you get your facts from?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
You know, this is a great opportunity for the oil-rich Muslim countries of the world to open their pockets and pour millions and millions and million into our Hurricane Relief effort.

They say they're against terrorism. They say they're our friends. Well... open up the check book, shoot a billion this way, don't take "no" for an answer.

Show the USA your compassion. Show us you don't buy into the Infidel mentality.

Or is it all just lip service (as we've suspected all along)?

·
Registered
837 Posts
All very good points...BUT , This country is supposed to be THE best in the world at managing and handling any kind of incident , manmade or natural , I think the ball was dropped on this one and it's a National shame that people in New Orleans and parts of Mississippi still are without the very basics

I understand the logistics of this but where's our military ? :wtf Fuck Iraq , Germany , Japan and everywhere else our troops are...Get them HERE and take care of US , thats the United States first and foremost . :clapper This was allowed to get out of hand by the powers that be , and then to have this gas-pricing shit just happen....WHAT THE FUCK !

·
RC51-less Member
6,675 Posts
i understand EXACTLY what you're saying Robert, only i look at it a little differently.

America is the big dog on the block. people look to us for help, because we have so much. they almost expect it... i agree, it's sickening at times.

i take it as a compliment.

the difference is: i'll continue to give what i can, regardless of where they're from. just because (strictly hypothetical) Germany didn't offer any help, that doesn't mean that every German citizen didn't want to, or didn't send something through the Red Cross organization. It's because they're government declined to help. Germany did offer help, by the way.

when it comes down to it, most people just want to help other people, no matter what they're color, race or place they call home. or at least i'd like to think so.

my guess is Robert, you may think about giving your next donation, but you'll do it anyway. crotchity old man that you are, you're just that kind of person........:p

·
Registered
401 Posts
Most country's aid would just be re-gifted USA money anyways.

Venezuela’s president offered some cash along with security personnel and cheap oil. And this is from someone who thinks that the USA is out to kill him.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Aid Offers Will Be Accepted From Countries

By BARRY SCHWEID
The Associated Press
Thursday, September 1, 2005; 7:09 PM

WASHINGTON -- In a turnabout, the United States is now on the receiving end of help from around the world as some two dozen countries offer post-hurricane assistance.

Venezuela, a target of frequent criticism by the Bush administration, offered humanitarian aid and fuel. Venezuela's Citgo Petroleum Corp. pledged a $1 million donation for hurricane aid.

The United Nations informed U.S. Ambassador John R. Bolton it was prepared to support the relief effort "in any way possible." Under Secretary-General Jan Egeland said his office had offered the services of the U.N.'s disaster assistance and coordination teams to the U.S. Agency for International Development.

Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon sent a letter to President Bush offering hundreds of doctors, nurses, technicians and other experts in trauma, natural disasters and public health.

"We also offer field hospitals, medical kits and equipment for temporary housing, reinforcement for hospitals, or any assistance that you may require," Sharon wrote.

He said the teams and equipment could be ready in 24 hours. With offers from the four corners of the globe pouring in, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has decided "no offer that can help alleviate the suffering of the people in the afflicted area will be refused," State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said Thursday.

However, in Moscow, a Russian official said the U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency had rejected a Russian offer to dispatch rescue teams and other aid.

On Tuesday, President Vladimir Putin sent condolences to Bush and said Russia was prepared to help if asked.

Boats, aircraft, tents, blankets, generators, cash assistance and medical teams have been offered to the U.S. government in Washington or in embassies overseas.

Offers have been received from Russia, Japan, Canada, France, Honduras, Germany, Venezuela, Jamaica, Australia, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Greece, Hungary, Colombia, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Mexico, China, South Korea, Israel, the United Arab Emirates, NATO and the Organization of American States, the spokesman said.

Also, the Singapore embassy said the Southeast Asian country was sending three Chinook helicopters with 38 air force personnel from military exercises in Texas, to Louisiana to support relief efforts by the Texas National Guard.

President Chandrika Bandaranaike of Sri Lanka, in China on a state visit, sent messages of sympathy to Washington while her government contributed $25,000 through the American Red Cross.

Still, Bush told ABC-TV: "I'm not expecting much from foreign nations because we hadn't asked for it. I do expect a lot of sympathy and perhaps some will send cash dollars. But this country's going to rise up and take care of it."

"You know," he said, "we would love help, but we're going to take care of our own business as well, and there's no doubt in my mind we'll succeed. And there's no doubt in my mind, as I sit here talking to you, that New Orleans is going to rise up again as a great city."

Historically, the United States provides assistance to other countries experiencing earthquakes, floods and other disasters.

Germany, which was rebuilt after World War II largely by the U.S. Marshall Plan, offered its help in a telephone call to Rice.

"The German Government is prepared to do all that is humanly possible," the German embassy said. In his call, German Foreign Minister Joschka Fischer assured Rice of Germany's solidarity with its American friends in a difficult time, the embassy said.

Israeli Ambassador Daniel Ayalon called Wednesday at the State Department to offer condolences and assistance. Israel is the largest recipient of U.S. aid, about $2.2 billion a year.

"The hearts and prayers of Israel's people are with the people of the United States and the many millions who are suffering in the regional devastation resulting from hurricane Katrina," the Israeli embassy said in a statement.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/01/AR2005090101542_pf.html

·
Registered
328 Posts
not only are we alone in this but we are also a divided country. the media, political hacks and politicians pointing blame trying to gain votes for their own political future. 120 miles of coast line is laid to waste and all some people can do is point fingers and sow the seeds of discontent. you have reverends pointing fingers at whites to give the impression that because the majority of pepole left in NO are black that this must mean the cause of this unfortunate outcome in NO's is because of racism.

lets hope that we come out from this in one piece and soon.

·
Registered
983 Posts
sp2pilot said:
I am revolted by it. I will rethink my next donation to any charity that professes to help the world.
I won't. Our ability to help, in any capacity, is part of what makes this country great. That sounds overly simplistic, and a little corny...

But it's true.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
This is all going to get worse before it get's better. I like the idea about "oil-rich Muslim countries of the world" helping out! But I doubt thats going to happen! :banghead

·
Anger managment patient
3,474 Posts
Just a note on the size of this disaster. The area impacted is greater than Isreal. So if this storm struck that country it would now be GONE. So imagine that and enitre country turned to rubble in 24 hours.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
EvilTwin-05 said:
So imagine that enitre country turned to rubble in 24 hours.
I would vote for this statement about Iraq if our troops were pulled out first.

·
Registered
316 Posts
"Once there was a dream that was called Rome, it was so fragile that to speak of it at more than a whisper could destroy it". Gladiator.

Yeah, the greatness of Rome. . . or the United States in its modern analogue. . .

I hope you all understand what I am getting at, the world has been here before. We are living in the 330's all over again. It would be irresponsible for all of us not to do what it takes to change the outcome. The outcome can be changed. The one remaining, largest (in influence and political power), most powerful nation in the world doesn't have to fall like Rome did. There are steps we can take, things we can do, but if we don't . . . . Expect that muslim insurgents crossing our weakly guarded southern boarder along with the huddled masses/ immigrant illeagals will take a toll, distant conflicts with barbarian/ non-democratic nations will tax our military, degradation of our educational system will lead to wisespread ignorance, left wing propogated moral decay will seal the deal and this country will fall. It will fall in a storm and multinational feading frenzy that will make the current goings on in N.O. look like just a plain ole kindergarten brawl.

Choose our fate or have it chosen for us. Me, I am equipped regardless of which way it goes, though I think the events of 410 are still a bit off.

P.S. What's up wid all dis N.O. stuff in the street and track forum. Seems kinda "Off Topic Lounge" to me, unless we can work in some Rat Bike references somewhere.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Macx said:
P.S. What's up wid all dis N.O. stuff in the street and track forum. Seems kinda "Off Topic Lounge" to me, unless we can work in some Rat Bike references somewhere.

Agreed 110%

·
Registered
42 Posts
As a Canadian I can see through the Cdn press/media the Prime Minister has offed help AND is waiting for the American Govt to say what they need.

General Rick Hillier has the DART on immediate alert. This is a large water purification plant that was used in the South Asian incident last winter. Also a number of senior officers of Army enginners to get their troops ready.

The Minister of Defense, though over in Russia, as stated three ships & one ice breaker will be ready to move on Tuesday. The ships will have engineers & a number of small boats & while the ice breaker is not needed to break through ice they have some diving teams & such on board.

It was yesterday or the day before that the a Vancouver B.C. Cdn special search & rescue team were given 2 hrs to get ready to move. Said team has been training for 10 yrs & felt the would be called on a few prior occasions. It consists of several dogs for sniffing out humans, doctors, nurses, firemen, police (that will not be carrying f/arms), & ex-Army engineers.
----------------------------------------
By the way I note Castro from Cuba has offered a maze of doctors & so much more, but ponder if the USA will lower its self to accept this though time will tell.

So really guys/gals the USA is not left having to do everything on its own. Possibly one probelm is lack of communication & what the States will need & will accept.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Smitty: less than 60 days ago, Castro refused help from the US

when "Dennis" hit. i may be wrong, but i don't think we're short of doctors.

logistic is the problem at hand.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Macx said:
"Once there was a dream that was called Rome, it was so fragile that to speak of it at more than a whisper could destroy it". Gladiator.

Yeah, the greatness of Rome. . . or the United States in its modern analogue. . .

I hope you all understand what I am getting at, the world has been here before. We are living in the 330's all over again. It would be irresponsible for all of us not to do what it takes to change the outcome. The outcome can be changed. The one remaining, largest (in influence and political power), most powerful nation in the world doesn't have to fall like Rome did. There are steps we can take, things we can do, but if we don't . . . . Expect that muslim insurgents crossing our weakly guarded southern boarder along with the huddled masses/ immigrant illeagals will take a toll, distant conflicts with barbarian/ non-democratic nations will tax our military, degradation of our educational system will lead to wisespread ignorance, left wing propogated moral decay will seal the deal and this country will fall. It will fall in a storm and multinational feading frenzy that will make the current goings on in N.O. look like just a plain ole kindergarten brawl.

Choose our fate or have it chosen for us. Me, I am equipped regardless of which way it goes, though I think the events of 410 are still a bit off.

wow...i like ridley scott more than most people, but i wouldn't use a quote from one of his movies as an axiom for the downfall of our civlization. for that i'd go to most of mr. bush's lame excuses for how that shit happen or rather did not happen in NO.

·
Registered
316 Posts
It is a tough job to play second fiddle to Nero/ Clinton. I think the present trainwreck predates Bush by a few years, though I agree that what we have here is a trainwreck. I agree that current Bush isn't doing as good a job as I think my wise old grandfather would, but at least Bush isn't boneing interns while watching Rome burn. My interest in the Fall of Rome/ Fall of U.S. predates the Ridley Scott film, but I did find that film captured alot of detail from that period that many films gloss over (like the scene where the young emporer comes riding in on the chariot, greated by throngs paid to be there, many of which were actually protesting, hungry and ignorant). The book How the Irish Saved Civilization, is probably one of the more significant sources of my line of thought.

Meanwhile, here in these last few years of life as we have known it, I wonder if I should buy a Motard or a Hayabusa for my next bike, or Motard-ize a KLR. I swapped bikes with a mildly motarded KLR rider once for a blast along 28 near the Dragon. . . that was fun. I am won dering what the difference in fuel consuption is, between soemthing like a MZ Black Panther and a Hayabusa?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts