G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"May 14 AMA Supermoto Race In Southern California Postponed

Apr 08, 2005

From a press release issued by AMA Pro Racing:

AMA SUPERMOTO ROUND ONE POSTPONED

Road America event to be opening round

PICKERINGTON, Ohio (April 8, 2005) -- AMA Pro Racing and Troy Lee Designs have announced that the AMA Supermoto Championship event scheduled to be held on May 14 at the Orange County Fairgrounds in Costa Mesa, Calif., has been postponed.

In making the announcement, Troy Lee Design’s Bob Weber said that his company was just made aware that a special state permit was necessary but that it would be impossible to secure the permit prior to the date. “Our pre-event planning was on schedule and things were in good shape for the event,” said Weber. “Unfortunately we then learned about the requirement for this permit, which came as a complete surprise to us. We had no choice but to postpone the event due to timing. The good news is that the Fairgrounds are enthusiastic about this race so we’re going to work with AMA Pro Racing to secure another date.”

AMA Pro Racing’s Vice President of Commercial Development, John Farris concurred. “Obviously we’re disappointed that we can’t proceed with this event as originally scheduled,” said Farris. “However, we’re looking forward to working with everyone at Troy Lee Designs to find a suitable replacement date. We both agree that Southern California is an important market for Supermoto so we’re hopeful that this race can be rescheduled.”

The event scheduled for June 4 at Road America in Elkhart Lake, Wis., will now be the opening round of the 2005 AMA Supermoto Championship."

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: AMA Supermoto takes another hit (Nick Novice)

Isn't that the same thing the AMA said happened at Reno last year?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: AMA Supermoto takes another hit (chriscap)

Reno was clearly a venue where a race had <U>never</U> been held before. I Don't know about Costa Mesa, but I bet it is the first time for a supermoto race.
Shouldn't we cut these guys a little slack for attempting stuff (even if it doesn't work the first time) that's never been done before?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: AMA Supermoto takes another hit (SupermotoFan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SupermotoFan »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Shouldn't we cut these guys a little slack for attempting stuff (even if it doesn't work the first time) that's never been done before?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm reading and re-reading the posts above yours, and I don't see where anyone said anything critical...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Mr. Supermoto Fan, you'll know when I'm bitching. In fact if you'd read most of my posts regarding this last year, you'd see that I quite often defend the AMA, typically blaming the promoter for these screw ups. It's not the AMAs job to get permits, but the promoters. So the AMA, yes I'll cut them slack, but I'm not cutting you any.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Sorry for misinterpreting what I thought to be another "Let's slam AMA Pro Racing--everything they do is messed up!"-thread. I guess it's a knee-jerk reaction.

Cap--you wanna take back your last statement now?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the ama still blows as a promoter. they need to stick to flag waving and cyclists rights. leave the promotions to someone capable. look at what those white devils clear channel have done for supercross.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SupermotoFan »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Cap--you wanna take back your last statement now?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

No.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nick Novice »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the ama still blows as a promoter</TD></TR></TABLE>

And luckily they don't do most of the promoting.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Cap--

Meet me by the swings after school!

Nick--

The AMA blows at a lot of things, but they aren't promoters.

Cut and pasted from ama-cycle.org:

About the AMA
Founded in 1924, the AMA has an unparalleled history of pursuing, protecting and promoting the interests of the world's largest and most dedicated group of motorcycle enthusiasts.

Rights
The AMA is the premier defender of motorcyclists’ rights in the United States. The work of the AMA Government Relations Department extends beyond AMA members to all motorcyclists. Staff members ferret out bad laws and anti-motorcycling discrimination at the local, state, federal and corporate levels. When critical issues and problems arise, education, common sense, political clout and, when necessary, compromise are used to make changes beneficial to all riders -- even those who aren't AMA members.

AMA Pro Racing blows at a lot of things, but again, they aren't promoters.

Cut and pasted from AMAProRacing.com:

A for-profit subsidiary of the 265,000-member-plus American Motorcyclist Association (AMA), AMA Pro Racing was formed in 1995 to respond to the rising popularity and tremendous growth of motorcycle racing in America. The formation of a separate company with a separate Board of Directors and management staff allowed the AMA to continue its focus on government relations, pursuing, protecting and promoting the interests of motorcycle enthusiasts, membership growth and other issues. AMA Pro Racing concentrates exclusively on the business and complexities of professional motorcycle racing.

Rights to the most successful national championship series are managed by AMA Pro Racing. Those series are: AMA Supercross Series, AMA Superbike Championship, AMA Motocross Championship and AMA Flat Track Championship. AMA Pro Racing’s successful management of these series dates back several decades. AMA Pro Racing’s newest series, the AMA Supermoto Championship began in 2003 and was an immediate success attracting top-level riders, teams and sponsor support....

End of Lesson.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dude, you are swingin' from the ama testies. but thanks for the lesson. i USED to be a ama member. after the jacked up my series, i let it expire. they're like midus. except turning things to gold it is poop.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (Nick Novice)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nick Novice »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...I USED to be a ama member. after the jacked up my series, i let it expire. they're like midus. except turning things to gold it is poop.</TD></TR></TABLE>

"I'm like King Midas in reverse, everything I touch turns to $h*t..." - Tony Soprano

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SupermotoFan »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Cap--
Meet me by the swings after school!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Now that made me laugh. I'll toast one to you later...

They (AMA Pro) ARE NOT PROMOTERS of the individual races. Promoters pays AMA Pro Racing for the rights to promote a race. In Supercross, it's Clear Channel and Daytona as the promoters. In all other disciplines it's (usually) the track owners. AMA Pro is the sanctioning body providing and enforcing rules and such and depending on how you look at it could be considered the promoter of the series itself, but not the races.

I think Nick was mostly referring to the Superbike (Nicks just an old road racer) series itself, in which they can't even land a title sponsor for. Look at SX and Superbike. Superbike has a bigger audience (I think) and they can't get any traction, yet CC is mostly responsible for SX and look what has happened to it. Who was responsible for the Daytona 200 disaster this year?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anybody that's racing is probably happy for the extra 2 weeks to get ready for the first round, I know we are.

Everyone knows by now we all have to be flexible when it comes to the Nationals, I really don't see it as that big a deal.
It really doesn't mater what the AMA does people will b!tch no mater what they do.
It's the only real constant.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"Who was responsible for the Daytona 200 disaster this year?"

i can't really blame the ama on that one. the france family said no way to superbikes on the 200. if the ama didn't agree, they were going to give the weekend to the formula usa series. that place isn't designed for today's motorcycles. superstock bikes breaking 190mph let alone superbikes. i think the 200 should have been supsersport bikes with stock tanks and no quick change stuff. that would have been interesting.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i haven' t ridden it, so i can't say. but there must not be much runoff. i know mladin jumped off in testing and his bike t-boned a wall on the new section.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chriscap »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I think Nick was mostly referring to the Superbike (Nicks just an old road racer) series itself, in which they can't even land a title sponsor for. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I just love ignorant statements like this. Motorcycle racing is dangerous and not very popular, hence the difficulty in finding sponsors. It isn't the incompetency of AMA Pro.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: AMA Supermoto takes another hit (hans jimsen)

"I just love ignorant statements like this. Motorcycle racing is dangerous and not very popular, hence the difficulty in finding sponsors. It isn't the incompetency of AMA Pro."

that is the most ignorant thing i've heard all week. just because it's not popular in your backyard doesn't make it a reality. look over your privacy fence man. motorcycle racing is huge elsewhere. it's one of the top 3 sports in the world. soccer, formula 1, and moto gp i believe the list goes. it can be WAY bigger in the USA of marketed properly. damn that is stupid. i'm pissed at your ignorance.

are you saying that nascar and top fuel drag racing isn't dangerous? they've lost some big names. i don't see sponsors backing out of their series.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: AMA Supermoto takes another hit (Nick Novice)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nick Novice »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"I just love ignorant statements like this. Motorcycle racing is dangerous and not very popular, hence the difficulty in finding sponsors. It isn't the incompetency of AMA Pro."

that is the most ignorant thing i've heard all week. just because it's not popular in your backyard doesn't make it a reality. look over your privacy fence man. motorcycle racing is huge elsewhere. it's one of the top 3 sports in the world. soccer, formula 1, and moto gp i believe the list goes. it can be WAY bigger in the USA of marketed properly. damn that is stupid. i'm pissed at your ignorance.

are you saying that nascar and top fuel drag racing isn't dangerous? they've lost some big names. i don't see sponsors backing out of their series.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am well aware of how popular motorcycle racing is in the rest of the world. Unfortunately, when trying to get a title sponsor for the AMA series, you happen to be in the states where it isn't popular. You also are dealing with American corportations who don't see the need to spend money on a relatively unknown sport.

I never said that other forms of motorsport were not dangerous. Motorcycles are perceived as more dangerous than cars, since most people don't ride. Those people are the ones who make the decisions on how companies spend marketing dollars. That is the reality of the situation.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: AMA Supermoto takes another hit (hans jimsen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hans jimsen »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I just love ignorant statements like this. Motorcycle racing is dangerous and not very popular, hence the difficulty in finding sponsors. It isn't the incompetency of AMA Pro.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't even know where to start with morons like you. Motorcycle racing isn't popular? Have you been hiding under a rock? Did you see the turnout for the Pontiac SX last Saturday? Did you ever notice that the all three Anahiem SX within one month sell out (or damn close)? They have more sponsors than Tim Cotter can spit out over the course of a night. Supercross is dangerous and in case you haven't noticed Supercross riders compete on motorcycles not in cars.

Dude that AMA has done a suck ass job with Superbike recently. I've done bad jobs at stuff before too, doesn't mean I should quit nor am I saying the AMA should quit. The fact is that Superbike has a bigger fan base and they should have done a better job at a title sponsor and I'm not talking about Parts Unlimited. They got a title sponsor for Flat Track, didn't they?

And I'm still lauging about this one
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hans jimsen »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
...when trying to get a title sponsor for the AMA series, you happen to be in the states where it isn't popular. You also are dealing with American corportations who don't see the need to spend money on a relatively unknown sport.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Unknown?
Isn't popular? You should either quit taking drugs or start. As for the more or less dangerous, get a clue that has nothing to do with it. Don't believe me, just watch the X-Games.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts