Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
flippy said:
Just saw this...
http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=8195

From what I can see, this will be a great circuit. How about a World superbike here?
I'm gonna get cruxified for this but one crucial factor is proximity....how many people live within like 250 miles of the place. Mid-Ohio draws people like flies to honey cuz it is within a very heavily populated radius, same for Road Atlanta and some other circuits....correct me if I am wrong, but Salt Lake City is in the middle of nowhere....how many people live within a 250 radius of SLC? I think that the AMA is making a big mistake here. Might be proved wrong but do not think so. SLC is just NOT a big draw area.

·
Registered
757 Posts
roadkill said:
I'm gonna get cruxified for this but one crucial factor is proximity....how many people live within like 250 miles of the place. Mid-Ohio draws people like flies to honey cuz it is within a very heavily populated radius, same for Road Atlanta and some other circuits....correct me if I am wrong, but Salt Lake City is in the middle of nowhere....how many people live within a 250 radius of SLC? I think that the AMA is making a big mistake here. Might be proved wrong but do not think so. SLC is just NOT a big draw area.
It's where the most modern track in America is being built. They would be stupid, beyond their normal dumbassness, to NOT go there.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
stk0308 said:
It's where the most modern track in America is being built. They would be stupid, beyond their normal dumbassness, to NOT go there.
It could be a billion dollar extraganza built by an Arab sheikh and if it was 500 miles from anywhere it would be a hard sell after the third year....everyone would come once to see it but then the attendance would plummet to a point where it would lose money in a major way and fold. That is exactly what happened at Laguna Seca with the Moto500 series....they folded due to such poor turnouts that the promoters lost everything they had and gave up. Guys, this ain't NASCAR

·
Registered
271 Posts
It is all a plot of L. Ron Hubbard and Keith Code to infiltrate and convert the Mormon Church through the addiction of speed and track schools.

·
Registered
253 Posts
It might bring in a lot of people from neighboring states that don't normally get a chance to see a AMA race. Remember, Pikes Peak is a long way away.

It may be out of the way but tell ya one thing though, if you get the chance to visit downtown SLC you won't be disappointed. It is absolutely the cleanest downtown of a city that size I have ever visited. For pedestrians it also has the count-down "walk-don't walk" signs. Probably put in for the Olympics but way cool anyway.

Plus , the local micro-brew produces "Polygamy Porter". What a thumb in the eye of the Mormons!:woot: And it's pretty tasty too!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yes But Polygamy Porter is 3.2 Beer! What a Thumb in the Eye of beer drinkers! SLC really is a Beautiful City. Been through it many times.

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
I remember driving around SLC for what seemed like hours trying to find a place to buy beer. We finally found some, but it was not refridgerated.

Party on SLC! :rockon

·
Registered
209 Posts
Then again if You bring your own beer they can charge you with Smuggling! I would still go to Races there though.

·
This space for rent
1,478 Posts
After all the bullshit in relation to the Moto GP at Laguna, I may just go to Utah instead. There is some nice places to ride along the way(Black Hills, Beartooth Pass, Yellowstone, etc) that I could just take a week or so off and have a nice trip.

·
Registered
757 Posts
roadkill said:
It could be a billion dollar extraganza built by an Arab sheikh and if it was 500 miles from anywhere it would be a hard sell after the third year....everyone would come once to see it but then the attendance would plummet to a point where it would lose money in a major way and fold. That is exactly what happened at Laguna Seca with the Moto500 series....they folded due to such poor turnouts that the promoters lost everything they had and gave up. Guys, this ain't NASCAR
But it's not 500 miles from anywhere, just you, apparently.

I'm with you, sort of, on your example of Laguna Seca. LS is in the so called motorcycle mecca state of the union, and even it died due to attendance drop. What we have here is not a location problem, but a people problem. Too many become either jaded or too lazy to return to an event like this. Look at the crowds at Assen, Donnington Park, or any Spanish or Italian MC event. Makes our "dedication" as fans look pretty pathetic. Then again, when it's cheaper to consider going to the Czech GP than the US GP, maybe there's something to NOT holding it in California.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
stk0308 said:
But it's not 500 miles from anywhere, just you, apparently.

I'm with you, sort of, on your example of Laguna Seca. LS is in the so called motorcycle mecca state of the union, and even it died due to attendance drop. What we have here is not a location problem, but a people problem. Too many become either jaded or too lazy to return to an event like this. Look at the crowds at Assen, Donnington Park, or any Spanish or Italian MC event. Makes our "dedication" as fans look pretty pathetic. Then again, when it's cheaper to consider going to the Czech GP than the US GP, maybe there's something to NOT holding it in California.
Please don't take this as a knock on SLC...none intended. My niece and her husband live there and love it. She is from Chicago and he is from Vermont so there must be some heavy duty attraction. But, to be honest, I think that a long term draw in SLC is very iffy....too long a drive from the more populated parts of the country....damn, when we flew from Atlanta to San Francisco to go to the MotoGP, we flew over huge expanses of vacant territory....like a lunar landscape, hugely beautiful, just no one there. Be honest...just how many people are going to drive/fly from other parts of the country to go to an AMA race in Utah? Sorry, not gonna work after the third or fourth year....nothing personal, just spreadsheet material.

·
Registered
61 Posts
"Sorry, not gonna work after the third or fourth year....nothing personal, just spreadsheet material."

That's OK roadkill cause I'm gonna have a KICKASS track in my backyard. :rockon
Something we have been dreaming about for many, many years. Thanks to Larry Miller. :notworthy

Las Vegas is about 330 miles away (6 hours drive time), would you drive 6 hours to see a AMA race, drink real, cold beer (it can be done, just ask my liver), hiking or mountain bike in some beautiful mountains and walk in a city with your only fear is possibly being converted to the Mormon Church?

Think about this. During the spring, and with the location of the track, I'll be able to go and drag my knuckles on Saturday and then go drag my knees on Sunday. Nirvana!
We may be "out in nowhere", that may be an appeal to some people, but the track will hold more then an AMA race http://www.millermotorsportspark.com/index.cfm and these may not have the draw of a NASCAR race but they will still draw race fans to the area. Also the track will be very busy with club racing, open track days, kart racing and lots more.

Strange as it may sound, Larry Miller is not in it to make lotsa money, he is a race fan and loves to race his collection of Cobras and GT40s. He is building a 1st class facility not for the money but for his love of racing. Gotta give him kudos for that. :rockon

Cheers,
D

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Quac said:
"Sorry, not gonna work after the third or fourth year....nothing personal, just spreadsheet material."

That's OK roadkill cause I'm gonna have a KICKASS track in my backyard.
Something we have been dreaming about for many, many years. Thanks to Larry Miller.

Las Vegas is about 330 miles away (6 hours drive time), would you drive 6 hours to see a AMA race, drink real, cold beer (it can be done, just ask my liver), hiking or mountain bike in some beautiful mountains and walk in a city with your only fear is possibly being converted to the Mormon Church?

Think about this. During the spring, and with the location of the track, I'll be able to go and drag my knuckles on Saturday and then go drag my knees on Sunday. Nirvana!
We may be "out in nowhere", that may be an appeal to some people, but the track will hold more then an AMA race http://www.millermotorsportspark.com/index.cfm and these may not have the draw of a NASCAR race but they will still draw race fans to the area. Also the track will be very busy with club racing, open track days, kart racing and lots more.

Strange as it may sound, Larry Miller is not in it to make lotsa money, he is a race fan and loves to race his collection of Cobras and GT40s. He is building a 1st class facility not for the money but for his love of racing. Gotta give him kudos for that.

Cheers,
D
Larry Miller sounds exactly like George Barber.....major kudos to the both of them.

Look, I am NOT knocking SLC, I am NOT knocking Utah. But population proximity is crucial to success. Road Atlanta draws about 25,000 more or less to its AMA event and if you use the six-hour driving time rule (pretty true), there are about five times as many people within six hours of Atlanta as there are within six hours of SLC. So, unless there is some strange cosmic aura over that area, they are going to be looking at 6-8,000 people after the thrill wears off. That won't support an AMA event. Look at Brainerd...poof.

Oh, and if Las Vegas is 330 miles from SLC, then that is not six hours away on an R6...more like three. :D But then again, what do I know? My street days are over unless I get a scooter. 105 in a 45 will set you back a grand in Georgia....track days are waaaay cheaper.

Wish you well on your new backyard playground. Send pics.

·
Registered
250 Posts
mr. miller is the owner of CDR (continetal divide raceway) he owns the utah jazz also.

this track was suppose to be built here in colorado on the land where CDR is... too bad the shit hole town of mead did not want it there. all 80 people that voted. wow

this track from what i hear is going to be the premier track in the United States...

·
Registered
176 Posts
i got to ask a stupid question, cause after looking at the track pics i'm sweating all ready. whats the average daytime temp in the middle of june for that area. there ain't a tree to be seen for miles.

·
Registered
61 Posts
bdfinally said:
i got to ask a stupid question, cause after looking at the track pics i'm sweating all ready. whats the average daytime temp in the middle of june for that area. there ain't a tree to be seen for miles.
Not a stupid question, cause it is a desert and the temp can get in the 100s but averages in the mid-90s during the summer with some fairly strong afternoon winds.

The track is being built on a prehistoric lake bed so it is flat, but Alan Wilson, the designer of the track (with many other world class tracks on his resume') has put in some elevation changes and there'll be some burms with trees on the outside of the track to, hopefully, minimize the effects of the winds.

I kinda agree with roadkill that "population proximity is crucial to success" but with Utah's other attractions maybe race fans can make the track a success. The old adage "build and they will come" could very well come true.

Nevertheless, Larry Miller is making the dream come true for alot of us and I look forward to chasing alot of Speedzilla members ,especially Dryheat, around Miller Motorsports Park.

Cheers,
D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Quac said:
Nevertheless, Larry Miller is making the dream come true for alot of us and I look forward to chasing alot of Speedzilla members ,especially Dryheat, around Miller Motorsports Park.

Cheers,
D
Unless you get a new bike... you won't be chasing for long! :D

Man, I can't wait. You KNOW I'll be there! I heard they're gonna have a monthly race series, like WSMC. Also, Freddie Spencer is doing summer riding schools there. You better start saving your money bro, 'cause life just got really expensive for you! :woot:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts