Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys have this jacket? Your input? Seems to be one of the better buys for decent leather I have seen. Anyone have a good source for them? Local Cyclegear has them for $319, plus I can get 10% off. Any place cheaper you guys know of??
TIA

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm shopping for one to. I have two buddies that have them now and they swear by them. I have tried them on to find my size and I love the fit, even though that sucker is heavy. Cycle Gear was the best price I found also. How do you get your 10% off from them? Military?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: (CaliDuc)

I have to admit that I've had my eyes on that jacket as well. A guy I know has one and says it's great, especially for the price. I liked that fact that the armor and liner are removable and there is some venting as well. Do you mind if I also inquire about your discount?

Regards,

Jeff

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: (Jeff H.)

TZ-1 while bottom of the line Alpine Star wise is a quality jacket. I have it. It has four crashes to it's name. So far no real damage to the jacket itself.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: (enigmamdw)

Well, I went and picked the jacket up. Just a heads up to your guys, the online price is $319.99, but the store has them marked $339.99. They will honor the online price as long as you tell them about it. They said the $339.99 is the new price increase as per Alpinestars. I got a great deal on it, as I didn't even pay the $319.

Took it for a ride and love it so far. Quality seems very nice. Still stiff, but needs to be broken in. It's probably one of the best deals for a quality leather jacket IMHO.

FYI, CycleGear has a few of the Dianese Trax Jackets for $399 right now. Regular retail is $579. They didn't have my size or I would have spent the extra coin.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like a great jacket at a great price. I'm curious to hear about the fit and the effectiveness of the venting. I currently wear a Dainese jacket, the Borja I think. It's heavily armored and has a quilted lining that gets way too hot in our 90+ degree summers. I'm about a 42 long where the Dainese runs a tad snug at 44/54. The liner probably doesn't help though. Any input on how that TZ-1 fits would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Jeff

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: (Jeff H.)

Jeff:
Fit is pretty good. They run a little small like the Dainese. I would say definitely try one on before you buy if you get the opportunity. Either that or go one size bigger than you normally wear. I am 6'3" 210 pounds and I got a 48/58. I normally wear 46/56. The sleeves are long enough which is nice. Shoulders are a little tight, but I think it will be fine. The overall length is great and plenty long. It has the hard armor in it which is removable. Some people complain about the forearm armor being too hard and bothering their elbows. It doesn't bother me, but then again I am no body builder and have a girlfriend so my forearms aren't huge.
I figured if it bothered me that I would just line the inside of the armor with a 1/4" foam, but it isn't an issue thus far. I have also heard people complain about the neck portion being very hard and stiff, but say once broken in that it is a non issue. I have to agree, it IS very stiff, but I am sure it will get better. It comes with a liner which is removable. The liner is more of a vest and doesn't line the sleeves.

We lucked out on the weather today and it was only 80 degrees. The venting felt fine (Liner removed). I will be able to tell more next week, as it is supposed to hit triple digits here. Will let you know if you want.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: (CaliDuc)

Yes the Neck IS stiff for the first month or so of wear (ride everyday 30min-1hr)

My jacket has the 1in. think hard flex foam (prior to the rubber elbow change) So I never had the problem of uncomfortable elbows.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: (enigmamdw)

Excellent work CaliDuc, they do fit like a cardboard box for a while, my Spool suit wwas like climbing into personalise cave for a while, it is still "set" in its way but much much better,

I put leather conditioner on mine and left it in the sun to heat in and that worked very well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts